View Poll Results: do you agree this years blockbuster movies have been bad ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 59.26%
  • No

11 40.74%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Because Jan-May was the real "summer season" with Civil War and Zootopia grossing a billion dollars, Jungle Book coming close, and Deadpool, Super V Batman, The Mermaid, Kung Fu Panda 3 all making over half a billion dollars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...yr=2016&p=.htm

I think quality has been a big factor unless you're a DC fan the grownups have become more discerning. I think the best place to look at that is the horror genre.

Conjuring 2 - 300+
    Lights Out - 140+
    The Purge 3 - 110
    Shallows - 110
    10 Cloverfield Lane - 100
    Don't Breathe - 92
    The Boy - 60
    The Witch - 40

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    It amuses me greatly that some people still think Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad didn't do well "at all." Haha!! BvS made a little over $870 million and SS just recently passed $700 million. Considering the latter had pretty much no characters known to general audiences aside from the Joker and maybe Harley Quinn, that's pretty impressive. Both films did very well financially, and frankly (IMO) were better than either Deadpool or Civil War.
    Suicide Squad is the one that impresses me. It was thoroughly panned by the critics, had a big drop off the first week, the most rudimentary of plots, was just a side movie to the DCEU, yet just keeps making money. SS currently stands at $310M domestic, almost $710M worldwide. It should pass Iron Man 2 domestic by the end of the weekend, and maybe Iron Man by the end of next weekend, and it has already passed both of them worldwide. If you consider the ratio of box office vs production costs, SS, a B-list movie, has actually done better CA:CW, an A-list movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Suicide Squad is the one that impresses me. It was thoroughly panned by the critics, had a big drop off the first week, the most rudimentary of plots, was just a side movie to the DCEU, yet just keeps making money. SS currently stands at $310M domestic, almost $710M worldwide. It should pass Iron Man 2 domestic by the end of the weekend, and maybe Iron Man by the end of next weekend, and it has already passed both of them worldwide. If you consider the ratio of box office vs production costs, SS, a B-list movie, has actually done better CA:CW, an A-list movie.
    Except every SS trailer made sure to remind you Batman and Joker are in this movie. If you dont count the after credits scene we saw like 80% of batmans scenes in the trailers. And like 50% of jokers. Thats why the movie opened so big but you got reviews bitching there wasnt enough batman and Joker. People thought they were were gonna be a bigger part of the movie and i assume that was WBs intention. That being said I enjoyed the movie saw it 3x. Honestly id rather see a Deadshot and flagg movie then Harley. Have Deadshot going on assassination mission for years off with Flagg as his handler. Felt like Flagg and Deadshot had the best chemistry of any two characters. Though deadshot and Harley wasnt bad either. But a movie of Harley and Joker, well kill me now. Ivy and catwomen could be fun if they cast some good actresses, but a whole movie of Harley and joker sounds annoying.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In an era where tv shows like Game of Thrones, Strangers Tides, Making a Murderer and so on can capture the attention of the wider public, Hollywood movies are clearly lack the cultural pulse they once did. Television has moved on from its formulaic roots and whereas Hollywood movies are becoming repetitive, and pretty dumb too. It sucks that movies like ST Beyond and Kubo do so poorly though.

I have to agree. Overall Television has progressed far more then Cinema over the course of the 21st century so far. That's not to say we don't get good movies anymore, we do, just compared to modern television we don't get them as often as we should.

I mean I understand there are vast differences in the mediums, A television program has an entire season to develop and make us care about it's characters and world where films are expected to do so in a single outing, which is no easy task, but that is no excuse for Hollywood being as lazy as they are these days.

I think another thing is most of the movie industry hasn't really adapted to the times. I mean with modern TV shows there is a constant bombardment, not just with traditional means like advertisement, but also updates about the shows at conventions, Online updates by the people involved in the project via interviews, YouTube, twitter, and some writers and animators even have their own blogs dedicated to their shows which they update. TV networks even encourage the use of social media for fans to promote and talk about their shows, overall TV has become an interactive experience between content creator and content consumer. And while we may see this in certain genre films like CBM's & Sci-Fi flicks overall Hollywood hasn't been able to create the same level of interactivity with its audience.

And again another factor may be that Hollywood has gotten extremely lazy with its overreliance on CG effects over practical effects, established franchises over original ideas, and half-arising their output of established franchises where television at least tries with such.

But that's just my 2-cents.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 09-18-2016 at 07:59 AM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member

Every year you have movies that do better than expected and movies that do worse than expected. I dont understand what the big deal is. You have 8 movies with 300 million domestic with more to come.

Here's amy interesting video that explains some of the flaws with Hollywood.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

I agree with the posts about the over saturation of the market but I also think we're ignoring the increasingly bloated budgets for these films. Look at a list of the most expensive films ever made: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xpensive_films

All but two of the 58 listed on the "Adjusted for Inflation" chart were made after 1995 (Cleopatra 1963 and Superman 1978), all but six occurred after 2003. Studios just seem to have stopped being quite as strict in terms of spending.
    Last edited by trooper_thorn; 09-18-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Agreed, the budgets are getting out of control!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Agreed, the budgets are getting out of control!
    I think the studios would be better off making 10 $20 million dollar movies than one $200 million dollar movie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think the studios would be better off making 10 $20 million dollar movies than one $200 million dollar movie.

Definitely. Just look at the new Blair Witch film. It has received negative reviews and only opened to a $9.6M initial weekend but because of the small $5M budget it's pretty much guaranteed to make a profit.

On the other had you have Ghostbusters 2016 and Star Trek: Beyond that have earned $226M and $320M but are looking to lose $70M and $10M respectively (granted ST could still potentially break even due to China) because the heads of their respective studios refused to say "no" to the filmmakers.