Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Last I checked, that's not what Snyder is saying. She's saying that it is relatable for someone to be morose in the fact of massive public backlash and multiple experiences of trying to do the right thing only to have it literally blow up in your face. I challenge anyone who would argue that someone wouldn't struggle emotionally in the face of that much fear, hatred, and blame directed towards you just because you are different.

I won't even disagree with your main point. The problem is their execution of that idea was pitiful, sloppy and just silly. It's like you've explained the idea of alienation better in a few sentences than they did in a 2hr long film. It's like they heard about those ideas but never actually talked to a person who really experienced it.

Astonishing Member

The war for relatable hero has already been won, down on their luck nerds and filthy rich playboys with tragic backstories are in and reporters from space are out. Trying to force it is just turning people off to the character.

Embrace 40's badass Superman and drop the Jesus stuff; having him put people through walls at lightspeed while also posing on imaginary crosses don't mesh well. Have him tossing around crooks like they're made papier-mâché, jumping into wars to stop casualties, less concerned with the law passed by congress and more focused on the wellbeing of the little guy at the same time he's still having all those out there crazy adventures.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I like this Superman more than the one currently in the comics. Maybe it's the New 52 fanboy in me. But the old Superman was never this good in my opinion. The characters in these films have far more realistic characterizations, superpowers aside. For an alien that came to Earth to be raised like a human. He's pretty damn human, vs the other Clark Kent's that failed at even pulling that off (Post-Flashpoint included). This feels like how Marvel movies should've been like. I enjoy watching this character grow. Especially when we're going to have to see him for 10+ movies. I rather not die of boredom like so many other CBM have me feeling today. People may not settle for the change. But I'll sure as hell enjoy it while it lasts.

I also like how the Kent's aren't a perfect idea parental legion. They're just good parents.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    nor is stepping gracefully over a thrown gas truck and allowing it to blow up the building behind you
    Lol this is like the funniest thing I've heard all day. That's totally what he did! He's all like "ha ha your feeble gas truck kicking doesn't work on me, Zod!!" lol

On a serous note though, I think there were more effective and clearer ways to communicate Superman's inexperience in a fight. Snyder has this strange Jim "splash page that sh!t" Lee mentality about film. When it's people moving on screen you can't just go for the shots that will look the coolest or whatever.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-18-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    No lie on Marvel's Captain America being a Superman's Superman. But I still don't get how Superman is relatable. Is it just his ability to be depressed? Or because his Mom's name is Martha? Or is it his ability to fly? Or his super speed? Or his super strength? Or the way he shoots fricken laser beams out of his eyes? Or is it because he's from another planet that makes him like us?

I always thought the best Superman portrayal's were INSPIRATIONAL not RELATABLE...
    That's it! Superman is who we'd ASPIRE to be, not who we ARE. That's why was so popular...at least until recently??

Incredible Member

I was willing to give MOS the benefit of the doubt, but BvS was a well made film with a lot of bad ideas... It appeals to the angry fifteen year old in every fan.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedvFury View Post
    I like this Superman more than the one currently in the comics. Maybe it's the New 52 fanboy in me. But the old Superman was never this good in my opinion. The characters in these films have far more realistic characterizations, superpowers aside. For an alien that came to Earth to be raised like a human. He's pretty damn human, vs the other Clark Kent's that failed at even pulling that off (Post-Flashpoint included). This feels like how Marvel movies should've been like. I enjoy watching this character grow. Especially when we're going to have to see him for 10+ movies. I rather not die of boredom like so many other CBM have me feeling today. People may not settle for the change. But I'll sure as hell enjoy it while it lasts.

I also like how the Kent's aren't a perfect idea parental legion. They're just good parents.
    At least you're honest about not liking the more classic Superman. But IMO, it's better if people who actually like the character were involved in making the movies.

Fantastic Member

To me, superhero movies are so much better when they respect the spirit of the comic they're based on. Yes, Superman has been published for more than 70 years, and there have been all kinds of stories with varied tone, but the majority of the stories, the "iconic" takes, have been of a hopeful, inspirational, relatively light-hearted superhero. It's not that all superhero stories should be light and fun, it's just that Superman should be light and fun. If they get around to making a Miracleman movie or a Planetary movie, then yeah, I'd like it to be dark. Likewise with the Wilds Cards TV show that is in the making. But Superman should not be gritty. Even so, a dark, gritty Superman movie COULD work, it's just that it is an uphill battle, going against the spirit of the franchise, but it might work. It's just that in addition to being gritty, the movies also were immature and pseudo-philosophical. It's an angry teenager view of what is gritty.

