Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Best DC Comics Animated Series, Ranked

From "Teen Titans" to "Batman: The Animated Series," CBR ranks the greatest DC Comics-based cartoons of all-time.

Full article here.

How in thunder does "Beware the Batman" make the list? Even if you like the arbitrary changes to the characters, or the loss of the proper rogue's gallery, or the crappy-looking empty streets of Gotham... you can't argue with results, and this was the Batman show so bad it lasted half a season or less.

EDIT: Whoops! Yeah, that last part is wrong. Mea culpa, see below.
    Last edited by baronvonblackheart; 08-18-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: I was wrong

BTAS is not just best DC's animated series, it's THE best animated series and one of the best version of Batman. Good top 10, but Beware the Batman was absolute boring crap, i can't believe it's in the list.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

How is Teen Titans GO! not on the list? Everyone knows it's the greatest animated series ever! (ducks)
    Assassinate Putin!

All-New Member

Young Justice might have been a good animated show on its own, but it was terrible in regards to the comics. Not only did it completely disregard the original Young Justice team, it had completely awful characterizations of the characters that it did try to adapt.

And how can you say that Batman: the Brave and the Bold is not for adults? It's got so many in-jokes and nod to Silver Age comics that kids definitely wouldn't get. I watched it for the first time as an adult and it's my favorite DC animated show. It gave us an animated JLI! I was happy to see it on this list.
    Last edited by calypsocoin; 08-18-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Phew! Made it back before anyone else pointed out that I was totally wrong. Looks like they DID air a full season of Beware the Batman... it disappeared for a long time and I lost track of it. My bad. I still did strongly dislike what I saw of it though.

-- I'm more surprised that "Beware the Batman" was there. I thought the animation was much better in "Green Lantern" if we're talking CGI DC and I honestly just couldn't get past Batman's lips - they looked odd. Surprised they didn't mention Katana though seeing as how she's such a breakout now.
    -- All due respect to "B:TAS" I wouldn't put it as #1. Its historical significance cannot be understated, and while that series started everything, I think they ended up taking it and improved upon it with the culmination of JLU. I also don't think the animation holds up as much as the stuff that came after.
    -- I loved "GL:TAS" - glad to see it made the list. It really only just scratched the surface of the DC outer space stories and did a great job incorporating GL mythos with the greater DC cosmic playpen.

Amazing Member

Young Justice was fine, but I thought the second season wasn't anywhere near as good as the first, and any list like this that doesn't have the four Timm shows (Superman, Beyond, JLA/JLU, and BTAS) as the top four - in any order - is just wrong.

I would have easily put the original "Super Friends" on there in place of "Beware the Batman." If nothing, the original theme music, Ted Knight's narration and the design of the Hall of Justice warrant the slot.

I must be one of the few people who actually watched and enjoyed Beware the Batman in its entirety .
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    Young Justice was fine, but I thought the second season wasn't anywhere near as good as the first, and any list like this that doesn't have the four Timm shows (Superman, Beyond, JLA/JLU, and BTAS) as the top four - in any order - is just wrong.
    I enjoyed Young Justice, and a lot about season 2, but I did think season 2 lost some of what made season 1 so great with the time-skip and the big, expansive, focus and sub-plots.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soldy View Post
    BTAS is not just best DC's animated series, it's THE best animated series and one of the best version of Batman. Good top 10, but Beware the Batman was absolute boring crap, i can't believe it's in the list.

"American" animated series...but I agree though.

They should have replaced "Beware the Batman" with "Static Shock" and the list would have been near perfect.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Glad to see GL:TAS made the list - but I think it deserved a much higher spot.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Astonishing Member

There was no choice for numero uno.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- All due respect to "B:TAS" I wouldn't put it as #1. Its historical significance cannot be understated, and while that series started everything, I think they ended up taking it and improved upon it with the culmination of JLU. I also don't think the animation holds up as much as the stuff that came after.
    It's not really about any of that, though. It presented one of, if not, the best all around versions of Batman's world with style and substance in equal measure. I think the animation holds up just fine. Honestly, those first 3 seasons are near perfect.