Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Arkham Manor looks like it would have been better as a Mini because it looks like it's only a couple story arcs' amount of stuff before things go back to the status quo. I think the series will come to an end after a year or so; not because of sales, but because the writers have told everything they wanted. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued with this one and have questions I hope it answers.

Gotham Academy... it seems like one of those titles that could struggle and end in 10 issues because of it having new characters and thus not selling as much (unless your name is Kamala apparently). I'm somewhat interested (though the other interests me more) and as much as I like to be optimistic and say "people you gotta get the books so they keep going!" and I will give everything a read, this might be an uphill battle. They'll need to go big on the Batman content to keep it going.

I would have been more excited for some existing heroes such as Booster Gold, Cyborg, etc to get their solos though. How about a Vixen book? She could do some mystical jungle stuff and be involved in the Dark books maybe; just a thought. If they don't want too many solos, then I'm always happy to see more team books that give good showings to characters not being published. When will they relaunch BoP?

Overall though, I'm always happy to see new news about content being put out. Arkham Manor piques my interest. Though, I must say ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Free Booster Gold ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
    If these books last longer than 6 issues (March 2015), there will be the 2 month break and then resuming toward cancellation.

All-New Member

I can see the appeal in something like Arkham Manor especially because of it's own seasonal timing. I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up in late October to coincide with Hallowe'en. Personally, not terribly in love with the idea but I'll wait before downplaying it. It's a Batman book so it'll definitely sell at least.

The one thing that intrigues me is the fact that Gerry Duggan is writing it. He's been doing a killer job on both Deadpool and Nova lately, showing great comedic timing but also the ability to break up the comedy with some heavy, emotional scenes. It makes me very curious as to what genre Manor will fall in. Will it be a horror/comedy, straight up thriller, or some dark Batman action? I'm of the school of thought that Duggan would absolutely nail the dry humour of a character like Batman so if anything we know Duggan writing this book is a good thing.

I actually had an (unoriginal) idea for a book about Batman locking up certain villains in the cave (or one of the satellite caves-- it's an old idea), but I would have never thought of Wayne Manor becoming a new Asylum. I'm interested, but with this being in-continuity it will likely affect all the Batman books, which is the part I'm not so sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    According to the solicitation, those 2 are Olive Silverlock and MAPS. New characters.
    Ah, thanks. New characters are good, but they better get some "knowns" in there too.

Ultimate Member

But seriously, Gotham Academy is a good place for some of the younger Bat-characters. Stephanie, Harper, Cullen, and maybe even Tim.

I have to say that while I like the sound and look of Gotham Academy, especially the team on it, I also trust Arkham Manor will be good just because Gerry Duggan is writing it. The man is fantastic on a lot of what he writes such as Deadpool and Nova, so I trust it will be good.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Batman and DC must really have a hard on for Batman getting kids killed in his war on crime

Much as I like Crystal's art and Cloonan's previous work, I have zero interest in anything Batman that is not an Elseworld or out of continuity.

Incredible Member

Arkham Manor maybe might be an interesting concept outside continuity, but oh New52!Batman, you so dumb—it's spectacular how bad that idea is. And it's pretty surprising DC editorial managed to surprise me with a bad decision I for once would have indeed put past them if this sort of absurdity ever even occurred to me.

Gotham Academy on the other hand... I prefer my glimpses into Gotham's educational system through the real Tim Drake (as Robin!), but Gotham is in dire need of some (oddball) brightening, so I guess I'll give a post-FP book a chance again—foolish me. Well, I suppose fake Tim, who—for what it's worth—with Lobdell's grubby hands off of him seems to be regaining some good character traits so far at least, is likely to attend that school, and Bruce may put Steph and the Rows into it as well.
    Last edited by twincast; 06-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Mighty Member

I hope they can recapture some of the Gotham Central-style magic with Gotham Academy.

I also with they'd bring back Gotham Central.

Arkham Manor sounds like one to borrow from the library. Gotham Academy sounds like one to buy, though.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Much as I like Crystal's art and Cloonan's previous work, I have zero interest in anything Batman that is not an Elseworld or out of continuity.
    Here here.

Man, this announcement just cements how weird the company has gotten. RIP DC.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    The thought of Wayne Manor being used as an asylum for the likes of the Joker, Killer Croc, Zsasz , etc. is a big turn off for me. I'll keep an open mind going into this though...
    Well, i'm wondering how it's going to be explained, that Bruce would turn his mansion over to the likes of his enemies, and what steps he would take to ensure that none of them discover the batcave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    It's almost like someone at DC hates how popular Batman is, and is trying to make us hate Batman through overexposing him in every single way possible.
    It's kind of the way I feel about Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Sort of like Umbrella Academy for Kid Sidekicks.

That might actually be fun.
    We could have a "Round Robin" competition!

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Arkham Manor looks like it would have been better as a Mini because it looks like it's only a couple story arcs' amount of stuff before things go back to the status quo. I think the series will come to an end after a year or so; not because of sales, but because the writers have told everything they wanted. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued with this one and have questions I hope it answers.

Gotham Academy... it seems like one of those titles that could struggle and end in 10 issues because of it having new characters and thus not selling as much (unless your name is Kamala apparently). I'm somewhat interested (though the other interests me more) and as much as I like to be optimistic and say "people you gotta get the books so they keep going!" and I will give everything a read, this might be an uphill battle. They'll need to go big on the Batman content to keep it going.

I would have been more excited for some existing heroes such as Booster Gold, Cyborg, etc to get their solos though. How about a Vixen book? She could do some mystical jungle stuff and be involved in the Dark books maybe; just a thought. If they don't want too many solos, then I'm always happy to see more team books that give good showings to characters not being published. When will they relaunch BoP?

Overall though, I'm always happy to see new news about content being put out. Arkham Manor piques my interest. Though, I must say ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Free Booster Gold ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
    Much as I like the idea of a vixen book, I'm not sure how i feel about a "Mystical Jungle" concept.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, i'm wondering how it's going to be explained, that Bruce would turn his mansion over to the likes of his enemies, and what steps he would take to ensure that none of them discover the bat cave.
    One word: Owlman. Owlman is a different Wayne, can prove he's got equal rights to the manor, and then he turns it over to Batman's enemies. Batman, in turn, will move his cave to a different estate, which allows DC to have the manor-less Batman just in time to match the upcoming feature film.

The weird part is that the editors really don't grasp that Arkham is now a castle with deep underground facility — exactly what Wayne Manor isn't. Regaining Wayne Manor will mean most likely having to rebuild it — again — to reset everything.

As for Gotham Academy… what a great opportunity that's ruined by the way it's handled. Tim's got his G.E.D., but Stephanie and Harper have to go somewhere. As will the returned Damian (assuming that's where the Robin event is going). So why avoid those characters for new ones — new ones that bear an uncannily striking resemblance to the stereotypical teen mystery solvers of all teen fiction? You could just as easily make Stephanie the lead character here and have a great bunch of stories.

Arkham Manor sounds really dumb. I guess they wanted to do something Arkham to help promote the New Arkham animated movie and the Arkham Knight game possibly. It being set in the New 52 really just doesn't make sense. Sounds like a huge mess.

Gotham Academy I think would have been more interesting if it was about the early Robin and Batgirl days of Dick and Babs set in Gotham Academy.

Extraordinary Member

I figure Wayne allowing Arkham to move into the manor is going to be the result some elaborate long game where Batman needs the original Arkham empty to a long period of time.

I could Gotham Academy working if it was about Damian, Tim and Tim's age peers, Steph, Cassie and Beryl (Squire-don't know if Knight is still dead in the nu52).