Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    D-ski

I signed on to CBR back in the late 90's. Never posted much - never had much to say, so my opinion is probably moot for the most part. Don't read many new comics, but I love old comics. The columns are what kept me coming back to CBR on a consistent basis. Comics Should Be Good (and all its sub categories like Abandoned Love, etc.), Robot 6 - good stuff, and good memories for an old duffer like me. If the columns are gone, well, I guess it will be time for me to move along as well.

Change is good. Provided it's a good change.

Yeah, the main website is loading 50% of the time. The design is really bad IMO, like most of the other websites. Why change something already successful?

Anyway, i'm staying for the forums. If they disappear, be aware that most of us will never come back on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronDuck View Post
    I loved Comic book resources because it was one of the last comic book news websites that functioned like a normal website designed for laptops and Desktops. If you want to have a mobile version for tablets and "smart phones" and people that want to use the internet that way then great you do that. However, please don't force this lazy mobile "design" for the normal PC Browser based internet.
    The focus of web design has changed. Sites are best when fully responsive across all platforms to function optimally, offering a consistent experience for users. Sites that don't have a responsive design will get slammed by Google. Responsive trumps separate sites for several reasons.

That said, I'm not the biggest fan of this new design, aesthetically speaking. Hopefully it gets tweaked.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Honestly I can't say I care much for the new look. It's kind of lazy/genaric IMHO. I would say go back to the old one.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I did not like it. It is very heavy to load up, I dont know if it's temporary because it is fresh. Another problem is that does not have a direct link to the community forum in each post, I dont have nor plan to have a facebook just to comment. And It was easier to seek posts before.
    Last edited by Hank XTC; 08-24-2016 at 04:15 PM.

All-New Member

Gah!! Where are the blogs?!? I NEED Comics Should Be Good...

wahwho

Been a lurker for quite a while without posting, but...

This design is bad. Really bad. It's difficult to navigate, unattractive, and slow (actually, it just broke completely with a 502 error, and then a 503 on search). It actively makes me want to not visit the site because it looks like the kind of place that has malware-ridden ads. A few concrete points of critique that I'd usually charge for in my day job:

- Your audience is primarily comic book readers. They're used to a rich visual medium that integrates text and images. Going to this gridded mess where half the text has no visual relationship to the associated image and the other half has a poorly-designed screen effect is the opposite of what you should be doing.
    - Your font face is not great and your sizes are really bad, desktop, laptop, or mobile.
    - The category tag insets are not useful information and clutter the screen. If they were meaningful that might be one thing, but they don't add anything to navigation. I'd still design them differently even then.
    - I hate the ads integrated into the sidebar, but get why they're there so I won't complain too much about that.
    - Your link categories are not useful either. 'News', 'Previews', and 'Reviews' seem like a very constrained way of sorting your content given the natural communities that are part of comic book fandom. It also doesn't give me any hint that some actual interesting content might be hidden away on the site (assuming it still is - CSBG? The Line it is Drawn? More of the historical content or discussion?) If you're just not doing that any more, or you're not advertising that you're doing it, there's really no reason for me to be here vs. any of the other hundred sites that have news, previews, and reviews.
    - Something just loaded that made Safari run at 100% of it processor, which is never a good sign.

...I'll stop now, that's more time than I should have spent on this.
    Last edited by wahwho; 08-24-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

The site is refusing to load on my phone, which is how I read CBR. If you don't either revert back to the old one, or immediately overhaul everything, I'm never using this site again. I'm sure a lot of peopel agree with me.
    Cyclops was right

Spectacular Member

Ugh, I hate change! And I hate this new look.

I'll start with the good:

1. I like how the previews and review pages are set up. It is quick and easy to find comics.

2. It's not in Comic Sans.

3. Barbie Girl by Aqua is not playing in continuous loop in the background.

4. The forums have been left alone. BUT, to comment on an article you have to log onto Facebook...not a good sign.

Now for the bad:

1. Everything else.

I can not find the November solicitations anywhere. The "Search" function just gives me #504 errors. I do suspect this will be fixed. But hey, I can post something to Pinterest right from any page now. My sister will be thrilled that my comicbooks will share the same page as her onion dip recipes and "fun" socks.

Edit: I've found the solicitations. It was linked through a story I found on the "Lists" tab.
    Last edited by CenturianSpy; 08-24-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    The focus of web design has changed. Sites are best when fully responsive across all platforms to function optimally, offering a consistent experience for users. Sites that don't have a responsive design will get slammed by Google. Responsive trumps separate sites for several reasons.

That said, I'm not the biggest fan of this new design, aesthetically speaking. Hopefully it gets tweaked.
    Is that why sites have a boring generic look nowadays?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Is that why sites have a boring generic look nowadays?
    When they use a template (which is often a cheaper, quicker route to take), yes that can be the result. Sites that build from the ground up and employ a more customized, rich design can be pretty immersive or dynamic. They can break that generic mold. That costs more.
    Last edited by GDC3; 08-24-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Is the Buy Pile still on the site or do I have to look for it somewhere else?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Amazing Member

Hate the redesign. Hate the dropping of columns. Moving on.

BANNED

What on Earth have you done with this website? It now spends half its time loading, the solicitations pages are borderline impossible to look at because they're so bloody long, and all the text and images are massive for no reason at all. Your site had a very simple, understandable layout and now it looks like Buzzfeed.

This just smacks of the Windows 8 approach; change for the sake of change, casting aside a winning formula that is familiar to your readers, and throwing in new design elements that no one asked for and no one needed. Do yourselves a favour here - cut your losses on however much you paid for the web design and just change it back before you sink any more costs trying to salvage this wreck.

In the meantime, I'll be heading over to Newsarama for my comic news.