Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, Devin Faraci of Birth.Movies.Death just casually dropped in this tidbit in a follow-up about "Zendaya as MJ"

If this is true, I'm not crazy about this at all. Because it would be Jason Gordon Levitt's "John Blake" from The Dark Knight Rises all over again. After all, if Zendaya is this film's version of Mary Jane, why not just call her "Mary Jane" and be done with it?
    Yeah, if she's going to be Mary Jane, then just call her that. Don't just go half-way.

But I thought about whether they might do this, given they might be changing Flash's first name to accomodate the race-change. Maybe the same way with "Ned Leeds" being "Ned Lee" like in Spectacular.

Maybe they just didn't think Mary Jane worked as a name for a teenager in 2016? Like "Laurel vs. Dinah" Lance on Arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    Seriously...? No words.
    Apologies - it's 13.3% according to 2015 stats

Get your breath

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Too bad there's pretty much zero chance of a Mary Jane using a vapid airhead personality to hide her emotional damage because we can't have multilayered characters. That might "offend" some people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    https://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ

At 2:08 Mc duffie references your nonsensical argument....this is fantasy and also a business that aims to reach multiple groups and include them in the love of these franchises. It amazes me that white men who can wholly buy into people who fly and people who are purple and live in other galaxies resist people of color infiltrating these stories...sad.

Oh and before you state why don't they create new superheroes of color and people will support I'll leave this link to the comments section for Marvels new character mosiac
    http://community.comicbookresources....mping-Antihero

take a look at many of those comments.

This one was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, Devin Faraci of Birth.Movies.Death just casually dropped in this tidbit in a follow-up about "Zendaya as MJ"

If this is true, I'm not crazy about this at all. Because it would be Jason Gordon Levitt's "John Blake" from The Dark Knight Rises all over again. After all, if Zendaya is this film's version of Mary Jane, why not just call her "Mary Jane" and be done with it?
    Michelle Jean Watson sounds like a terrible name.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid1 View Post
    Nothing McDuffie says there, disproves my previous statement - just because he was a writer doesn't mean he is correct about demographics or anything else in general, as he seems quick to put up the strawman

Not once have I said anything about black people infiltrating stories - do not say or imply that I did

I could not care for anything that comes from Marvel at the minute - they are a perfect example of what happens to a company; when you have sjw convergence on all levels - the creativity goes out of the window

When people make the whinge about new characters being hard to create; they always forget that Image, Valiant & IDW do well without Wolverine and Batman, I'm also pretty sure Spawn is black, popular and in terms of comic book history, he's still relatively new on the scene

Shoe horning these palette swaps in; is pure laziness on behalf of the 'creators' who are pandering
    He speaks directly to your 13 percent bs.
    Its convenient for you to ignore a clear example of some posters not only not supporting a new original chapter...but in some posts saying 'no thanks...he Is weird....and black'.

Valiant image? Who are the hugely popular characters of color from those companies? Savage dragon? Spawn was a black character in name only....his face is burnt up and when he changed it could only be inti a blue eyed white guy....please spare me. And it maybe helped tôd McFarlane was wr iting and drawing a he was the most popular comic artist in America at the time...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    He speaks directly to your 13 percent bs ...that doesn't mean anything in a fantasy world. ..instead its your justifying your need for white power fantasies to remain white.
    Its convenient for you to ignore a clear example of some posters not only not supporting a new original chapter...but in some posts saying 'no thanks...he Is weird....and black'.

Valiant image? Who are the hugely popular characters of color from those companies? Savage dragon? Spawn was a black character in name only....his face is burnt up and when he changed it could only be inti a blue eyed white guy....please spare me. And it maybe helped tôd McFarlane was wr iting and drawing a he was the most popular comic artist in America at the time...
    Oh

So real world demographics should be ignored for the fantasy world then.

Also I do not speak for other people who have commented on an unrelated thread

That is a new character - this is an established character; that is being changed purely to push the diversity narrative
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid1 View Post
    Oh

So real world demographics should be ignored for the fantasy world then

Also I do not speak for other people who have commented on an unrelated thread

That is a new character - this is an established character; that is being changed purely to push the diversity narrative
    Should demographic percentages of the world be taken into account when creating fictional teams? Lol.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Keep it civil, folks.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That same argument can be applied to most non-white characters in comics. Is Wally West's wife Linda Park "about a race"? What is it about her character that says she needs to be Korean-American? If characters like Iris West or Mary Jane don't need to be Caucasian, the same thing goes for a huge portion of minority characters, especially if they are supporting characters. Yet, if you question the decision to cast a non-white actor as an originally white character, you're labeled a close-minded bigot. This is exhausting.
    Bit late to the party, but I just wanted to say that you're right, there are a lot of characters of colour where race isn't a defining factor. Linda Park, Amanda Waller etc aren't defined by their race and could indeed be race-bended (bent?) in a similar way to the Wests etc. And if for the last however-many-decades there had been equal representation on the page and screen then it probably wouldn't be an issue if they were, but there isn't and hasn't been that kind of balance. So rather than redressing the balance, making Linda Park or Amanda Waller white would remove one of the handful of people of colour in comics, with no benefit whatsoever besides making the comics universe a whiter place than it already is. These are basically stories from the 40's/50's/60's, when racial diversity wasn't even a consideration, being reimagined in today's world. Had Spider-man been written today many of the characters would probably have been people of colour, so since they're being reimagined today, they're cast as such. When/if racial inequality is a thing of the past and representation is more balanced, when a superhero movie with a black character in the lead or casting a black actor to play Iris West or Mary Jane isn't news or comment worthy, then maybe 'race-bending' the other way won't be an issue, but it's produced 14 pages of comment just on here so I don't think we're there yet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Thing is when you're a majority, you tend to ignore what happens to minorities, unless it DIRECTLY affects you.
    Throughout Cinema and even today, The vast majority of American releases feature whites, primarily white males saving the world, city, what have you. They even took minorities and still do, (Great Wall) and then turn them into white folks.

