Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I also remember keeping a stack of my brother's comics by my bed when I was a kid.
    And before sleep each night I'd read a bit of each one, pausing at 'continued on the 2nd page' or ads until the next night. I read them like little serials. Would take me a week or so to finish them.
    It also became a trait in my reading books as I got older, as I can't help but take a break after each chapter. Takes me forever to read a book.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

asking my brother to read me the same spider-man comics over and over again until i had them memorized, this actually helped a lot when i started school and learned how to read.

as a kid visiting my mom in the summer in northern california in the mid-late 80s and discovering indy comics. like TMNT(raphael one shot was the 1st) and grips by tim vigil. that stuff just blew me away. loved going to this shop called cosmic comics in sunnyvale.

as a teen in the 90's when image comics started.

mid 00's the first time my son was able to read pages of a comic to me w/o any help(green arrow by winnick & mcdaniel)

Spinner racks, ohh sweet spinner racks. In drug stores and records stores and even a supermarket or two. & .75 cent cover prices.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Mark Gruenwald's Captain America
    I'll always have a soft spot for Ron Lim's depiction of Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    My first exposure to Cap was the Stern/Byrne era, which was awesome.
    Oh yeah! The Baron Blood arc was a hoot.

>Personally as a little kid getting Batman/Tarzan/Korak comics from my mom. I was about 4 or 5 and she'd always try to bring me some coming back from work. I was pretty young when she passed away and it's one of my few memories of her.

>The whole OHOTMU and DC's Who's Who comics. I must've read those issues from cover to cover many times over.

>Finally The Return of Barry Allen storyline. I remember being shocked by the swerve and by the end cheering out loud for Wally West.

Some of my fondest memories revolve around collecting the Marvel Transformer comics as a kid. My initial run had so many gaps it was funny but I didn't care. I would gradually fill it in from various comic stores and flea markets back then. I remember when I was 16 and finally old enough to use eBay, I bought the two that I was missing (#69 and #80). I now have every single one and a what should be a complete set of the Marvel UK trades. I stayed with Transformers all the way up to All Hail Megatron from IDW. Around that time I was reverting to more superhero stuff and because it took me so long to get the last couple of All Hail Megatrons, I was very far behind in the IDW stuff so I haven't read any of it except for the Deviations One Shot, which looked like fun (it was).

A little while back I dug them out of my parents attic and replaced a few that had gone bad. I was hit with a wave of nostalgia boarding them all up and that was when I discovered there was a Regeneration One comic. I collected all of them too!
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Yes, I knew which comics were due each week, but if i didn't find them we weren't sure if i missed it or it was delayed.
    Me too, I knew my preferred neighborhood store's schedule for the Marvels and DCs I read...2nd Wednesday of the month for Superman books, 3rd Wednesday of the month for FF and Avengers, etc. One Wednesday I went in and -- no new comics! I was in a panic, but went back the next day and there they were...and by the next week I realized the store's delivery date had been changed to Thursdays.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 08-31-2016 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added eh's quote

Another teen memory. When I was studying at the conservatory, a friend who studied with me showed me a comic for The Punisher. At that time I thought costumed superheroes like Superman were ridiculous. But I loved The Punisher and started researching and changed my point of view after that. That's when I became interested in the American comic. I started to follow mainly The Punisher and Hellblazer. Then came Batman, the Batfamily and the rest.

1977 or early 78. I saw a DC house ad for their Collector's Editions. I scraped together money I had earned and went to the post office to get a money order. I sent off my order for C-52, "Best of DC" and the ultimate, C-55, Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes, with the wedding of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl. Of course, there was the dreaded "Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery." And it took every part of that. 4-6 weeks is an eternity, as a kid. I waited, and waited.........and waited........finally, a big envelope arrived. I ripped it open; there were my new books. I grabbed the Legion one and immediately spread out on the floor to read it. I basked in the panoramic spreads of Mike Grell masterwork, practically drooling over the massive artwork. The story was as epic as it should be. The double-page spread of the ceremony should have been made into a poster (it was reprinted, or recreated, for at least one later Legion comic). Also in the book was a mini-encyclopedia of all of the Legionnaires, with given names, powers and origins. It was the Rosetta Stone, for me. I had only, relatively, recently started reading the Legion and had slowly pieced together who they were. This gave me everybody, including the ones who didn't show up very often. I memorized the entries, quizzed myself on true names and code names (obsessive comic fan, go figure...).

The Best of DC turned out to be pretty good, too, with "The Last Days of Superman" ""The Demon Within" (a House of Mystery story, with creepy Jim Aparo art), "Doorway to the Unknown," (a great Flash tale), "Dirty Job" (a war tale, with Alex Toth on art), "Stallion" (a Joe Kubert Firehair story), and "Night of the Reaper" (a neal Adams Batman tale, set at the Rutland, VT Halloween parade, with cameos from several comic writers and artists and "cameos" of characters from DC and Marvel).

I was never allowed to read many comics as a kid. But I adored Archie comics as they were the only comics my parents would buy for me. It wasn't until I started making my own money that I really got into them but I remember sitting in the car or on a beach devouring the only comics I was allowed to read.

First comic I read was my sibling's old copies of Archie. Always never got the love for Betty and the hate for Reggie but I liked Cheryl the best. Anyway so I used to steal from her and read them but then I never read comics for a long time until I got bored at an airport and picked up one of DC Comics Trades. It was like just before the New 52 and it was Morrison's JLA then I got Killing Joke for a present but I never liked the Killing Joke and then I bought New Frontier and then finally picked up Nightwing/Huntress then the New 52 came up.

I tried reading Marvel Comics but I could never find a spot to run with like the New 52 allowed me to.

The first comics I read were archie, peanuts, garfield, Beano (uk comic) and scooby doo in the late 80s, usually old books handed down by relatives. Then I discovered Batman and X men.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Archie comics. That's one thing I never read as a kid. I just didn't like those kinds of comics. It was always super hero comics or I'm going outside to play with my friends.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Archie comics. That's one thing I never read as a kid. I just didn't like those kinds of comics. It was always super hero comics or I'm going outside to play with my friends.
    Thats pretty much me too, except the playing outside part I was more of a video game person. I was never that into Archie, they made the Sonic comics and the Mega Man comics but other then that I've always liked superhero comics more.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogvampire View Post
    Thats pretty much me too, except the playing outside part I was more of a video game person. I was never that into Archie, they made the Sonic comics and the Mega Man comics but other then that I've always liked superhero comics more.
    We really didn't have video games to play when I was a kid unless you count Pong from Atari (which I don't).
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Fantastic Member

Reading my mom and dad's collection of DC, Marvel, Archie, and independent comics. Having parents who used to own a comic store was a great way to get into comics famous and obscure.