Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What will Shazam's status quo be in Rebirth?

Yeah, do we know this? Because much like Superman, Shazam is a very different character in the New-52, as opposed to his Pre-Flashpoint days.

Last we saw him, in DarkSeid War, his powers were altered, and he now gets them from completely different gods. The Wizard Shazam is also an actual God, and African, not European. Billy obviously have a different background as well, not having been a radio-presenter, and having a troubled childhood.

In fact, I'd say there's a lot of parallels between the Superman and Shazam New-52 reboots.

SO, will DC change everything back to the way it was Pre-Flashpoint, or what do you think? Have there been any announcements regarding Captain Marvel?

BANNED

Just give me the "real" Shazam, not this updated hipster BS!

The Geoff Johns rebooted Captain Marvel will probably continue.

BANNED

Thats crap! I will stick with my back issues from the 1970s! Those are the real Captain MArvel! And the series from the 1990s.

double-post. delete.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 08-20-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Double-post. Delete.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    The Geoff Johns rebooted Captain Marvel will probably continue.
    That seems like a plausible outcome, since that's usually what happens with the properties he's working on when they reboot or what-have-you - BUT... can he afford to do so this time? Won't it seem rather odd, perhaps even like an abuse of executive power, if every other character is returned to his Pre-Flashpoint status and character, but NOT Shazam?

Perhaps, this time, he has to adapt a bit. (even though I don't think he'll be writing, but anyways)

The question then is, to what of an extent, will we see the merging of continuities, in the new amalgamated Captain Marvel?

I'm thinking no matter what, his new, extended family with his new adopted siblings will remain. Freddy is a tricky one though, because originally he was YOUNGER than Billy, and a brunette, but in the new-52 things are reversed there. Are they just going to handwave that, or will they do a Kid Flash -solution, with a reintroduction of a second Freddy Freeman?

I'm thinking Cap's new powers are a 50/50 shot if they remain, I'm leaning a bit more towards them going with his classic power-set as the more likely outcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Just give me the "real" Shazam, not this updated hipster BS!
    Last time I checked New-52 Billy Batson doesn't dress like "Where's Waldo?" - care to clarify your statement a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Thats crap! I will stick with my back issues from the 1970s! Those are the real Captain MArvel! And the series from the 1990s.
    I challenge anyone who claims that a POST-Crisis incarnation of anything should be considered the "real" version of any character. The 90's series can go take a hike!

If we're going to talk "real" Captain Marvel, then C.C Beck's Cap is the only one who qualifies.

And don't you GOD-DAMN forget it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    The Wizard Shazam is also an actual God, and African, not European.
    Was he ever supposed to be European? I know he was drawn as an old white guy but I think it's because Binder and Beck wanted to convey the classic wizard with long beard look. Shazam empowered Black Adam in ancient Egypt and came from a civilization even before that so I'd guess Sumeria maybe?

I remember in an interview Geoff Johns has said that they are in fact working on a Shazam series and a few others after they have made sure that all the first wave of DC rebirth series are out and doing well. Though from the promo image of DC rebirth I'm sure we can guess that it will involve the Geoff Johns New 52 version of Billy Batson and his large extended family.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The New 52 Shazam lost his New God powers along with the other Leaguers at the end of Darkseid War.
    I would be very surprised if Shazam Rebirth is not a direct continuation of the New 52 version, which for the most part, was very well received. I do think they will drop the obnoxious Billy Batson though. And they can explain it in story as the inevitable outcome of Johns and Frank's Curse of Shazam origin.
    Responding to an above poster: Freddy was originally portrayed as bit older than the Batson twins.
    In terms of the original Captain Marvel, he'll be alive and well on Earth 5 and we might occasionally see him in bigger event books and other multiverse offerings.

Astonishing Member

odds are it'll be a continuation of Johns' Shazam work, with Billy becoming less jerkish by way of interacting with his new family and friends

there's also the issue that... the shazam mythos was not in good place pre-flashpoint. Shazam had come back to life by way of dark magic and seemed affected by it, Mary and Billy had been corrupted by dark magic/desaad's essence and had been stripped of their power, freddy had been stripped of his power, Isis was crazy and Adam and Osiris were dead. my understanding is that was not an outcome Johns particularly wanted, but one that arose out of editorial's failed desire to promote Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    there's also the issue that... the shazam mythos was not in good place pre-flashpoint. Shazam had come back to life by way of dark magic and seemed affected by it, Mary and Billy had been corrupted by dark magic/desaad's essence and had been stripped of their power, freddy had been stripped of his power, Isis was crazy and Adam and Osiris were dead. my understanding is that was not an outcome Johns particularly wanted, but one that arose out of editorial's failed desire to promote Freddy
    I'LL say! The butchering of the Marvel-family is one of those big cluster-f***'s of editorial that we see perpetrated on these characters now and then - the kind of stuff that has to be completely retconned and forgotten about, in order to salvage the characters.

It's also the sort of stuff that we, usually continuity-obsessed fans, often actually take a blind eye to - the alternative, an unbelievable mess of a character, is simply too disgusting to even consider.

Would be interesting to read a lengthy article about this one - why did DC go so far? How could it go so wrong...?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    odds are it'll be a continuation of Johns' Shazam work, with Billy becoming less jerkish by way of interacting with his new family and friends
    wasn't that basically the character development he made in the new 52 Shazam series?

i think captain marvel's rebirth will be his new52 status quo. on the rebirth teasers, him and his new shazam family were all shown in a pack together.

maybe mary gets more prominent and his traditional powers return.

but you never know, it could be anything! as long as the heart of captain marvel is there, i think they'll do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    wasn't that basically the character development he made in the new 52 Shazam series?
    It was. By the end of the backup story Billy had, for the most part, lost his attitude, and if he wasn't 100% the pure-hearted little Marty Sue he was in previous versions, he had still let his positive qualities shine through.

But all those "brat" complaints largely seem to come from people who didnt actually read the entire backup story in the first place. That characterization was sort of true in the first chapter or two, but quickly got left behind.

For my money, I expect to see the 52 version continue. It has a great "Harry Potter" vibe that seems to have been well received, it's provided a solid foundation to build from that feels contemporary without losing its charm, the extended family is nice, and what few adjustments need to be made, such as Billy still having a slight attitude and Freddy being blonde, are easily fixed.

As for the powers, I dont see DC backing out and returning to the flying brick version. Shazam still has all those physical powers, but now can harness lightning and cast some spells. Whats wrong with that? The guy powered by magic can now use magic. Honestly the only surprise is that it took so long for it to become a thing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

yeah i liked new 52 shazam a lot. it's still billy, he's just got some added complexity to him. not sure why people wouldn't want that.

the only thing i didn't like is new 52 freddy. he looks terrible with that long blonde hair. please change it..