Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I am eating nothing tonight. I tried, but damn near cut my fingertip off when the knife slipped in the onion. I was careless, and am paying the price. In lots of blood.
    Do you have access to anything like Kotex pads?

A guy I knew once cut himself badly while trying to slice a bagel and used one of his wife's menstrual pads to stop/absorb the bleeding.

Retired

I am eating nothing tonight. I tried, but damn near cut my fingertip off when the knife slipped in the onion. I was careless, and am paying the price. In lots of blood.
    Hope your finger gets better soon.

One thing I learned eons ago in my cook's training is to hold things down with your knuckles, finger tips curled under, when slicing them. That way if the knife slips it will hit your knuckles not your fingertips. This is how I chop vegetables.

For slicing bagels I learned another trick from youtube just recently. You put the bagel down flat on the cutting board, then put one hand flat over the bagel (no curled fingers) while with the other hand you slice half way through the bagel. Then you can finish the slice with the bagel perpendicular to the board--although I find it's just as is easy to complete the cut with the bagel lying flat. Now I sometimes use this method for slicing onions.

Not that that stops me from getting hurt. I make stupid mistakes in the kitchen all the time through carelessness--cuts and burns are common.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Do you have access to anything like Kotex pads?

A guy I knew once cut himself badly while trying to slice a bagel and used one of his wife's menstrual pads to stop/absorb the bleeding.
    SAdly, no. But I think I stopped the bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For slicing bagels I learned another trick from youtube just recently. You put the bagel down flat on the cutting board, then put one hand flat over the bagel (no curled fingers) while with the other hand you slice half way through the bagel. Then you can finish the slice with the bagel perpendicular to the board--although I find it's just as is easy to complete the cut with the bagel lying flat. Now I sometimes use this method for slicing onions.
    Yes, this works for loaf breads, large cheese wheels and other assorted food items that are larger and may slip during cutting. Also works for eggplant, cantaloupe and watermelon too.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hope your finger gets better soon.

One thing I learned eons ago in my cook's training is to hold things down with your knuckles, finger tips curled under, when slicing them. That way if the knife slips it will hit your knuckles not your fingertips. This is how I chop vegetables.

Not that that stops me from getting hurt. I make stupid mistakes in the kitchen all the time through carelessness--cuts and burns are common.
    The really rotten thing is I know all that, and simply got careless and did it wrong.

I'm actually normally pretty good slicing and such; this is the worst I've ever hurt myself in kitchen...though once I sliced my thumb with a mandolin where I stupidly wasn't using a handguard. That was on the very tip of my thumb, and I had to use superglue to stop the bleeding. It's what I had on hand. All it takes is a moment's inattention and carelessness.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-09-2023 at 02:31 PM.

Good news for foodies, at least in Canada.

A previously unknown truffle has been discovered in Eastern Ontario.

Apparently, it's quite tasty, if your into that sort of thing. I didn't even know there were native truffles in Canada.

Tonite: Spaghetti and (homemade) meatballs and garlic bread. Also a big garden salad.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Extraordinary Member

Now if you want something to wash all that food down, may I suggest you drink anything other than Tsingtao? Hops are one thing, but this...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-67191242

Now if you want something to wash all that food down, may I suggest you drink anything other than Tsingtao? Hops are one thing, but this...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-67191242
    I thought that was a regular ingredient in some beers . . . some taste like it is.

Invincible Member

Egg sandwich with peeper and cheese with a slice of salami.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Tonite: Spaghetti and (homemade) meatballs and garlic bread. Also a big garden salad.
    Lol, well, not to sound redundant to myself nor boring, I am making the same thing as listed above!

Just a coinkidink that I made that meal last on 10-22-23 and I am making it tonite 01-22-24 and that this thread was reactivated today!!!

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone know why they call it a red onion when it's obviously purple?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Does anyone know why they call it a red onion when it's obviously purple?
    I don't know for sure, but I know they used to use those onion skins to make dyes (reddish/pinkish/purple-ish). Perhaps the red color was most prominent?

Tonight I am having a steak sandwhich with onions and pepper and bbq sauce
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Steak Sandwhich is my dinner tomorrow night. I will make it with lettuce, tomatoe and onion, homemade coleslaw and homemade potatoe wedges.