Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not a bad ish. Who was that in the cell at the end?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

At the very end of the book, we saw Emperor Penguin/Blackgate and Wrath, but one of the characters there I didn't recognized called Helzinger. Looking him up, he's apparently a crook called Amygdala. I honestly don't know much about the villain and was surprised by the name drop. You guys know anything about the villain? Has he appeared in the New 52 before and I missed it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    At the very end of the book, we saw Emperor Penguin/Blackgate and Wrath, but one of the characters there I didn't recognized called Helzinger. Looking him up, he's apparently a crook called Amygdala. I honestly don't know much about the villain and was surprised by the name drop. You guys know anything about the villain? Has he appeared in the New 52 before and I missed it?
    He's... "special".

Astonishing Member

This issue was alright, but kind of ruined the momentum of the first 3 issues. I enjoyed those 3 more than all of the Batman monthly so far.

Always good to see Dustin Nguyen drawing Steph again.

Extraordinary Member

Has he appeared in the New 52 before and I missed it?
    According to Comic Vine he has shown up in Resurrection Man and Nightwing. From what I could make of those issues he is probably an inmate in Resurrection Man but the Nightwing issue is a Zero Year tie in so maybe he is a friend of Dick's.

Is Catwoman being Falcone's daughter some kind of common knowledge thing that I missed? That would make so much sense if it happens, and tie into the "Selina Kyle" thing introduced in JLA.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    This issue was alright, but kind of ruined the momentum of the first 3 issues. I enjoyed those 3 more than all of the Batman monthly so far.

Issues 4-7 will focus on setting up each writer's various subplots for the rest of the run. After 7, Eternal will return to the three issue story arc model.

...one of the characters there I didn't recognized called Helzinger. Looking him up, he's apparently a crook called Amygdala. I honestly don't know much about the villain and was surprised by the name drop. You guys know anything about the villain? Has he appeared in the New 52 before and I missed it?
    Good catch!

Amygdala was in Knightfall. He's ripped like the hulk and has no control over his emotions, a la his name.

He's known for flying into sudden bezerker rages.

Ventriloquist kept him at bay with Socko while they searched for Scarface in that story.

He's only made a few appearances.

This is his new 52 debut.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    According to Comic Vine he has shown up in Resurrection Man and Nightwing.
    oop...I didn't know this.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This was actually the first issue of this series I picked up, and I loved it. I want more of Nguyen's art and while I know where these stories are going, I have to admit that I'm most psyched for Steph's portion. I love how she's still Steph, for the most part, though the fact that Crystal is also kinda... crummy, has me worried. This isn't a drug addiction. This is something totally different.

Loved how Batgirl was depicted in this story. Hope we see more of her soon. Best issue of Eternal so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    Loved how Batgirl was depicted in this story. Hope we see more of her soon. Best issue of Eternal so far.
    A lot cleaner than last week. It didn't waste time with long monologue recaps, and it showed the situation progressing. We're starting to see the story gel together into one narrative. Batgirl and Blackgate were both compelling, but once again Steph stole the show. I just wish Dick wasn't "dead" and he could fill a role in the tale.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Yeah. It was all right, but mostly felt like it was marking time and rearranging the pieces for the next major development. Even Babs' anger and conflict with Bruce didn't amount to very much, and had a distinct "paint-by-numbers" feel to it. I also agree with other posters that Layman missed a couple of opportunities to at least nod to other aspects of the Bat Mythos.
    I thought it was merely okay as well for the reasons listed here. I've never been 100% happy with Layman as far as his Batman work is concerned though. I don't find any of his Batman work to be as good as CHEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

I felt the same about the momentum being a bit ruined here, which was something I was hoping wouldn't happen.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Wow. Very nice issue setting up stuff down the road. Steph's mom was a bit of a shock...disappointment. I'm kind of getting tired of DC's "No hero happiness" rule. I guess no more waffles. sad.

This is the team that needs to be on Batgirl. Move Gail over to Birds of Prey where they really need her and give these guys some room to move on that title. (But then Nguyen is awesome just about anywhere.)

All-New Member

I'm pretty upset about Crystal being in league with Arthur. I get where they're going from a narrative perspective -- establishing that this is a conspiracy that has its tendrils everywhere and Steph can't trust anyone -- but they could have done that without sacrificing Steph and Crystal's relationship, which is such a central one. (Oh, but I forgot, in the DCnU heroes aren't allowed to be happy ever.)

And I know that Arthur may not be an abusive husband/father in this continuity, but it still kind of sickens me to see Crystal working with him.