Super Moderator

Default Joss Whedon's Favorite "Angel" Death Led To "The Avengers'" Post-Credits Scene

Whedon revealed how one particularly long day of shooting resulted in "The Avengers'" post-credits scene.

Full article here.

That Angel episode, "A Whole In The World," is quite possibly my favorite episode of any Whedon show (or any show at all?!)

Of course, its impact is somewhat dependent on a season's worth of plotting and years of accumulated affection for the characters, so I wouldn't say "if you only watch one episode, watch this!" but man is it good. It is, objectively, expertly crafted by any measure, it just uses what came before so integrally that you might need to have seen that stuff to appreciate how skillful the execution is.
    Last edited by TOTALITY; 08-18-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    That Angel episode, "A Whole In The World," is quite possibly my favorite episode of any Whedon show (or any show at all?!)

Of course, its impact is somewhat dependent on a season's worth of plotting and years of accumulated affection for the characters, so I wouldn't say "if you only watch one episode, watch this!" but man is it good. It is, objectively, expertly crafted by any measure, it just uses what came before so integrally that you might need to have seen that stuff to appreciate how skillful the execution is.
    As great as that was, for me Wesley's death edges it out as my fav as the sortof bookend to Fred's death. Also, with Fred it wasn't automatically clear she was dead in that moment so that lessened the impact.

Oh yeah, I've actually thought before about how my enjoyment of the episode was probably enhanced by watching it for the first time in a binge years after it aired, having been mildly spoiled that Fred dies midway through season 5. This was underscored when I watched the whole series again with a friend, and through that episode she was like "it's silly how over the top everyone's concern is, she's obviously going to be fine by the end of the episode" and I didn't want to come out and say otherwise for fear of spoiling it. Probably some lesson to be learned there..?

But yeah, that final episode is really great too, that moment being a standout in an episode full of payoffs. And such a perfect final scene..

BANNED

For a guy who made such a big public noisy point of walking away from Marvel, Whedon sure is spending an inordinate amount of time reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    That Angel episode, "A Hole In The World," is quite possibly my favorite episode of any Whedon show (or any show at all?!)

Not to be mean or anything, but fixed it for you

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    For a guy who made such a big public noisy point of walking away from Marvel, Whedon sure is spending an inordinate amount of time reminiscing about the good ol' days.
    I don't think it was ever a case of him hating Marvel.... He'd been burnt out by that time anyway

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    an inordinate amount of time
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

That was a great episode and still gets me to this day. Also kind of makes me sad that Amy Acker hasn't been a bigger star, as I think she is an amazing actress.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Also kind of makes me sad that Amy Acker hasn't been a bigger star, as I think she is an amazing actress.
    Couldn't agree more. Hopefully she'll land another regular gig now that POI is done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    I'm 100% certain it means exactly what I think it means.