All-New Member

Smile Just subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, what should I read?

Hey everyone!

I finally subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and I started with Ultimate Comics: Spiderman (Miles Morales) and so far I love it.
    I am a huge fan of the MCU mainly Capt and the avengers. I've added Winter Soldier, Captain America: Sam Wilson, and some Black Widow to my library but I was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for what to check out.

I want to read Iron Man but as you know there are SO many Iron Man and Captain America comics, where should I begin?
    And aside from the avengers and spiderman,
    What are some other good comics to check out?

I've read older comics passed down from my dad when I was a kid. I like the classics but I also love the new/reboots.

Oooh, so much stuff... all right, let's give it some thought.

Captain America:
    There's a lot to glean from the greatest lists that CBR does now and then. Here's a few of my picks from that list.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-master-list/

1. Captain America Comics #1 - "Meet Captain America!”

2. “Captain America Joins… The Avengers!” Avengers (Volume 1) #4

3. “He Who Holds the Cosmic Cube!” Tales of Suspense #79-81

4. “Secret Empire” Captain America #169-175

5. “The Winter Soldier” Captain America (Volume 5) #1-6, 8-9, 11-14

6. “Death of the Dream” Captain America (Volume 5) #25-30

That should have you up to speed on Cap real good, real fast! = )

I'll try and give my thoughts on Iron Man next.

My Marvel Unlimited method is to pick and event and see where it leads me.

Not sure that's a help or not.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

If you want to try to capture the long rich history of Marvel by starting at the beginning, I use this list http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/readi...pe=2&limit=250 It starts with Fantastic Four #1 and goes by order of release followed by new character introduction for all issues that are relevant to the modern Marvel Universe.

Do you like Daredevil? If you like Daredevil, you should check the classic Frank Miller stuff. The Man Without Fear covers his origin, and the rest is, in my opinion, the quintessential Daredevil run.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5
    Daredevil vol. 1 #168-191, #227-223

If that tickles your fancy, move on to Daredevil Vol.2, and read #1-12. It's a pivotal story in Daredevil's history, and its repercussions can be felt through out what I'm getting to next, which is: Brian Michael Bendis' run. You're probably aware of this already, but just encase you're not, that's the same guy that created Miles Morales and wrote Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man. His run is almost as great, and I'm sure some would argue just as great or better, than Miller's.

Daredevil vol. 2 #16-19, #26-50, #56-81

After Bendis' run, you've got Ed Brubaker's. In my opinion, Brubaker's run is neck and neck with Bendis' in terms of greatness. The first arc, 'Devil in Cell Block-D', is particularly incredible, and one my personal Daredevil favorites.

Daredevil vol. 2 #82–119, #500, Annual #1

After Brubaker's, Daredevil's series ranged from mediocre to outright bad for awhile, so we'll just skip over that - but then it picked right back with Mark Waid's run starting with Daredevil vol.3. Now this run is a little less grimdark, and bit more upbeat that everything else I've recommended, but it's great run nonetheless. You can start with #1, and follow it all the way through to the final issue of Daredevil vol. 4, because it's all Mark Waid. Oh, and Chris Samnee does a lot of the artwork for Waid's run, and Chris Samnee's artwork is just... exceptional.

After Waid's run, you've got the current ongoing Daredevil series under the All-New All-Different initiative, Daredevil vol. 5, and it's... alright. You could probably check out the first few issues on Marvel Unlimited to see if you like it. Don't let this overwhelm you though. I know for new comic readers, the sheer amount of content to read can be intimidating. If anything, just check the first couple of issues of Miller or Bendis' run. You'll know then if you it's for you.
    Last edited by Batmaniac; 08-22-2016 at 06:05 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Since you like Iron Man, you can read some of the recent Iron Man titles, going back to Matt Fraction's run and continue through the current title. You could also read a limited series like Warren Ellis's Extremis . The Iron Man 2 movie took elements of that. Iron Man's going to get relaunched in October as two different titles with different characters taking on the Iron Man mantle. Victor von Doom will become the Infamous Iron Man (the one I am most looking forward to) and Riri Williams will be the lead in the Invincible Iron Man.

As a long time Marvel reader, the one thing I don't like about comics these days is the constant relaunching of a series within a short period of time. It makes it more of a problem to read comics in order like in the old days. It was simple to just pick up from say Fantastic Four #500 and proceed from there while going back and reading some of the prior issues.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-22-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    Hey everyone!

I finally subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and I started with Ultimate Comics: Spiderman (Miles Morales) and so far I love it.
    I am a huge fan of the MCU mainly Capt and the avengers. I've added Winter Soldier, Captain America: Sam Wilson, and some Black Widow to my library but I was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for what to check out.

I want to read Iron Man but as you know there are SO many Iron Man and Captain America comics, where should I begin?
    And aside from the avengers and spiderman,
    What are some other good comics to check out?

I've read older comics passed down from my dad when I was a kid. I like the classics but I also love the new/reboots.
    The Runaways!

They were the first thing I read after getting Marvel Unlimited, and they've got a TV show in development right now. It's still one of my favorite titles I've read and I've since gone back and bought the deluxe hard copy collections of it. It's a very teenage book, but you like Miles' book so I don't think that'll be a problem for you.

The first few issues of the current Vision series are up on MU right now, and I'd highly recommend that. It's well-crafted creepiness.

Truth: Red, White & Black is an important part of the Captain America mythos, imo.

Young Avengers might also be fun. It's pretty much Avengers: The Next Generation and, outside of Wiccan and Speed's origins, it's pretty accessible.

And, personal bias, but I think the first few issues of the old Alpha Flight comics from the 1980's are still dysfunctional, cracktastic fun! XD

All-New Member

Everyone.. thank you so much!! I'm going to add these to my library and read them. I've seen the Netflix Daredevil series so I'll definitely check those out. You guys are amazing

Mighty Member

-various Hickman runs ("Avengers", some other stuff).

-"Secret Wars" and various tie-ins. (Seriously. Surprisingly good reading here.

-the recent "Red Wolf" series was under-appreciated.

-I know you said you like "Iron Man". I just want to stress "Iron Man: Fatal Frontier".

-"Squadron Supreme".

-Ewing's "Avengers" and "the Ultimates" stuff.

-"Contest of Champions" is gloriously idiotic fun.

-"Superior Spider-Man". (Slott "Spider-Man" in general actually.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/