I have correct you on this.
    The great wall film was filmed in china and i think most of the cast are chinese citizens,so the minorties in this film and in china would be whites.The whites in the film by the way i think are mercenaries not native chinese citizens.I think the film is half or mostly chinese made as well.

Here some more info about the film.
    The Great Wall is an upcoming American-Chinese 3D epic science fantasy monster-adventure action film, directed by Zhang Yimou and written by Tony Gilroy, Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro, Max Brooks, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz. The film stars Matt Damon, Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe, and Andy Lau.

Principal photography began on March 30, 2015, in Qingdao, China. The film is scheduled to be released in China in December 2016 by Le Vision Pictures and China Film Group Corporation and in IMAXand conventional formats in the United States on February 17, 2017 by Universal Pictures. The Great Wall will be Lau's first film role in a Hollywood production and his second collaboration with director Zhang.
    Controversy
    Due to some of the characters, including a main character played by Matt Damon, being white in a movie set in medieval China, the film has been accused of whitewashing.Director Zhang Yimou clarified that Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor.
    “In many ways ‘The Great Wall’ is the opposite of what is being suggested. For the first time, a film deeply rooted in Chinese culture, with one of the largest Chinese casts ever assembled, is being made at tentpole scale for a world audience. I believe that is a trend that should be embraced by our industry.”
    Zhang Yimou, director

Legendary Entertainment
    Legendary Entertainment (also known as Legendary Pictures or Legendary) is an American media company based in Burbank, California. The company was founded by Thomas Tull in 2000 and in 2005, concluded an agreement to co-produce and co-finance films with Warner Bros, and began a similar arrangement with Universal in 2014.

Since 2016, Legendary has been a subsidiary of the Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group.

On January 11, 2016, Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group announced that it concluded an agreement with shareholders to acquire Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion, making it the largest acquisition of an America media company by a Chinese firm.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-21-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    Too bad there's pretty much zero chance of a Mary Jane using a vapid airhead personality to hide her emotional damage because we can't have multilayered characters. That might "offend" some people.

Clearly you don't watch much TV (which is fair, there's wayyyyyyyyyy too much of it to see it all),so no "SJW" ruined that plot idea. In fact The Fosters (on a network owned by Disney in case it matters) had a storyline very similarly to that in their most recent season. And I don't remember that show being criticized for it. In fact the show is lauded for it's diverse cast and portrayals of the LGBT community as actual humans.

Fantastic Member

It wouldn't be so glaring when people get upset about colorblind casting if they actually got mad at all deviations from the source material (I've known maybe 2 people who are real purists). Of course a reasonable person had the changes they can and cannot live with but alot of the times those changes lead to relatively tempered arguments.

Instead it seems like the pitchforks come out when race, ethnicity, sex or sexual orientation comes into play. I mean you see people get very mad and slang the CBR fave "SJW" insult around like Punisher shoots bullets, when these things come out. But strangely, don't get so mad at every other little change. It's stuff like that makes other fans (particularly POC, women and LGBT) feel like the source of the anger isn't so much the act of changing something but the fact that groups that were for decades treated as real fully realized characters have to share the stage with someone else, so to speak. It's where that anger appears to come from That is so off-putting (frightening at times) for those people when they want to join our fandom or even voice their opinion.

And the irony isn't lost on me that just as some posters accuse people of dismissing their points by calling them bigots, they dismiss opposing viewpoints by labeling them "SJW". Like in the same post at that bruh lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    It wouldn't be so glaring when people get upset about colorblind casting if they actually got mad at all deviations from the source material (I've known maybe 2 people who are real purists). Of course a reasonable person had the changes they can and cannot live with but alot of the times those changes lead to relatively tempered arguments.

Instead it seems like the pitchforks come out when race, ethnicity, sex or sexual orientation comes into play. I mean you see people get very mad and slang the CBR fave "SJW" insult around like Punisher shoots bullets, when these things come out. But strangely, don't get so mad at every other little change. It's stuff like that makes other fans (particularly POC, women and LGBT) feel like the source of the anger isn't so much the act of changing something but the fact that groups that were for decades treated as real fully realized characters have to share the stage with someone else, so to speak. It's where that anger appears to come from That is so off-putting (frightening at times) for those people when they want to join our fandom or even voice their opinion.

And the irony isn't lost on me that just as some posters accuse people of dismissing their points by calling them bigots, they dismiss opposing viewpoints by labeling them "SJW". Like in the same post at that bruh lol
    You know, it's funny that i hate them for a lot of things, but for some reason, this is not one of them.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    That is true, people should be treated with respect. Especially the readers who loved his novel American Gods whom Hollywood decided to change the lead character from an almost Amerindian white guy with long black hair to a black man for the screen adaptation. All these readers were not treated with respect.
    Shadow was black/mixed race in the novel, it's in the text itself and Gaiman has said it.