Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Powergirl should not be just Supergirl with boobs.

One of my biggest complaints about the new 52 version of Powergirl. How much like Like Supergirl should Powergirl be? I think the main reason Powergirl has stuck around as a character while so many alternate versions of Superhirl have came and went, is because she is fundamentally a different character. A character who defines herself by separating herself from the Superman legacy rather then embracing it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I totally get what you're saying but I think Karen can wear the "S" shield and still be her own person. IMO, a well written Power Girl is loyal, a bit brash/headstrong, speaks her mind, and never gives up. She's also best when paired with the Huntress and/or Wildcat.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think the Conner/Palimotti run did a good job of showcasing that Power Girl is a strong, dynamic, and fun character while making her distinct from Supergirl, but at the same time still feeling like a character who fits in the Superman Family .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the Conner/Palimotti run did a good job of showcasing that Power Girl is a strong, dynamic, and fun character while making her distinct from Supergirl, but at the same time still feeling like a character who fits in the Superman Family .
    This. That run will always be the gold standard for Power Girl. I heard that PG will be appearing in Harley Quinn again. Hopefully Palmiotti & Conner will write her more like Pre-Flashpoint PG than they did for her New 52 appearances. Those felt slightly off, especially the disappointing Harley Quinn/Power Girl miniseries.

Supergirl doesn't have boobs?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I totally get what you're saying but I think Karen can wear the "S" shield and still be her own person. IMO, a well written Power Girl is loyal, a bit brash/headstrong, speaks her mind, and never gives up. She's also best when paired with the Huntress and/or Wildcat.
    I don't know. To me one of the earliest defining traits Power Girl had was her fierce determination to escape Superman's shadow. Now if you attacked Superman yourself, don't do it with Power Girl around as no one messes with her family- but it was just as likely she'd floor you for trying to compliment her by comparing her favorably to her cousin. So I'm not fond of the current take where she ever used the name Supergirl and has any desire to wear the "S". It takes away what makes her unique and interesting and reduces her to merely a legacy of Superman character.

The Wildcat verbal sparring was great because he worked as a surrogate Superman- someone older and wiser with some outdated ideas as well who was trying to actually mentor Kara but not really succeeding. You could see that she really liked Ted Grant and in her own way even appreciated what he was trying to do, but that she had her own ideas and didn't want anyone trying to tell her what to do or how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed, I really enjoyed their take. It was fun while respecting the character.

the window was replaced for the S... Is one good step..

Personally, I prefer Supergirl.

Fantastic Member

Well, Supergirl is just Superman, but female and young.

Power Girl on the other hand doesn't even have to be a kryptonian to be her own character. Her relevance doesn't depend on the S-shield, or stealing villains from her older cousin, like Cyborg Superman, Livewire, or female-themed Superman villains like Bizarro Supergirl, or Lex's sister, or being a reporter at a new organization, just like Clark.

In that way, Power Girl is a much more independent, stronger personality, interesting character.

If anything, it's Supergirl who has to move on from Superman, but as a GIRL! portrayal. The desperation is even more palpable when they try to make her one up her cousin, like in the current Supergirl show.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    the window was replaced for the S... Is one good step..

Personally, I prefer Supergirl.
    I thought the S looked pretty awful on that costume. Didn't work. But then again, nothing on Earth 2 worked after Robinson left.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Let her make her own logo and her own costume which reflects her personality. Nowadays, Superman is rocking his family crest. Nothing is more legacy then that. She shall take an idea from previous versions of Superman and design a symbol for herself. Going in this direction she has to design a costume which is her statement. Was the previous costume a statement? If so i don't know what was that.

That window can be kept if people are so desperate. Don't say i had no idea what to put there. It makes her dumb. Say that i won't carry a symbol. I am on my own. That sounds better. But by a very small margin. Or let there be no symbol or a window.

Where is she nowadays? If she comes back she can be part of the family yet not carry the crest. Is the crest necessary to be Superman family?

I am sure writers can come up with a logo. A 'P' can do. On Earth that stands for P. As in Power Girl.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.

I think the problem is actually that Supergirl and Power Girl both changed a lot.

Originally, and I am talking about fifty-eight years ago, Supergirl's primary characteristic was that she's a total sweetheart, and Power Girl's main trait was that she's a bit of a rebel. Over time, this changed. Supergirl became first more serious, then angrier. Power Girl lightened up and became more straight-up fun. Now maybe Power Girl's writing has been off the last few years, I don't really know how to articulate the way she's changed since 2011. You ask me though, when Supergirl went back to being a sweetheart, it made her that much closer to being like Power Girl has become, which makes them, you know, seem more alike.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

She actually did at one time have a costume with a "P" logo on it. Everyone screamed bloody murder and they went back, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

The best definition of Power Girl's character was in her original apperances in ALL-STAR COMICS. She is Superman's cousin. She is an alternative Kara Zor-L. That's who she is. The more DC tried to escape that definition of the character the more messy and lost her character became.

PG needs to exist in contrast to Supergirl and Superman. Without that, she's just not the same character.

I've always said and still believe now that its become inherent to the character to be that fish out of water who's on an Earth that's not her own. That thing Marvel does to a nauseating level with virtually ever character they own at some point? Its a concept that actually works with PG. In large part because DC doesn't over do it and its quite unique to her.