Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Whatever happens it should have happened here. I was really getting into it, I was emotionally invested, got to the last page and slammed the table...cmon thats just straight bullshit and the moment suffered. It coulda been something special and it just went limp...first time I've been legit angry at a comic
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I disagree that Tynion's Tim is only "hacker Tim." He's also a boyfriend, a strategist, a planner, an inventor and builder, brave, loyal, has a special relationship with Batman, and is open to new teammates (he's never been a jerk to Kate or Clayface in this run).

Steph and Cass also have moments - they'll get their arcs in the coming months, but I've loved the little moments and characterizations Tynion's given them. Again, I don't think it's deep stuff, but it's more than just one trait-per-character.
    We pretty much agree about this series. It's not an in depth study of any of the characters or anything like that. But that doesn't mean they're 1 dimensional cardboard cutouts. Steph and Cass have their own arcs coming up, so complaints about them being underdeveloped are kind of impatient IMO. This arc was more focused on Kate and Tim, we got to see a few different sides to both of them. Especially Kate, who's character has been explored in a pretty satisfying way so far.

Mighty Member

So, let's talk about the League of Shadows. Looks like they might be real. We see someone with black eyes in the scene where Cassandra Cain is helping out everyone in the building. Any thoughts on this?

Of course they're real.

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    So, let's talk about the League of Shadows. Looks like they might be real. We see someone with black eyes in the scene where Cassandra Cain is helping out everyone in the building. Any thoughts on this?
    I think that guy's actually going to be a part of the upcoming Victim Syndicate.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

I think it will turn out that the Colony was right about the League of Shadows existing, and the location of their operatives. But the League will turn out to be morally gray as opposed to just evil. So just wiping them out, even without killing civilians, still would have been a mistake.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think it will turn out that the Colony was right about the League of Shadows existing, and the location of their operatives. But the League will turn out to be morally gray as opposed to just evil. So just wiping them out, even without killing civilians, still would have been a mistake.
    Agreed. I just dread what is possibly coming next issue
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Agreed. I just dread what is possibly coming next issue
    I'm excited, he's going to use strategy to take out those drones just like the good old days. No hacking, no flying into them with his stupid New 52 costume. Just pure skill and strategy. So no matter what happens to him, it will be a victory for Tim fans.

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Yeah, I said before, that man with black eyes is suspicious. Do you think Cassandra fights with him? When the man leaves, Cassandra looks at him and turns her head a bit. She reads body language, maybe saw something is wrong with him.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post
    Yeah, I said before, that man with black eyes is suspicious. Do you think Cassandra fights with him? When the man leaves, Cassandra looks at him and turns her head a bit. She reads body language, maybe saw something is wrong with him.
    I wondered about that too
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member

I liked this issue overall; I can still see the same elements that wound up hurting Tynion's writing on other books, but they still seem restrained so that they don't suck. It's still very decompressed, but the pacing is still going fast enough for me right now, since it feels more like a graphic novel's pacing than the far too slow Eternal books and more meaty than the Red Hood arc. Tim is still being a computer guy more than anything else, but there's some creative thought to having the drones target him as opposed to magically deactivating them.

And it's still mostly Kate's arc, what with her getting the character dialogue with Bruce, but we still got character moments for everyone else. If we're in for a reduced cast next month, than I'm confident that Cass and Steph will get good arcs coming up. Though looking at Tim's actions here, I really think they're going for him faking his death here; his pauses while talking to Clayface and Steph seem suspicious, and Tynion seems to be playing Tim at the cliffhanger as having a plan that's more likely to be intentionally complicated as opposed to staying alive. And again, physically killing him would just cause more annoyances than it would be worth.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

This was pretty good. New 52 Tim still isn't as much fun as pre-Flashpoint Tim, but at least he's finally got a consistent voice and personality. Sure looks like he's on his way out, however.

I fully expect the next issue to be my final issue of Detective. No Tim, no buy. But maybe there will be a twist here. Very intrigued by the panels from Orphan's evacuation. We're assuming that guy was League of Shadows, right? It would be much more fun if Jacob Kane was right, and they are real and EVERYWHERE. Make Jacob's mistakes all the more tragic.

Part of me wishes that I cared about the characters in this book beyond Tim, since there seems to be a potentially interesting story brewing. But I don't, at all. So next issue is going to be telling indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Part of me wishes that I cared about the characters in this book beyond Tim, since there seems to be a potentially interesting story brewing. But I don't, at all.
    I'm actually genuinely sorry to hear that. Any particular reason why no one else has caught your interest?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I'm theorizing that we could see sometime off for Tim. Again I have to wonder if he's being set up right now to be the next Oracle as it would fit him to a point. He could still do the RR thing eventually, but it's a way to take him out of the picture for a few beats without resorting to killing him.

Question, other then the League of Shadows, could the eyes be those of our Mystery Men? Given that OZ seems to be operating in the pages of Superman, I have to wonder if Doc M. might be involved here? There's also the option that this could be something different coming, though not the LoS.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Sometimes I read comments here and scratch my head. We get what, 20 pages with Rebirth every 2 weeks, and people want a magnus opus every time. Tynion has said repeatedly each arc will focus on a different character. This had an awesome moment with Kate and Bruce as kids - one, as far as I'm aware of, has never been explored. We saw Jacob's anger at Thomas. And then in an arc about Kate we got the best Tim that has been depicted in years. Smart, torn between the life he wants and the obligation he feels towards Bruce. I mean, how often has the obligation these kids feel towards the billionaire who took them in been explored.

I'll add that I absolutely love Clayface. What an inspired choice and depiction. And spoilers - Tim fakes his death, goes to college and becomes the new Oracle