Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Watching the CW-verse

I really don't know where else to put this but I made an account here just ask because I had nowhere else to really ask. So here goes:

I'm a huge fan of the Flash. He's my favourite DC superhero and beats out my favourite Marvel one, so I guess you could call him my favourite superhero of all time. As such, I have watched and am a massive fan of the CW show of the same name. I just love everything about it and if Barry Allen wasn't straight he'd probably be my definition of perfection in human form. But, on to the question:

I know that only episodes here and there cross-over with the Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow in the CW's expanded universe. But I'm just pondering if it's worth watching those shows as well? I should mention that I have watched season 1 of Arrow before. I liked it, but didn't think it was Earth-shatteringly brilliant. I've never seen anything of Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow.

So for anyone here that watches them (presumably some of you must) I'd ask if it's worth bothering with watching the lot, or should I just stick to Flash? It's not like I totally lose the plot in the tie-in and cross-over episodes, it just feels like I'm missing something. But I don't want to commit to 3 whole other shows if it's not going to be worth my while.

Plus I'll need to look up a list of what order the episodes of each show aired in in relation to each other so I can catch up properly without things being lurchingly out of place.

But to stick to the central question: Is it worth my time to watch all of the CW shows?

BANNED

Arrow First half of season 1, 3-4: Just Listen to as back ground noise as you do something else.
    Arrow Last half of Season 1 and 2: Watch
    Supergirl and LoT you should look up "essential episode" guides

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I haven't watched SG significantly enough to say anything about that just a couple of random eps.

Arrow S2 is not better than 1 it is on Par but with some really bad writing/motivations so if you thought 1 was okay might not be worth investing in 23 episode 2nd season. Arrow Season 3 and 4 are pure garbage so definitely avoid AT ALL COSTS.

LoT is okay, not bad but not good has a shorter episode count so worth checking out I guess.

Not CW-verse but iZombie is pretty brilliant best DC CW show by far.

So bottom line is it worth catching up on the CW verse? No probably not. Stick to Flash and give LoT a go.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I really love Flash & Supergirl myself, I would say to definitely watch those. As for Arrow season 1 & 2 are decent, season 3 is a tedious slog and season 4 is hit and miss, but it does have neat crossover eps with Constantine & Vixen. Legends of Tommorow is a fairly entertaining show i'd say give it a go and see what you think.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Mighty Member

Simple note here: Supergirl season isn't technically a CW-verse show yet. It ran on CBS for its first season before moving to the CW. Flash made an appearance in the Supergirl show by running into Supergirl's dimension, but the events of that Supergirl episode were so insignificant that Barry didn't even mention meeting Supergirl when he got back.

That said, Flash is definitely the best of the four shows you mentioned. Season 2 though does point out some of the flaws in the show. Hopefully, the producers will fix these flaws in season 3. All in all though, the Flash definitely has the most stand out cast of the four shows with four of my favorite characters in the CW verse on it (Barry, Joe, Harrison, and Cisco).

Legends of Tomorrow starts very slow, but significantly improves by the end of the season and did the best thing possible for the show by getting rid of two of its most annoying characters at the end of the season. It's not as good as Flash (largely because Vandal Savage is underwhelming as a protagonist), but by the end of the season, I really liked a good number of the cast. With the departure of the two most annoying characters (and some intriguing new hires for new heroes), this show could have as good an ensemble as Flash. Definitely look into this show. Also, the episode where the team meets Jonah Hex is a really great episode.

Arrow seasons 1 and 2 are pretty solid, but that show lost me in the middle of season 3 because I could not tolerate the severe drop in quality. Seriously, if you do watch Arrow, stop watching after season 2 ends.

Supergirl had a decent start but largely flops in the first half of the season until the introduction of another Justice League member to the mix. The show does improve here, but it still suffers from the occasional bout of terrible writing. Surprisingly, the episode where Flash shows up is actually one of the worst of the second half of the season. I really did not like the last episode of the season. However, since Barry has now done something that many speculate will likely bring Kara into the CW-verse for good, there is potential here for improvement with combining the different aspects of the two universes (metahumans and aliens, both heroes and villains, could now work together). All in all, Supergirl is a mixed bag for me, but it does have a good number of people who really, really love the show. It's worth checking out if only because Melissa Benoit is very good as the main character.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The first two seasons of Arrow are ok. The show takes a dip in quality over the next couple seasons.

