Spectacular Member

Default Greatest Star Trek Comics of All-Time

Hey Everybody,

I'm a big Star Trek fan, but newer to the comic book world. I was wondering, what are the best star trek comics that you guys have read over the years. Really I'm looking for anything Star Trek related, any of the different series'. Deep Space Nine is my favorite Trek Series, so if there any cool stories dealing with that crew that'd be even better. I've read that John Byrne had some good stories and his hardcover collection looks like something I'd want to check out, but if there's anything else worth looking at I'd greatly appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

DS9 representation in comics has been hit and miss. From 1993-1996 the DS9 licensing rights belonged to the now defunct publisher Malibu, and their output was probably the best. They had an ongoing monthly as well as a handful of mini-series, one-shots and annuals. The stories were a mixed bag, but the art was almost always above average. DC was publishing ongoing books for both TOS and TNG at the same time (those series each lasting 80 issues + annuals/specials) and I highly recommend both.

Marvel had the license next, but not for long. In about 2 yrs time they dropped a lot of crappy comics, including a DS9 ongoing that ran 15 or 16 issues. It was highly skippable.

Between 2000-2004 Wildstorm published all things Trek. They never did a monthly series, but they did a lot of good stuff; mostly VOY since that was the only show still on TV. They had the honor of printing the first post-"What You Leave Behind" DS9 work in a mini-series titled N Vector that was pretty decent. Unfortunately it was also very Quark-centric, and I'm not a Ferengi fan.

That brings us to IDW, who has been producing Star Trek since... 2007 or 2008 I believe? I haven't read a lot of it, but what I have has been mostly disappointing; the exception being the current monthly that is set in the new JJ Abrams continuity. Their sole DS9 project was a horrible mini-series titled Fools Gold that should be avoided at all costs.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

I started off reading the gold key series way back when . Then read the marvel series . I like the old gold keys best . Still trying to replace them find a few here and there .

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the input guys.

All-New Member

The pre-2009 film mini-series "Countdown" is exceptionally good in terms of both story and art--serves as the prequel/backstory for the reboot and features The Next Generation. A true highlight.

If you like Doctor Who too, I heard that the crossover: Assimilation² is really good (it's TNG and the 11th Doctor but there is a TOS and 4th Doctor issue where Kirk dropkicks a cyberman, which sounds awesome).

I saw a video on Youtube about a year ago regarding what Trek comics are worth checking out.

Basically, everything written by Peter David is good, as is the graphic novel Debt of Honor by Chris Claremont and Adam Hughes.