Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Soooo... let's talk about Batman Eternal 4?

Hello? Is anyone there?

So um... Batman Eternal 4, right? Jim Gordon is not doing too well... does anyone recognize that guy he shares a cell with? I feel like he should be a character I'm forgetting, but he very well could be new.

Also, pretty clear how Barbara gets to the point of doing the tango of death with Scorpiana on that cover for #11.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I'm here!

I thought the issue was pretty good and I do like seeing Wrath and Emperor Penguin (or is it Emperor Blackgate now?) popping up at the end there.

Astonishing Member

It's always grand to see Dustin Nguyen drawing Stephanie Brown. Her stuff is what I'm most into, and the twist there is something to pay attention to. But Batman and Batgirl were really good, too, actually. Well-characterized, good classic interaction. And plenty of "Bruce Wayne" as opposed to just Batman. I'm curious about the Batgirl storyline now.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I'm here!

I thought the issue was pretty good and I do like seeing Wrath and Emperor Penguin (or is it Emperor Blackgate now?) popping up at the end there.
    ...I just realized that those were both Layman villains, and he wrote the issue. Damn, I'm slow today.

Well, it hasn't taken long for Steph to be hit by the 'New 52 Effect'! Having said that, the reveal in this issue does make some sense in the context of how it seems Stephanie will be developing throughout the story. This time around, she really is on her own.

Always Rakzo

As I mentioned before:

The worldbuilding continues to be strong by including some interesting aspects about Blackgate and some of the criminals that were imprisoned there. Plus, the Stephanie Brown scenes are always great to behold despite that she's mostly running for her life. However, I don't feel like many interesting plot-points were introduced or developed here in comparison to previous issues. I have more thoughts.

I was worried that this book would suffer as it passed from team to team, but if this issue is any indication, my concerns were foundless.

Another decent issue. I like pissed off Babs. The whole gen pop thing.

Looking forward to next week already.

My favorite issue so far. Really invested in this title!
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Lanza View Post
    My favorite issue so far. Really invested in this title!
    Sucks that this is one of the four or five issues Layman is doing and then he is gone.

Extraordinary Member

I'm here too. Had to re-register. What happened? Did the Y2K bug have some stupid clone of a future version of itself spawn in the wrong time line?

Anyways, I could tell this was a kind of Chapter 2 or Night 2 of Eternal. I appreciate the Gordon focus we have here, and Babs's brief renewal of Oracle style investigative style. Commish is gonna have to shank a foo' in the next few issues, too.

I'm thinking they might have just confirmed Falcone is Selina's father here. At the least, that "unfinished business" is going to be cool to see

And I do appreciate cutting off Steph's resources and contacts. She must have heard something about the cops while taken prisoner. So either Falcone has an equal partner, or he's Mr. Still-Hiding-In-The-Shadow's unwitting pawn. And it's implied Tim's going to run into her first, right? Maybe he's her first benefactor for a few issues and gives her her gear?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I really liked this issue.

I enjoyed the new art style. It was different than the last arc but very clean and pleasant looking.

I love how they had to make a comment about Steph using the last pay phone in Gotham. They really have disappeared from the world. Sad really, since they are great in emergencies.

Batgirl is pretty angsty but I think all of us would be given similar circumstances. It was actually nice to see the roles reversed on Bruce and Babs from when he was mourning Damian.

Carmine Falcone is a boss. I love the way he can stare down Batman and have a pleasant conversation with him.

I really feel sorry for Gordon. He is in a VERY bad situation.

Extraordinary Member

There really is something cool about The Roman returning to Gotham. He practically was the city before Brice came in, and seeing the suits strike back against the freaks is already an engaging concept. And I'm curious just how much Selina's going to go suit when she takes over. It seems impossible they'll completely remove her costume tricks, but you never know.

Not bad. Batgirl was cool. Love seeing her in glasses, and it makes sense that she's not taking this well. Steph's mom is a ***** though.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Enjoyed this. Really loved Batgirl in this issue. It was nice to see her taking charge and using her brain. I'm really interested in the Gordon story. I can't wait to see what kinda s**t he has to go through while in prison.

This was my favourite issue of Eternal yet. Liked how the plot is seamlessly handed over to a new writer by the method of bringing Batgirl in, Seeleys version of her is remarkably distinct and for once, actually interesting and likeable. The Roman was wearing proper clothes and Gordon in prison is such a badarse idea I'm surprised it's taken this long.