Supergirl has a closer optimistic tone to that of the Flash. If you like The Flash then you will probably like Supergirl.

Legends of Tomorrow gets a bit repetitive, drags a little and can be a bit all over the place at times. The showrunners admitted they made the first season fast and didn't really find their footing for a while. They also clearly run out of ideas for two of the characters on the show towards the end of the first season.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

With Supergirl you can jump around and just watch the good episodes and not miss much. The show did get better as the season went on I think, but those first 10 or so episodes besides the pilot ore skipable.

Worlds Finest - episode 18 - The Flash/Supergirl crossover.
    Pilot - episode 1 - Good origin telling
    Bizarro - episode 12 - Supergirl take on a Bizzaro version of herself
    For the Girl Who Has Everything - episode 13 - a take on the classic Superman story
    Falling - episode 16 - Supergirl get exposed to red kryptonite and becomes unstable
    Manhunter - episode 17 - tells how the Martain Manhunter came to have the John Jones secret ID

To me those are the best 6 episodes of season 1.

Spectacular Member

Honestly just watch all of the shows starting with arrow and you wont regret it. By the time you have seen all four shows you will be hooked with how there all connected. Sure the flash is the best but the overall experience is rewarding.

BANNED

only thing is good on the CW's is The Flash the rest is soap opera

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBatman82 View Post
    only thing is good on the CW's is The Flash the rest is soap opera
    Hate to break it to you but Flash is Soap opera as well...

Supergirl is my favorite, with Flash a close second. It will be interesting to see what they do with Supergirl on the CW. In my opinion Supergirl, Flash, and also Legends of Tomorrow are well worth watching.

arrow is not a good show but i still watch it for some damn reason. flash is great, legends has it's episodes that i enjoy a lot.

never watched supergirl but was wondering do they acknowledge that there is a superman??

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    arrow is not a good show but i still watch it for some damn reason. flash is great, legends has it's episodes that i enjoy a lot.

never watched supergirl but was wondering do they acknowledge that there is a superman??
    Yes, and he will appear in season 2.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    Yes, and they went to great lengths to not show him because they were afraid he'd overshadow Kara. This is one of the major flaws of the series. So much of the series focuses on the importance of family. Kara has no bigger family than her own cousin, Clark. So how does he talk to her? Messaging on a computer. Every time he shows up, they only show him through blurry vision, from far off, or just show his hands or boots.

On top of this, the main characters name drop him every chance they get. Instead of having the best hero occasionally drop by to say hi and maybe help out every once in a while, they tried to ignore him as much as possible while also saying how important he is to Kara and the world, and it just didn't work. All it led to was the fans being constantly frustrated because Superman is an extremely important part of Kara's story, and the ludicrous means of not showing him only made everyone scream, "Oh come on! Just show him already!"

Fortunately, this is being corrected in season 2.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Yes, and they went to great lengths to not show him because they were afraid he'd overshadow Kara. This is one of the major flaws of the series. So much of the series focuses on the importance of family. Kara has no bigger family than her own cousin, Clark. So how does he talk to her? Messaging on a computer. Every time he shows up, they only show him through blurry vision, from far off, or just show his hands or boots.

On top of this, the main characters name drop him every chance they get. Instead of having the best hero occasionally drop by to say hi and maybe help out every once in a while, they tried to ignore him as much as possible while also saying how important he is to Kara and the world, and it just didn't work. All it led to was the fans being constantly frustrated because Superman is an extremely important part of Kara's story, and the ludicrous means of not showing him only made everyone scream, "Oh come on! Just show him already!"

Fortunately, this is being corrected in season 2.
    In the pilot the characters seemed to go out of their way not to say the name Superman. It got annoying halfway through with all the references to 'my cousin'. Superman coming to National City becomes a plot point early on, when him coming to help her undermines the public perception of Supergirl, giving those who don't like her more ammo (Livewire would have had a field day crowing about how the so-called Supergirl needed help from Superman). It gets harder to believe in the season finale, when Clark falls under the influence of the mind control affecting the National City citizens apparently because his mind was more human than Kara's due to his upbringing. This isn't actually confirmed to be the case, just speculation by Max Lord. Perhaps start of next season we'll get a better explanation, such as Allura programming in some kind of genetic immunity that protected Kara. If that sounds stupid, go back to the farm boy upbringing weakness theory.