BANNED

I know they try to make a Superman related to modern times, but that's the thing about the big S is that he shows us that we as humanity can be better than this. The whole Jesus aspect of the character, while has been done before, is a bit of a turn off for me.

If only the Snyders read some of the BETTER SUPERMAN stories like Miracle Monday or Superman: Secret Identity, then it could have been a better movie.

Incredible Member

Today I learned that there are TWO Snyders who are clueless morons. Superman is barely even a character, much less a relatable person, in those awful movies.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For years, people have hated on Superman for not being relateable.

Now, the Snyders do a less than perfect attempt at making him so, and the tune changes. "He was never supposed to be relateable, he's meant to be better than us, and light in tone, etc." Nobody, fanbase or professional creators, know what the hell they want out of this character, and it's no surprise that everything about him and his property is so divisive right now.

For my part, I had no trouble empathizing with Clark in this, even in the butchered theatrical cut where most of his scenes got cut. I also generally take offense to people calling him a whiner or depressive mope just for being more introverted than a lot of other portrayals. I'm an introvert, but just because I don't smile like an idiot or make a big speech every 5 minutes, it doesn't mean I'm depressed. The way people go on about him, you'd think DCEU Clark was basically Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia: just lying in bed all day, refusing to bathe and telling Lois that her plans are pieces of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Last I checked, that's not what Snyder is saying. She's saying that it is relatable for someone to be morose in the face of massive public backlash and multiple experiences of trying to do the right thing only to have it literally blow up in your face. I challenge anyone who would argue that someone wouldn't struggle emotionally in the face of that much fear, hatred, and blame directed towards you just because you are different.
    And I'm saying two things, first I don't think Snyder's Superman is terribly relatable. He's morose, directionless, and only acts when forced to, in most cases. Secondly, I would find it both relatable and in the spirit of the character if he was met with fear and distrust and work in an inspirational manner to be a hero or even of better moral character than those distrusting him.

And that is IF relatablity in Superman is important to you. It is to me and I find a Superman who works to inspire others and do the most good with his gifts as he can to be very relatable (without the melancholy and infinite sadness, and neck breaking).
    Last edited by Hutchimus Prime; 08-18-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For years, people have hated on Superman for not being relateable.

Now, the Snyders do a less than perfect attempt at making him so, and the tune changes. "He was never supposed to be relateable, he's meant to be better than us, and light in tone, etc." Nobody, fanbase or professional creators, know what the hell they want out of this character, and it's no surprise that everything about him and his property is so divisive right now.

For my part, I had no trouble empathizing with Clark in this, even in the butchered theatrical cut where most of his scenes got cut. I also generally take offense to people calling him a whiner or depressive mope just for being more introverted than a lot of other portrayals. I'm an introvert, but just because I don't smile like an idiot or make a big speech every 5 minutes, it doesn't mean I'm depressed. The way people go on about him, you'd think DCEU Clark was basically Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia: just lying in bed all day, refusing to bathe and telling Lois that her plans are pieces of ****.
    This.

Honestly I think as a whole,the fan base doesn't really know what it wants. It's kind of like herding cats.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BWA-HA-HA!

Banana Oil!

So, you're saying you did a good job, and your husband isn't a total hack? Mmm-hmm, interesting, thanks for stopping by.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This.

Honestly I think as a whole,the fan base doesn't really know what it wants. It's kind of like herding cats.
    Yeah. It's not that Snyder's flawed execution of these ideas isn't partially to blame, but the fanbase is already fractured when it comes to the comics. Post Crisis fans vs. Silver Age fans vs. New 52 fans vs. Superdad fans. And that's not even getting into stuff like Reeves. Snyder experimenting and not doing a totally great job (but certainly not bad) was always going to be on the receiving end of some fandom vitriol.

I have an easy time seeing why Batman is more popular. He can be in extremely dark stories, or very silly ones, and still be Batman. Superman fans don't want the character to be as versatile, and the lack of versatility is a weakness.