Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just want a Shazam series drawn by Evan "Doc" Shaner. is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I just want a Shazam series drawn by Evan "Doc" Shaner. is that too much to ask?

So do well Odd Man. So do we all .

At this point, DC should just change his name to "Captain Thunder." Calling him "Shazam" is silly. Disney is going to make sure he's never called "Capt. Marvel."

Fantastic Member

The character development trope used in Geoff Johns' Shazam is already overused in DCU with Kon-El, Damian Wayne and Kenan Kong. And there is nothing wrong with the character being simple, Morrison and Jeff Parker's Captain Marvel one-shots are both very well-received while keeping true to the original concept, Geoff was basically trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 08-22-2016 at 08:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    That seems like a plausible outcome, since that's usually what happens with the properties he's working on when they reboot or what-have-you - BUT... can he afford to do so this time? Won't it seem rather odd, perhaps even like an abuse of executive power, if every other character is returned to his Pre-Flashpoint status and character, but NOT Shazam?
    The other characters are not going back to their pre-Flashpoint statuses either. They are most likely just going to undergo changes moving forward that are reflective of their past "lives".

The Green Arrow/Black Canary thing is probably the best example. Neither a previous relationship nor previously-published stories have been inserted into their history. DC simply had them meet and become a couple in the New52 version and that's going to be it.

In the case of Shazam!, we will probably see the other kids get more involved in the adventures since the notion of a "family" was a big part of the past versions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post

It would be awesome. And Gail Simone could be the writer! She loves these characters.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But all those "brat" complaints largely seem to come from people who didnt actually read the entire backup story in the first place. That characterization was sort of true in the first chapter or two, but quickly got left behind.
    I will forever be creeped out by the reactions of some fans to New 52 Billy and how they painted him as some sore of Antichrist. I'd hate to see how they act towards actual kids from the foster system.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I will forever be creeped out by the reactions of some fans to New 52 Billy and how they painted him as some sore of Antichrist. I'd hate to see how they act towards actual kids from the foster system.
    Agreed. Some of the reactions were extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    Agreed. Some of the reactions were extreme.
    hmmm well i don't know how that went. but i can say i generally like all versions of cap marvel and shazam. although billy's demeanor was much different in the new 52, at least initially. so i can see where people would be put off.

to me, as long as billy's spirit is intact, then all versions of him are pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    hmmm well i don't know how that went. but i can say i generally like all versions of cap marvel and shazam. although billy's demeanor was much different in the new 52, at least initially. so i can see where people would be put off.

to me, as long as billy's spirit is intact, then all versions of him are pretty awesome.
    I can understand why some fans wouldn't be down for the 52 Billy, but a surprising number took it to a ridiculous extreme. It reminded me of the Kyle hate back in the day on the old DCMB.

I sympathize with their issues, but....honestly I like the new version better. OG Billy was just this supernaturally good kid, who was pure Norman Rockwell Americana despite the tragedy in his life. And thats a pretty badass idea. But the new Billy, I think, has a better message and one that resonates longer.

New Billy is not a supernaturally good kid. He's just *a* good kid. And dont think for a second that he's not. He had his pain though, and that messed with his worldview. Billy wasn't perfect, but that was the point. The message of that whole character arc was that being good is a choice. Its not something you are or you're not, its something you decide to be.

Between that and the whole "family is what it can be, not what it should be" thing, Curse of Shazam just made for a wonderful story. It's a JK Rowling type of narrative, and that's as perfect as it could possibly get for Shazam, even if the theme is new to the narrative.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can understand why some fans wouldn't be down for the 52 Billy, but a surprising number took it to a ridiculous extreme. It reminded me of the Kyle hate back in the day on the old DCMB.

I sympathize with their issues, but....honestly I like the new version better. OG Billy was just this supernaturally good kid, who was pure Norman Rockwell Americana despite the tragedy in his life. And thats a pretty badass idea. But the new Billy, I think, has a better message and one that resonates longer.

New Billy is not a supernaturally good kid. He's just *a* good kid. And dont think for a second that he's not. He had his pain though, and that messed with his worldview. Billy wasn't perfect, but that was the point. The message of that whole character arc was that being good is a choice. Its not something you are or you're not, its something you decide to be.
    It's basically saying Billy Batson was not realistic and relatable, but that hardly make or break a character, it's unrealistic that a kid would become obsessive with fighting the abstract concept of crime just because his parents were killed by a random thug too.

The message, just like all the "choice" talks in Hollywood movies, is really cliche. And people's decisions are usually affected by many things, it's oversimplified to say they made themselves good or evil.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 08-23-2016 at 12:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It's basically saying Billy Batson was not realistic and relatable, but that hardly make or break a character, it's unrealistic that a kid would become obsessive with fighting the abstract concept of crime just because his parents were killed by a random thug too.

The message, just like all the "choice" talks in Hollywood movies, is really cliche. And people's decisions are usually affected by many things, it's oversimplified to say they made themselves good or evil.
    Very well said!