Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I don't mind the casting, good luck to her. But why is it always redheads? Matt Murdock, Roy Harper, Wally West, Jimmy Olsen, Shayera Hol, Mary Jane Watson. Are different hair colors not edgy enough for superhero movies and shows now?
    I don't have a problem with most recasting decisions. Wally West probably takes up the second largest percentage of my comic book collection behind Steve Rogers, but I never really thought of him as a red head (I mean, yes he's a redhead, but it was not really ever a defining trait) In the case of Mary Jane though, it was a defining trait. Along with Archie, neither of these characters should not be red heads. If you were talking with someone who was knowledgeable of pop culture for the past 60 years and asked them to name the top 20 most identifiable redheads, Archie and Mary Jane probably make that list. (Olsen doesn't because he's been portrayed so many times in tv and film as not a redhead, that his comic book persona doesn't have that big of a impact on how he is perceived)

Fortunately she's a supporting character so it's not going to take away from the movie, and she could overcome the possible expectations/disappointment that the fans have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    These click-bait already starting crap, who would've thunk it?

The only question i have is why not freaking Spider-man?

We seen enough spider-man movies already that it think it would fine to have a black spider-man.
    Because they wanted to use Peter Parker and didn't want to take away from Miles.

Even though they basically stole Miles' best friend and renamed him Ned Leeds .

At last, creatives at the studio have been informed by the vision I've been saying they should have for years. See beyond the boxes, beyond what conventional sentiments say about the boxes. Don't depend on the conservative, nitpicky social bubbles of Hollywoodland. Multicultural inclusion rears its beautiful head and it continues to hunger...

Prez Obama & Michelle will be blamed-- and indeed, they deserve co-credit for accelerating the normalizing of seeing brown in heretofore unseen quarters...

Truly, kismet...

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Well that's a pile of crap.
    Miller was right.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Meh, I'm too busy with fantasizing about Aunt May. I know it's wrong, but look at her!
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capt usa View Post
    I don't have a problem with most recasting decisions. Wally West probably takes up the second largest percentage of my comic book collection behind Steve Rogers, but I never really thought of him as a red head (I mean, yes he's a redhead, but it was not really ever a defining trait) In the case of Mary Jane though, it was a defining trait. Along with Archie, neither of these characters should not be red heads. If you were talking with someone who was knowledgeable of pop culture for the past 60 years and asked them to name the top 20 most identifiable redheads, Archie and Mary Jane probably make that list. (Olsen doesn't because he's been portrayed so many times in tv and film as not a redhead, that his comic book persona doesn't have that big of a impact on how he is perceived)

Fortunately she's a supporting character so it's not going to take away from the movie, and she could overcome the possible expectations/disappointment that the fans have.
    I disagree, Wally being a redhead is important. Because he's the greatest ginger superhero ever. The only real competition is Black Widow, Barbara Gordon, Jean Grey, and Daredevil. Before he was erased from comics for 5 years, I think Wally was the most popular out of all of them. He's got some catching up to do, which is why we need Ginger Wally in other media to boost his popularity after those 5 lost years. And now that his costume has an open cowl, his red hair is an identifiable trait whether he's in or out of costume.

Since I went off topic, I've never seen Zendaya act but I think she'll do a good job. Although the Peter/MJ romance was never my favorite thing about the character. One More Day still made me angry though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    Meh, I'm too busy with fantasizing about Aunt May. I know it's wrong, but look at her!
    I know right? I love Marisa Tomei! She looks so good that Tony Stark even had to acknowledge it!

I've always felt the genral identities of these characters was more important than their skin tone. I wouldn't have complained if they'd made Peter Parker black (for example), as long as he was Peter Parker and had the traits that make Peter, Peter.

Same goes for Mary Jane, obviously, and I this casting is a great idea.

Ultimate Member

Zendaya has dyed her hair red before (or at least worn red wigs before) if I'm not mistaken. So if this is true, then I'd think that she'd most likely just do that again. And as others have said, they could pull the "MJ reveal" in the film's version of the "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" scene.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I swear there must be a conspiracy against gingers and other redheads.

Spectacular Member

As long as they make her a red head I don't care

BANNED

If she is, that's fine. But I think I'm gonna wait for confirmation from a source other than ""two individuals with knowledge of the project."

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    At least we've still got Mera .

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There is. We're such a beleaguered people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I've always felt the genral identities of these characters was more important than their skin tone. I wouldn't have complained if they'd made Peter Parker black (for example), as long as he was Peter Parker and had the traits that make Peter, Peter.

Same goes for Mary Jane, obviously, and I this casting is a great idea.
    Well, as a civilian and supporting character, I think MJ's look as a redhead is an iconic and integral part of her character and helps her standout, so I would hope that would still be reflected in live-action.