Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    It's the same thing that happened to Bleeding Cool and other sites that had connected forums that were offset by Facebook or Disquss widgets. I've seen numerous horror and metal websites where this goes down and it's happening more frequently. I'm not saying it's a reason to legitimize, it's the excuse that ends up being used.
    Yeah, this has happened to a LOT of music sites, and metal sites in particular. The rise in blog-style content has almost completely overtaken traditional review/interview websites that had forums and it's very disheartening. I see that happening here too, whether intentionally or non intentionally.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

I don't like the new design. Its so blah and plain. :/

Fantastic Member

All I really looked at was the Comics Should be Good posts. I'm sad that there's no easy way to access them yet.

The article talking about the changes updated. http://www.cbr.com/welcome-to-the-new-cbr-2/

"Anyone with constructive criticism, feedback or questions can contact me directly. Change can be scary, and all of us had a lot of emotional attachment to CBR‘s prior design. CBR means a lot to a lot people for a very good reason, and there’s a huge responsibility and privilege in living up to that. The site may look different, but the editorial crew driving content remains the same, as does the focus: providing the absolute best in comic book and pop culture news, analysis and commentary. I’ve never been more confident in our ability to do so."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    For anyone who doesn't have it book marked here's Brian's site

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/

and here's his twitter and Comics Should Be Good's

https://twitter.com/Brian_Cronin

https://twitter.com/csbg
    Thanks. If Brian were to set up a Patreon I'd be there like a shot.
    How ironic (choke)

Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    All I really looked at was the Comics Should be Good posts. I'm sad that there's no easy way to access them yet.

The article talking about the changes updated. http://www.cbr.com/welcome-to-the-new-cbr-2/

"Anyone with constructive criticism, feedback or questions can contact me directly. Change can be scary, and all of us had a lot of emotional attachment to CBR‘s prior design. CBR means a lot to a lot people for a very good reason, and there’s a huge responsibility and privilege in living up to that. The site may look different, but the editorial crew driving content remains the same, as does the focus: providing the absolute best in comic book and pop culture news, analysis and commentary. I’ve never been more confident in our ability to do so."
    PS: A lot of the columns you came here to read, are now permanently gone or incredibly hard to find.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Amazing Member

Looks more clickbaity, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    Ditto. I'm not so thrilled by having to dredge through everything else to find them, either. Cherry on the cake is the new comments system: I liked the old 'name and email address' bit, even if the wrong-name bug got a bit annoying towards the end, but I would have gladly used my CBR forum account to comment. Now, it's yet another subsidiary of facebook, which I've managed to avoid so far. (iconoclastic rebel or pathetic luddite, that's just the way it is) I get that it's probably easier for most to comment from that kind of permalogged feed, but not for all. It's widening one door but shutting all the others.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Even Mark Waid hates it. If you're offending Marvel's creators, you're making a big mistake.
    https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/768681907865329665
    So I'm still the soul mate of Mark Waid (as far as opinions go)

See, I absolutely despise general social media monoliths and have devised my own pet names for them: Faceplant, Twits'r. Lately I added Disgust seeing as that sprite showed up and ruined my non-entertainment sites earlier this year.

Imagine that.
    Growing up I rarely spoke to anyone and it wasn't until getting the internet and discovering forums that I got out of my shell far enough to do more than peek at the world. Now -thanks to...social *cough* media moguls I'm being forced back into my shell because there is no way in double-He-hockey puck I'm giving any of those questionable security and elitist places my i.d. info.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The simple fact is a corporation came in , decided hey ...we have sites that have this uniform deal and we can do it here.

And they lost it. They lost the flavor , the different flavor type of site. In fact the site looks like any normal cookie cutter site out there. Its why it has a fail.
    You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now...

(I like what you say, BTW. I imagine a tabletop being tenderised, somewhere.)
    Last edited by Vermis; 08-25-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    More and more sites are moving to Facebook commenting because a) it means the site admins no longer have to worry about maintaining it, and b) it eliminates anonymity and therefore (supposedly) cuts down on trollish behavior.
    As long as you can continue to make email accounts for free there will always be anonymity. Just create an email account and don't use your real name for it.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by kinwolf View Post
    Tried to reach www.comicbookresources.com

got

Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed
    Guru Meditation:

XID: 261882576

Varnish cache server

I'd flog that guru if I were you. Doesn't check his work much does he, it's been like that for an hour at least
    It's been like that since yesterday. I made a comment about it a few pages back.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    That makes no sense. The site is theirs, if they didn't want the forums to exist they wouldn't exist. They wouldn't need a reason to legitimize that decision.

Also, I imagine article discussion will still find a way to make it to the forums. It's not like people are going to avoid talking about stuff just because there's no CBR News thread.
    I very rarely use the forums when there isn't a CBR News Thread.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Or thousands of other sites. It's the generic look of the day that caters to a mobile viewing experience. Uninspired.

The real problem though is the removal of the content that made CBR an essential site for comic book fans such as Comics SHould Be Good and the columns such as The Buy Pile.
    Agreed. I imagine that they don't have analytics or some data-mining system in place to determine the most frequently trafficked pages/sections so as to better inform the design. They seriously need a real designer that would have told them all of that instead of just a developer mimic-ing competition so as to just look legitimate or more accurately in-the-present (which is always not at all whenever anyone thinks that way).
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 08-25-2016 at 06:26 PM.

All-New Member

Now that I've had a day to let the new CBR sink in, I just wanted to chime in with the fact that I've got some of the same criticisms with the site that many others appear to have.

Usability: My heart sank when I thought that Comics Should Be Good was, no longer, a "thing". Turns out, that content IS still here. But, good luck finding it! EVERYTHING has been lumped under the "Comics News" header making it, unnecessarily, painful to search for anything. And the flakey search function hasn't helped matters. CSBG and any of the other "subsections" of the site REALLY need to have their own headers in the menu and the site content needs to be better organized and tagged so that we can, actually, find stuff (I see there is a "csbg" tag on some stuff, now...a start...hopefully, there will be more "fixing"). This one-size-fits-all "news" tag just isn't going to cut it.

Visual Interface: Please ratchet the font and graphics DOWN a few sizes. Yes, I get that you want to target mobile devices, and can, certainly, appreciate it, but there needs to be some compromise for those of us who don't want to explore the site on a tiny screen. It's, especially, difficult for longer and more graphic intensive articles. I got fed up and had to go over to Newsarama to read the Marvel November Solicitations. I felt like it would take me a day-and-a-half to get through them on this site. Everything's just too damn big.

User Interaction: HATE the Facebook comments plug-in like the plague. I don't want to log in to Facebook (which I rarely use) just to comment on a site that isn't Facebook. Makes no friggin' sense! Was Disqus not an option?

My two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebro View Post
    User Interaction: HATE the Facebook comments plug-in like the plague. I don't want to log in to Facebook (which I rarely use) just to comment on a site that isn't Facebook. Makes no friggin' sense! Was Disqus not an option?

My two cents...
    Wasn't that the very way that the Spinoff Online comments worked?