Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    The CSBG twitter (Brian I presume) posted that CSBG is still part of the site, but now it's content is part of the main site.

https://twitter.com/csbg/status/768670285591478272

Edit: and it looks like there will be a CSBG tag to easier find the CSBG content.

http://www.cbr.com/tag/csbg/
    CSBG article are there, but when you try and click on ''the top 100 runs'', for example, the link brings you to the main website. So you can't even see the list.

Well, Newsarama used to be good, but it turned to crap and I stopped going there.

It sucks if that's happening here, too, but it seems like it is. Oh, well, I will find someplace else.

The Facebook comments thing I don't get. Is it about money? It's always about money, isn't it?

The new look...looks like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Well, Newsarama used to be good, but it turned to crap and I stopped going there.

It sucks if that's happening here, too, but it seems like it is. Oh, well, I will find someplace else.

The Facebook comments thing I don't get. Is it about money? It's always about money, isn't it?
    Easier to monitor. No anonimity. That's a big one. Trolls get out of hand, too many obscene comments, you can block them, report them, no fuss, no muss. Cuts the cost of running/hosting forums (only if you cut them eventually and go full FB or Disqus). Also, FB comments can go viral in the sense that people's posted comments can show up on their feed (unless of course they choose to block it from appearing) putting a site that many of their friends may not have visited before front and center. New eyes that wouldn't normally look for a CBR, maybe now clicking on the link and checking out the site.
    Last edited by GDC3; 08-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Taking away the forum links from the articles is going to kill a LOT of discussion on the forums. At least news related discussion. I imagine that's the point though, it'll give a reason to shut the board down. "Sorry guys, there just wasn't enough traffic to see the forum as being viable. Woopsie!" But hey, we'll have FB comments, where any sense of community or sub-culture will be killed off. Hooray!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Default Improvements

It really wouldn't take too much to pull the front page together. That "featured" 1 - 3 area needs to go (make it simpler - streamline it), pull the main image full screen - left to right, give some light backgrounds to the items on the left (and tag them so you know what you're reading - comics, movies, tv, etc.), and the ads on the right aren't even the same size as the other side bar items, etc. Small things add up!

CBR_NA.jpg

Spectacular Member

The new look of the front page suggests that at least some "improvements" are for enhancing the site for those connecting with their wireless devices (not that I'm an expert on that). Some of that is good, with some sites, as it reduces data consumption. But I don't don't understand the lack of navigation from the front page. Maybe this is due to work not completed yet. What there is does seem to load pretty fast for me.

I hope this is rewarding for the CSBG folks and the other bloggers. Lately, the front page was mainly a way for me to get a quick look at what was posted there. And I thought the clicks would benefit CBR.

I'll try to be an optimist and I wish everyone involved luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post

- Exactly! I don't even go to Newsarama anymore since their redesign. A) the redesign ruined the site, and they went from a site with good articles and columns to a site that just regurgitates the same info. you've already seen on a zillion other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Taking away the forum links from the articles is going to kill a LOT of discussion on the forums. At least news related discussion. I imagine that's the point though, it'll give a reason to shut the board down. "Sorry guys, there just wasn't enough traffic to see the forum as being viable. Woopsie!" But hey, we'll have FB comments, where any sense of community or sub-culture will be killed off. Hooray!
    That makes no sense. The site is theirs, if they didn't want the forums to exist they wouldn't exist. They wouldn't need a reason to legitimize that decision.

Also, I imagine article discussion will still find a way to make it to the forums. It's not like people are going to avoid talking about stuff just because there's no CBR News thread.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    That makes no sense. The site is theirs, if they didn't want the forums to exist they wouldn't exist. They wouldn't need a reason to legitimize that decision.
    It's the same thing that happened to Bleeding Cool and other sites that had connected forums that were offset by Facebook or Disquss widgets. I've seen numerous horror and metal websites where this goes down and it's happening more frequently. I'm not saying it's a reason to legitimize, it's the excuse that ends up being used.

It's the same thing that happened to Bleeding Cool and other sites that had connected forums that were offset by Facebook or Disquss widgets. I've seen numerous horror and metal websites where this goes down and it's happening more frequently. I'm not saying it's a reason to legitimize, it's the excuse that ends up being used.
    Okay...but that's not what you said earlier. There were more secret lairs, nefarious schemes, and and evil cackling laughter implied in your previous post.
    Conn Seanery

Even Mark Waid hates it. If you're offending Marvel's creators, you're making a big mistake.
    https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/768681907865329665

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    It's totally true though. It's the very first thing that springs to mind when I see it. Some scummy used car dealer that paid $10 to a kid that just learned Photoshop to make a cheap logo with no thought put into it. Absolutely hideous.
    You got that right. They're still tweaking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I just saw that I can't even see the past CSBG blog about top 10 or top 100. WOW, that is actually very bad. Get a grip CBR, because everything that makes me choose you over Newsarama, Comicvine or Bleeding Cool was the blogs and the fact that it's the biggest X-Men community. I just lost 50% of what brings me here...
    Comic Vine has gone to the dogs too, to be fair. During San Diego Comic Con week, they didn't publish the previews or their Best Stuff in Comics feature, due to lack of staff. They also repost Gamespot content sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronDuck View Post
    Robot 6, Spinoff Online, and Comics Should Be Good all seem to be victims of the CBR Lobotomy.

The only column that CBR seems to be keeping at this point is . . . surprise, surprise. . . The Social Justice Warrior editorial "The Mission"

Columns that survived the CBR Lobotomy and can be found elsewhere.

1. Tilting at Windmills is at www.comicsbeat.com
    2. The pipeline is at www.comicbook.com

please expand and repost this list if you find more relocated Columns or if you can confirm the fates of the previously hosted websites Robot 6, Spinoff Online, e.t.c.

Has anybody heard if the Marvel Q & A's Axel in charge, and X-position are continuing?
    Should have seen this coming.
    http://www.cbr.com/looking-back-at-1...-years-at-cbr/

Pipeline is actually an independent site now. http://pipelinecomics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Okay...but that's not what you said earlier. There were more secret lairs, nefarious schemes, and and evil cackling laughter implied in your previous post.
    All I've been saying is that these types of changes can and have led to forums being shut down, despite the constant promises of everything being okay. This is how it usually works. Divert traffic from the forum to the main pages where the widgets are and less discussion takes place on said forums. Eventually traffic dies down enough and keeping the forum up seems a bit pointless. I'm not saying it's intentional... but it DOES happen. This isn't some conspiracy suggestion like you're trying to paint it as.

All I've been saying is that these types of changes can and have led to forums being shut down, despite the constant promises of everything being okay. This is how it usually works. Divert traffic from the forum to the main pages where the widgets are and less discussion takes place on said forums. Eventually traffic dies down enough and keeping the forum up seems a bit pointless. I'm not saying it's intentional... but it DOES happen. This isn't some conspiracy suggestion like you're trying to paint it as.
    This sounds like you're saying it's intentional to me:

Taking away the forum links from the articles is going to kill a LOT of discussion on the forums. At least news related discussion. I imagine that's the point though, it'll give a reason to shut the board down.
    But if you say it's not, okay.
    Conn Seanery

The new design looks awful. I always access the forums directly, though, so I'll just avoid using the site from now on.