Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default When Jean Grey returns, who should she date?

No Wolverine or Scott...maybe someone new. Once she gets over the I'm alive again stuff

I like the idea of her dating someone not in the X-Group...maybe an normal guy

On the other hand...an hero would understand her better.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I'd like to see Jean with someone different as well. If Marvel repeats adult Jean's romantic past after bringing her back I would be disappointed. I would prefer a more unexpected direction.

BANNED

Tony Stark?

Spectacular Member

Im going to go out there Hercules now that he is reformed or even more out there Ikaris (I just want to see the Eternals back and doing something.) anyone but wolverine and cyclop. Jean and them were used so many time it's just boring now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Tony Stark?
    Yuck, I think Jean needs a break from dating superhero folks, I lied, maybe Thor Odinson.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    I'd like to see Jean with someone different as well. If Marvel repeats adult Jean's romantic past after bringing her back I would be disappointed. I would prefer a more unexpected direction.
    Under current circumstances I would prefer that adult Jean stays wherever she is.. This would allow for teen Jean to grow up and and give birth to Rachel while simultaneously eliminating that pesky cramp which allowed for adult Jean and her future daughter to be in both the same timeline and age group.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Jean should date Emma Frost.

BANNED

Tony Stark?
    Ewww he's STD central.

Tony Stark?
    Punisher. Frank could use a date.

Gambit. She just needs no drama and someone fun. Most of the other candidates just take themselves too seriously.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Jean/her writers should deal with far more pressing concerns than needless romantic entanglements.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Gambit. She just needs no drama and someone fun. Most of the other candidates just take themselves too seriously.
    Right, and Gambit isn't drama incarnate himself?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Old Man Logan.

Maybe Storm

I'm probably a minority opinion here, but I don't think Jean dating someone new if/when she returns would be very good for her character. In fact, I think it would be very damaging to her character. It would give the impression that Jean is callous and cold, willing to ignore years of close bonds with people who really do love her just so she can do something different. I don't get why this has appeal. We've seen what this does to characters like Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. We see them go in different directions, but lose some of the vital elements of their character in the process. Peter Parker is now basically just Tony Stark lite. Mary Jane is now Pepper Potts lite. And personally, I'd rather Jean Grey not be a "lite" version of anybody. Her O5 version shows that she can hold her own without romantic entanglements. Jeff Lemire has established that fairly effectively in Extraordinary. I don't see why that should be different with her adult version.

In the long run, I think her romance with Cyclops is a core component to her story and her character. It would be wholly out-of-character for her to just ditch that. We saw her do that in X-men Forever and X-men Forever got prematurely cancelled and was pretty much rejected by fans, despite having Chris Claremont at the helm. And if Chris Claremont can't make a concept work, then nobody can.

I'm not saying that if/when adult Jean comes back that she should immediately go back to being Cyclops' wife. That's not an interesting story to say the least. I just think that the desire to have Jean date someone else, just to get away from past romantic entanglements, is misguided and would undermine her character in the long run. It hasn't worked for Peter Parker. He's yet to find a female love interest on the same level as Mary Jane. Mary Jane hasn't found a love interest either. It hasn't been good for either character and the success of Renew Your Vows shows that there is a place for Marvel's iconic romances. DC is already capitalizing on that with Rebirth. I hope Marvel does the same in the long run.

I have a feeling I'm going to get some pretty vehement disagreements from those who just are sick of Jean Grey's previous entanglements. That's fair. This is just my personal opinion. Please do not take offense to it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.