View Poll Results: do you agree this years blockbuster movies have been bad ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 59.26%
  • No

11 40.74%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default what happened to this years blockbuster movies .....

this year has been a really bad year for box office movies ! apart from Deadpool , Civil War movies like BvS , suicide squad , Independence Day and Star Trek haven't done well at all ! even the Star Wars Rouge one trailer just looks okish ... is it to do with poor marketing ? bad reviews ? bad trailers ?
    what do you guys think ?

BANNED

Bad movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post
    this year has been a really bad year for box office movies ! apart from Deadpool , Civil War movies like BvS , suicide squad , Independence Day and Star Trek haven't done well at all ! even the Star Wars Rouge one trailer just looks okish ... is it to do with poor marketing ? bad reviews ? bad trailers ?
    what do you guys think ?
    Ok come on. On what planet is suicide squad not doing well? Why do people keep posting this crap?

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Personally I think I've gone to see more films than ever this year. Deadpool,BvS, the Jungle Book, the Nice Guys,Captain America,X-Men, the BFG,the Purge,Star Trek and Suicide Squad. Not all were top quality but still overall I've enjoyed the films that I went to see this year.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Personally I'm just getting bored with the mind-numbing stream of huge, SFX-laden tentpole blockbusters. They're just all starting to look the same to me... even the good ones. The last one that really grabbed me was Fury Road.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Blockbuster and would be blockbuster overload.

The Top 10 Highest Grossing films so far.

1. Captain America Civil War
    2. Zootopia
    3. The Jungle Book
    4. Finding Dory
    5. Batman v Superman
    6. Deadpool
    7. Secret Life of Pets
    8. Suicide Squad
    9. The Mermaid
    10. X-Men Apocalypse

The above list will likely change when Doctor Strange (Disney), Fantastic Beasts (WB) and Rogue One (Disney) hit theaters this November and December.

Current list of flops and underperformers this year.

The Finest Hours - Disney

Zoolander 2 - Paramount

Divergent: Allegiant - Lionsgate

The Huntsman - Universal

The Boss - Universal

X-Men Apocalypse - Fox

Alice Through The Looking Glass - Disney

TMNT Out Of The Shadows - Paramount

Independence Day Resurgence - Fox

Warcraft - Legendary

BFG - Disney
    *Directed by Spielberg and written by the same guy who wrote E.T. back in 1982 with Spielberg

Tarzan - WB

Ghostbusters - Sony

Star Trek Beyond - Paramount

Pete's Dragon - Disney

Ben-Hur - Paramount

I attribute this phenomenon to over saturation, lack of appeal to the audience and or just not being entertaining.

I can count the number of this years "blockbuster" movies that interest me at all on the fingers of one hand. I would even be able do that if I were a smurf.

BANNED

I thought this might be in interesting topic on the quality of summer movies this year, but instead it's just some shitty topic on box office. Why have some movies failed this summer? Too many movies maybe? Bad to almost no marketing for some. Sending stuff out to die in some cases. It's not like the summer exactly started bad, (when it comes to box office) but as we approached the end of the actual summer this year people just seemed to stop going to see stuff that's part of the summer season...which starts before summer.

I think I may have actually seen more stuff of a consistently higher quality this summer movie season, (although not all blockbusters) although nothing as good as Mad Max Fury Road. Then again I don't really expect that quality from blockbuster studio action movies.

Fantastic Member

I thought the same thing, about quality and not box office. I've seen great films thar aren't necessarily blockbusters though.

One reason some of those films bombed, are as Simbob said (rarely agree with this guy) and the fact that people have other outletd to entertain themselves versus venturing into record heat (for some) to expensive movie theaters. You can get movie level quality from TV. You want big action? GoT...you want a good "chick flick"? OITNB...want a musical? The Getdown...want mindless fun? Pretty much anything on USA

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    I thought the same thing, about quality and not box office. I've seen great films thar aren't necessarily blockbusters though.

One reason some of those films bombed, are as Simbob said (rarely agree with this guy) and the fact that people have other outletd to entertain themselves versus venturing into record heat (for some) to expensive movie theaters. You can get movie level quality from TV. You want big action? GoT...you want a good "chick flick"? OITNB...want a musical? The Getdown...want mindless fun? Pretty much anything on USA
    Want superheroes? CW and Netflix.

BTW, when is Fox gonna get up off it's ass and put an X-Men property on their cable channel FX?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

In terms of Box office I wouldn't call 2016 a failure as much just not quite as good as 2015.

In terms of quality of films. That is always subjective. Personally I enjoyed early year releases like Zootopia & BVS. As for summer releases, I do agree it has been mostly dissapointing. Sure there have been some genuinly enjoyable films like Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, & Star Trek Beyond but most films have been average at best with far too many being pretty sub-par. I am also in the minority of people that didn't like Captian America Civil War, so yea.

But I still have afew films I want to see like Kubo & The Two Strings, Doctor Strange Moana & Sing! Which I trust will be at least decent films.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Want superheroes? CW and Netflix.

BTW, when is Fox gonna get up off it's ass and put an X-Men property on their cable channel FX?
    Did you just want someone to post this trailer here?

Edit: Why the hell would anyone want Fox putting it on FX. Like, nobody really watches FX. And it isn't like FX is like HBO, Stars, or Showtime where they can do almost whatever; they can probably do all the same things they could on FX on Fox.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 08-22-2016 at 04:10 PM.

BANNED

I know Mad Max Fury Road wasn't the first trailer to do this, (but I'm sure that trailer is why this is happening) but watching that Legion trailer again, it seems like trailer houses are really in love with that title/name drop thing. It's nice in the Legion trailer, but the new Luke Cage one has so little punch when it does it that it already feels like old hat that I'm sick of.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Did you just want someone to post this trailer here?

Edit: Why the hell would anyone want Fox putting it on FX. Like, nobody really watches FX. And it isn't like FX is like HBO, Stars, or Showtime where they can do almost whatever; they can probably do all the same things they could on FX on Fox.
    I actually hadn't heard of Legion. Thanks for the post.

FX is the Fox owned cable network. If I were doing an X-Men property, I'd put in on cable for the bigger budget that would merit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I actually hadn't heard of Legion. Thanks for the post.

FX is the Fox owned cable network. If I were doing an X-Men property, I'd put in on cable for the bigger budget that would merit.
    That seems weird, but I guess that kind of news could easily be lost in the multiple threads on the box office of the same few movies that came out this summer.

I know what FX is. FX shows don't get bigger budgets. FX is just basic cable, and a little seen basic cable station at that, they aren't like HBO. They aren't like HBO in how they make money, they aren't like them when it comes to budgeting shows, and they aren't like them when it comes to what they can get away with. Until Fargo I'd actually say most everything FX has done looks pretty cheap.