I was recently sorting through some comics, and ended up flipping through some "Secret Wars" tie-ins.

Even after a year, I still appreciate "Secret wars". The lead-in was the best run of "Avengers" (New or otherwise) that I have ever read. While the event itself was dialed back at the end, it still reads well. And, the tie-ins were structured to be optional. There was no need to read the core series to understand a tie-in, and vice versa.

The tie-ins were all 3 to 5 issues long, requiring minimal commitment from readers (and being low cost even if they were bad). Most of the tie-ins wrapped up well enough to no require any follow-up. (Even the few that did get follow-up did not really need it.)

The last event to have me as interested as "Secret Wars" was "Multiversity". Of course, being delayed for 6 or 7 years dulled my enthusiasm considerably. And, "Multiversity" was written to obligate follow-up, which has not happened (and is unlikely to).

As much as I liked "Secret Wars", I find myself more nostalgic (albeit after only a year) for the tie-ins.