View Poll Results: do you agree this years blockbuster movies have been bad ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 59.26%
  • No

11 40.74%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Sequels that nobody asked for, mostly to movies that made money but weren't well received at all. This seems to be a pretty big theme for the year. Alice, Huntsman, Bourne, Independence Day, Turtles, just off the top of my head. Would make me delay green lighten Suicide Squad 2 if I was WB, and using the aspects that did work as spare parts to other films. Can't see Squad 2 making more than the first with these trends.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Star Trek films have always had a bit of a problem breaking through to the mainstream audience-even the highest-grossing films before Abrams largely made a profit because they were fairly low-budget to begin with-around $10-30 million give or take (and hence why the first motion picture wasn't really considered profitable-it was one of the more expensive Trek films-$40 million especially in 1979, plus some additional costs from a decade of abandoned revivals). They largely cut corners on sets (Pretty much every TWOK set is recycled from TMP), and ocassionally on special effects as well (As good as "Wrath of Khan" is, and featuring neat new FX for the time such as the Genesis planet simulation, a good chunk of it's space footage for the first hour is largely recycled in various ways from "The Motion Picture".)
    Even the Abramsverse has kind of struggled a bit here and there. "Beyond" actually sort of told a somewhat more traditional "Trek" story (although not one overly referential like "Into Darkness"), and that might have turned some people off.
    Another factor may have played a part in it as well, concerning Star Trek Beyond. I was visiting a city in the south of the country earlier this month, just to spend a weekend there and do some sightseeing. In the evening I decided to watch a movie. I was down for a popcorn action flick, so I was debating whether I would see Star Trek or Suicide Squad. I had seen the Star Trek Beyond trailers, and with each of them, my reaction had been "Okay. It's a Star Trek movie. What else are they revealing about the plot or the characters in the trailer?" For me, there was no hook, nothing special to offer me that I hadn't already seen in previous Trek films. Whereas Suicide Squad had been promising some nice wacky action and a cast of colourful characters in their trailers and promos. So that weekend, I saw Suicide Squad. Because the marketing for Star Trek Beyond was terrible.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Spectacular Member

Star Trek is a simple case of wayang too high of budgets, too much time in between movies, and lackluster marketing compared to other Paramount tent poles. It's an easy fix. The next Trek film with Hemsworth has me really intrigued especially since Abrams couldn't even remember his name during the commentary of 2009, and now he's arguably bigger of a star than all of the Enterprise crew especially Kirk. Gotta think he was auditioning for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Another factor may have played a part in it as well, concerning Star Trek Beyond. I was visiting a city in the south of the country earlier this month, just to spend a weekend there and do some sightseeing. In the evening I decided to watch a movie. I was down for a popcorn action flick, so I was debating whether I would see Star Trek or Suicide Squad. I had seen the Star Trek Beyond trailers, and with each of them, my reaction had been "Okay. It's a Star Trek movie. What else are they revealing about the plot or the characters in the trailer?" For me, there was no hook, nothing special to offer me that I hadn't already seen in previous Trek films. Whereas Suicide Squad had been promising some nice wacky action and a cast of colourful characters in their trailers and promos. So that weekend, I saw Suicide Squad. Because the marketing for Star Trek Beyond was terrible.
    marketing is a double edge sword too though.

Wasting so much money on marketing just makes the "break even point" rise even more.

I figured more movies would have learned from Deadpool's marketing strategy but it really changed nothing. Its just all 1000000 commercials, 10 pre trailer trailers, then 10 trailers!!!

I feel you on star trek. Same happened to me except i chose to go see Bourne instead.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I really wish China would start making its own damn movies. Seriously, what's stopping them?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

FX has put out some really great shows so I don't know why you are acting like they are some nobodies. Shows like The Shield, The People Vs OJ Simson, Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy, Nip Tuck, Damages, Louie, Justified, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Fargo, American Horror Story, and The Americans are just as good and in some case better than shows on HBO. Hell FX has been in the top 5 the last few years as far as most Emmy nods right up there with the major networks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I really wish China would start making its own damn movies. Seriously, what's stopping them?
    China does make its own damn movies. It's just, they're the second biggest market for viewing movies in the whole world, and right now they're building theatres at a crazy rate. So why wouldn't the biggest movie making market in the world have them in mind too? But I wouldn't worry about it too much, the Chinese expansion sounds so much like the housing market bubble we had that I'm sure that's something that will burst soon.

Extraordinary Member

Too many movies with generic casts, you can't just take anybody and put them in a blockbuster. Used to be studios put stars or at least proven actors in these things.

Extraordinary Member

Little bit early for this thread, isn't it?

After all we still have Dr Strange and Rogue One coming.

But I think this has been a year that does demonstrate that throwing money into a movie does NOT necessarily equate to money coming back in. Hollywood went through the same sense of awareness decades ago with Cleopatra and The Fall of the Roman Empire ending the age of big-budget historical epics.

Now it seems that the sci-fi/fantasy movies are having the same experience.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Little bit early for this thread, isn't it?

After all we still have Dr Strange and Rogue One coming.

But I think this has been a year that does demonstrate that throwing money into a movie does NOT necessarily equate to money coming back in. Hollywood went through the same sense of awareness decades ago with Cleopatra and The Fall of the Roman Empire ending the age of big-budget historical epics.

Now it seems that the sci-fi/fantasy movies are having the same experience.
    You forgot about Fantastic Beasts.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    How cheap are we talking? Supergirl cheap, Killjoys cheap, Legends of Tomorrow cheap?
    Killjoys was just outright awful. Has it actually been renewed? That along with the Canadian abortion of a spinoff of Wentwood or whatever it was called.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Too many movies with generic casts, you can't just take anybody and put them in a blockbuster. Used to be studios put stars or at least proven actors in these things.
    Acting ability over celebrity status and appearance at least. Just because someone has abs or is friends with the director doesn't automatically make them a great actor. I'm still shuddering over the (lack of) talent of Craig Slocum in Dark Shadows back in 1968. He got the job because he was friends with creator Dan Curtis.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Suicide Squad has done very well in the box office considering it didn't air in China.

And BVS may have not made 1billion like WB wanted, but 872 million is hardly a failure.

It is sad that Star Trek Beyond didn't do better though.

Any who the real problem is too many movies coming out, it's hard for any to get ahead when audiences attentions are so split.

Overall 2016 is just a typical modern movie year on steroids. Sub-part movies getting far better reviews and making more money then they deserve, good movies underperforming, average films going either way, nothing new, just more films to be effected by it.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

In an era where tv shows like Game of Thrones, Strangers Tides, Making a Murderer and so on can capture the attention of the wider public, Hollywood movies are clearly lack the cultural pulse they once did. Television has moved on from its formulaic roots and whereas Hollywood movies are becoming repetitive, and pretty dumb too. It sucks that movies like ST Beyond and Kubo do so poorly though.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post
    this year has been a really bad year for box office movies ! apart from Deadpool , Civil War movies like BvS , suicide squad , Independence Day and Star Trek haven't done well at all!
    It amuses me greatly that some people still think Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad didn't do well "at all." Haha!! BvS made a little over $870 million and SS just recently passed $700 million. Considering the latter had pretty much no characters known to general audiences aside from the Joker and maybe Harley Quinn, that's pretty impressive. Both films did very well financially, and frankly (IMO) were better than either Deadpool or Civil War.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010