Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MorphyVSFischer View Post
    Would he really though? Diving from I understand requires impeccable technique. Sure Steve could do a crazy amount of flips as he dives but there's a bit more to it then that I thought.

Also in regards to archery/shooting events what accuracy feats does Cap have?
    Diving is often something picked up by gymnasts. In fact I think one of the Chinese medalists in Rio is a former international gymnast.

Cap has better physical control and agility than any Olympic gymnast or diver, has precision feats of diving out of windows onto moving air vehicles (or flying colleagues), and can jump higher, meaning that he would be able to set VASTLY higher difficulty ratings than other divers, pushing his score up hugely.

The splashing is more a result of over-rotation, under-rotation or bad shaping on entry. None of these should be a problem for Cap. His shield-throwing feats alone demonstrate a far-above-real-world-peak-human appreciation of distances, angles etc, meaning he'll have no issue finding the optimised entry form for his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...he shouldn't be allowed to compete in both genders, just saying. ^_^
    Unfortunately I couldn't think of a female around peak human level who was also an American citizen.

Till now. Amended scenario: Captain America competes in all the Men's events and Mockingbird takes the place of all female American Olympians. How does the United States do in the medal count now?

Same overall result, just with less psychologically-scarring images of Steve Rogers in a lady's swimsuit.

Edit: In fact slightly better, given that they can now compete in multiple weight-classes.
    Last edited by Beadle; 08-22-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Cap has used guns in the last decade. In fact, during his Secret Avengers, head of SHIELD Era they made a bug deal that he could master any weapon you could possibly hand him, in comparison to say Moon Knight.

Incredible Member

Ryan Lochte tries to pass the buck on Steve and say that HE was the one that wrecked that gas station. Steve punches Ryan in the face like he's Hitler.

Incredible Member

I'm having problems seeing comic Cap lose in any event that doesn't have an artistic element or a team. Equestrian? He won't take that. Probably not Golf or Sailing, either.
    Steve is a bad artist? I thought that was his big talent before taking the super soldier serum.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Same overall result, just with less psychologically-scarring images of Steve Rogers in a lady's swimsuit.
    Pfft, speak for yourself. I'd watch him!

Even movie Cap is going to dominate everything remotely athletic, remember at the start of Winter Soldier? He ran roughly 13 miles in 30 minutes, that's a half marthon in less than 1/4th of the world record for a marathon at roughly 26 mph(Usain Bolt's top recorded speed is 27.79mph) all without much effort.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Pfft, speak for yourself. I'd watch him!
    I mean.. I am not normally into muscle guys, but this is Steve Rogers!

And the MCU version is Chris Evans so.... nuff said, right?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Steve is a bad artist? I thought that was his big talent before taking the super soldier serum.
    There's a big difference between being a painter who likes oils and someone who can pull off some kind of artistic gymnastic routine.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

There's a big difference between being a painter who likes oils and someone who can pull off some kind of artistic gymnastic routine.
    Gymnastics though (especially male gymnastics) is really just a list of moves that you string together for points. There is little art to it. All he needs to do is go to the move list, learn the hardest ones, and then string them together with his much better than any gymnast strength, agility, endurance, etc. There don't seem to be any moves he would be incapable of pulling off. If his toe pointing or whatever is off, the deductions are not going to be enough to drop him below the gold.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Even stuff like golf... How hard do you think it will be for Cap to figure out how to launch a thing into another thing? This a guy who bounces shields in ways that defy physics.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Gymnastics though (especially male gymnastics) is really just a list of moves that you string together for points. There is little art to it. All he needs to do is go to the move list, learn the hardest ones, and then string them together with his much better than any gymnast strength, agility, endurance, etc. There don't seem to be any moves he would be incapable of pulling off. If his toe pointing or whatever is off, the deductions are not going to be enough to drop him below the gold.
    I'm still iffy on that, especially with Rhythmic Gymnastics which, until the Watcher changed the OP to include Mockingbird for the Women's events, Cap still had to do.

I really can't see Cap winning Rhythmic Gymnastics.

Take that stuff out, and he'll do better in Gymnastics, sure. I'm not sure he'll take Gold in every event, especially the ones where the judges tend toward the artistic more, but he'll do well (anything that's 'just' do your best on the hardest moves, he easily cleans up).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Even stuff like golf... How hard do you think it will be for Cap to figure out how to launch a thing into another thing? This a guy who bounces shields in ways that defy physics.
    Part of it is learning which club/iron to choose, how hard to hit, how the ball will fly, putting and the various factors therein....

Would Cap figure it out really quickly?

Sure.

Would he figure it out from scratch, starting in the Olympics, against the top people, in time to not screw himself over with the first few losses and get himself kicked out the medals?

I doubt it.

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Fantastic Member

<snip>

Part of it is learning which club/iron to choose, how hard to hit, how the ball will fly, putting and the various factors therein....

Would Cap figure it out really quickly?

Sure.

Would he figure it out from scratch, starting in the Olympics, against the top people, in time to not screw himself over with the first few losses and get himself kicked out the medals?

I doubt it.

Mileage may vary.
    Hitting it far is not always a good thing in golf. Especially with the wind. I golf frequently and hitting it far can often get you in trouble. Distance control & accuracy is much more important than pure distance. There is a reason why the long drive champions are not in the PGA nor win frequently. For instance, Tim Burke won the long drive championship with his championship drive carrying 394 yards. He hasn't won on the tour this year. Dustin Johnson is leading the PGA tour with an average of 313 yards.

He isn't figuring it out quickly enough to medal. In fact, I think he has about a 50% chance of getting DQed after his first round. Golf has a LOT of tricky/quirky rules and the player is expected to know all of them (and he has to penalize himself if he breaks one of them). Signing a incorrect scorecard is an automatic DQ from the event. Lack of knowledge of the rules might take him down as well.

Golf is the one sport I'm pretty confident he isn't getting any medal in.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    Hitting it far is not always a good thing in golf. Especially with the wind. I golf frequently and hitting it far can often get you in trouble. Distance control & accuracy is much more important than pure distance. There is a reason why the long drive champions are not in the PGA nor win frequently. For instance, Tim Burke won the long drive championship with his championship drive carrying 394 yards. He hasn't won on the tour this year. Dustin Johnson is leading the PGA tour with an average of 313 yards.
    Exactly. Thanks for the more detailed and knowledgeable explanation.

Golf is the one sport I'm pretty confident he isn't getting any medal in.
    Unless Cap has actual feats for it, anything Equestrian should be out of his reach as well.
    Why are we here?