Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Another vote in the negative column.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/...-a-list-editor

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING?! Not only is the look generic, CBR is going to be doing the whole list based articles thing. You know, the lazy click bait type thing that EVERY site does now. Wow. I really didn't think it could get worse. So, looks like CBR will become another Buzzfeed style news aggregate. Figures... At least we have the forum. For now.
    Can't wait to read such cracking journalism as '27 times Squirrel Girl was totes hilar' and '10 reasons why Hulk's death is similar to the Harambe incident #DicksOutForHulk'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Can't wait to read such cracking journalism as '27 times Squirrel Girl was totes hilar' and '10 reasons why Hulk's death is similar to the Harambe incident #DicksOutForHulk'.
    It's astounding. We've been told everything is staying the same when in fact the site is going to become a Buzzfeed clone like all the other hundred clones. What's the point of buying a site when you're going to change everything? It's baffling.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

shrewd.buddha

I suppose nothing lasts forever..

Finally found CBR.com after days of getting errors trying for Comicbookresources.com.

I will probably be visiting less and less until I eventually don't bother anymore.

The huge fonts, images and articles scrolling into other articles is very annoying.

BANNED

Lists don't necessarily have to be Buzzfeed style and bad. Cracked.com is almost all lists and it has much more original and higher quality content than CBR. The former best features on the site, Comic Book Legends Revealed and related entries, are list articles. If things could move in that direction I'd be happy.

I'd like to see CBR get the clicks it needs to thrive and create unique content with a strong voice beyond the entertainment news rewrites. As a freelance writer I've done the aggregation article thing for a company a bit like Valnet that snapped up a bunch of popular forums, and sites that just aggregate are pretty thin gruel.

You can look to Cracked, pre-buyout Topless Robot and the late Gawker as successful examples, they aggregate(d) and provide compelling original content which makes them more of an appealing destination. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but when I looked at Gawker I didn't go to as many news sites because I knew they would aggregate everything major, and I liked their original content. It wasn't a one-stop destination, but it leaned in that direction.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

As has been mentioned, list articles that are well written (like on Cracked) can be entertaining. What's not entertaining are those crappy ones that ask you to click through 47 stock photos, with an ad every third click, with captions that somebody threw together in 5 minutes.

It needs to be real content, not clickbait.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So I clicked to comment on an article and instead of taking me here, it opened up it's own comment window. What is the fate of the forum with these new changes?
    Assassinate Putin!

And we're done. Oh, I found one of Brian Cronin's articles here via his own "Legends" page, but it was like trying to read a billboard from the back seat of a taxi while you have a blinding headache (which is then made that much worse). One of the great things about CSBG was the lively comments section. We learned, we laughed, we shared, we sniped. We agreed and disagreed. Brian would occasionally jump in to correct something or express disbelief. All gone except for whatever Faceplant thing that's been welded on instead. Since I'm neither a grandmother nor a narcissist. nor a narcissistic grandmother, nor even a "business" attempting to replace genuine trade and industry with a cupcake based economy, I have no plans on joining Facething. Sure, if there's an actual reason, like to promote something, then maybe, down the road, but not for this.

I reiterate: ugly, broken, unnavigable. Potentially successful? Perhaps, if it makes more money and money is the only measure of success. Adieu.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Lists don't necessarily have to be Buzzfeed style and bad. Cracked.com is almost all lists and it has much more original and higher quality content than CBR. The former best features on the site, Comic Book Legends Revealed and related entries, are list articles. If things could move in that direction I'd be happy.

I'd like to see CBR get the clicks it needs to thrive and create unique content with a strong voice beyond the entertainment news rewrites.
    I think we can all agree on that, but it looks like that is not the direction this site is taking now. All the original content is buried deep if not removed. For those interested in Comic Book Legends it is now considered history
    http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-history/ EDIT: My apologies the links there do not work. Sigh. Any one else frustrated with this?
    Last edited by shamus; 08-26-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Lionroar

I've been coming to this site for years, but now with no columns and this horrible new format I'm out of here. If enough of us leave they will have to go back to the original style of go out of business. Leave now!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I can think of one positive thing.

It finally makes use of max-width depending on your screen resolution.

Testing across different browsers and mobile, though...woops. It's 2016. Not 2008. It's pretty much standard now that you design for mobile FIRST, browser second mainly because it inherently forces companies to consolidate and prioritize site maps/navigation. Secondly, browser and device detection. Even the worst web designers got on board with this two years ago.
    yes I agree completely it needed some updating in terms of resposiveness but THE CONTENT! That's where they have really lost a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post

I'd like to see CBR get the clicks it needs to thrive and create unique content with a strong voice beyond the entertainment news rewrites. As a freelance writer I've done the aggregation article thing for a company a bit like Valnet that snapped up a bunch of popular forums, and sites that just aggregate are pretty thin gruel.

You can look to Cracked, pre-buyout Topless Robot and the late Gawker as successful examples, they aggregate(d) and provide compelling original content which makes them more of an appealing destination. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but when I looked at Gawker I didn't go to as many news sites because I knew they would aggregate everything major, and I liked their original content. It wasn't a one-stop destination, but it leaned in that direction.
    Listicles CAN be good, true. It's rare, but it happens. The problem is why should CBR have to become a listicle style buzzfeed site in the first place? As evidenced in this thread, many people come here for the columns and journalism. If it ends up being "10 Crazy Ways Batman Has Dressed", aggregated news content and the occasional editorial... what's the point? CBR is(was) one of the last places to get up to the minute mainstream comic book news. Losing that in favor of click bait and generic news bits you can find on every other comic site sucks big time. All we have left is a forum that no longer connects to the main site and who knows for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Listicles CAN be good, true. It's rare, but it happens. The problem is why should CBR have to become a listicle style buzzfeed site in the first place? As evidenced in this thread, many people come here for the columns and journalism. If it ends up being "10 Crazy Ways Batman Has Dressed", aggregated news content and the occasional editorial... what's the point? CBR is(was) one of the last places to get up to the minute mainstream comic book news. Losing that in favor of click bait and generic news bits you can find on every other comic site sucks big time. All we have left is a forum that no longer connects to the main site and who knows for how long.
    Augie De Blieck Jr (former CBR columnist/employee) sums up why Valnet inc is changing things. Basically there is no real way to financially support a large site on just comic news/articles alone.

http://www.pipelinecomics.com/the-en...ok-journalism/

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    Augie De Blieck Jr (former CBR columnist/employee) sums up why Valnet inc is changing things. Basically there is no real way to financially support a large site on just comic news/articles alone.

Thanks for the link. It really says it all... the times they are a changin'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post

Thank you for pointing that out. I read it and it confirmed my thoughts on what has been happening over the years. It also confirmed that I am no longer the target audience for CBR. Lot's of fond memories but I'm moving on. Best of luck to all and thank you for your years of great comic book news and articles. For those who need a fill of old school comic book stuff check out http://bullyscomics.blogspot.ca/ You may know it already if not have fun.
    Last edited by shamus; 08-26-2016 at 11:39 AM.