Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Why couldn't they just stick with his DCyou design?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    My suspicion is that the "observer" is, in fact, Cyborg himself--specifically his onboard computer operationg system/AI--and that the whole thing is a thinly-veiled, heavy-handed exercise in identity self-exploration. It's basically a part of Vic's own consciousness asking "Who am I?"
    You may be right about that, but I hope not, because that itself would raise problems of internal logic, such as the observer's "probe" being "programmed to complete my mission even if I have to destroy everything in my path"---including Cyborg?? And even if you're correct, I don't think that resolves the inconsistency between pages 1 and 5: if the AI isn't sure the Subject Zero it's hitched to is Victor Stone, then it's not sure how old Subject Zero is.

Soon you won't know that he's a black character.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Ungh, this is worse than I thought it would be. I'd really love to be able to support a Cyborg solo but I'm really sick of the whole "Am I man or machine" angle they keep returning to with him as if there are no other interesting stories to tell with him and the writing is just bad. Hard pass on this one.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

whoa i like this a lot! big, big fan of paul pelletier. so i will happily show up for #1 (and hopefully more)

Love that Carlos D'Anda cover, I think Cyborg benefits from more cartoony artists that make him look bulky. The Jonboy Meyers covers from issues #11 and #12 looked fantastic, too. But the interior art always disappoints me in how generic "house style" it looks...

And is there seriously no Cyborg story they can pitch other than the "am I man or machine" angle?

I think it makes sense that Semper would start out with the traditional Cyborg story arc for Rebirth, get that out of the way, then continue developing the character past that going into the actual solo.

Sort of like how most of the other Rebirth issues addressed the core and basic premise of the character and then started really developing things for the first issue.

The writing is mediocre at best. Pelletier's art is good as usual.
    "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
    Nah, never happen.
    Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    Wasn't it established in the previous Cyborg ongoing and in JL that Vic's systems and tech have continued to adapt to the point that they have started to replicate his body previous to his accident? Is DC undoing that? I thought it was one of the most interesting developments DC has made with the character.
    The previous ongoing has been trashed. None of that stuff happened which is why he has reverted back to his old look.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    I'm sorry but I still just can't get behind Cyborg as a founding member of the JL...joining, sure...but founding? No character should ever be retconned as a founding member of a team that predates them by decades.
    I absolutely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yep, but when asked why they went back to this clunky look the editor said he wanted a design that had the 'C' symbol on the chest. Seriously, they couldn't have just added it to the awesome Ivan Reis design?!? I'm sure DC wanted him to look more like the movie version too. Which sucks because not only is this story a rehash of things that have been covered ad nauseam ("am I a man or a machine") but they've given him this outdated look.

Im a big fan of Cyborg but it's hard to get excited about the direction they're taking the character. It's like one step forward and two steps back.
    Indeed. The Reis redesign played right into the evolution of the character as he transcended the labels of man and machine. I HOPE the creators at least address this in the story and don't just trash it, it's a solid foundation to build on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    I'm sorry but I still just can't get behind Cyborg as a founding member of the JL...joining, sure...but founding? No character should ever be retconned as a founding member of a team that predates them by decades.
    I have no issue with them retconning a newer character into the League's founding. They've done it before. Bit I do think that if they really felt the need to diversify the League's foundation by adding a black character to the origin, Black Lightning would have been a much better, more logical choice.

BANNED

The art looks good, but the writing was literally a chore to read for me. I'll pass.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I don't know why they didn't keep David Walker. This isn't a good look...

I mean, two pages in and Cyborg is getting whooped in his own book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I have no issue with them retconning a newer character into the League's founding. They've done it before. Bit I do think that if they really felt the need to diversify the League's foundation by adding a black character to the origin, Black Lightning would have been a much better, more logical choice.
    DC has to pay Black Lightning creator Tony Isabella a percentage of any non-comics media that Black Lightning appears in. So they would have no interest in adding BL when they would have to give up some money on any movies or TV or toys that came out of it.