Astonishing Member

Default Superman in DKIII

Hi,

I will probably wait for this to be collected in trade before reading it, but have any S-fans been reading it yet? Few things are more controversial than Frank Miller writing Superman, so just wanted to get an idea on what the consensus is.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Hi,

I will probably wait for this to be collected in trade before reading it, but have any S-fans been reading it yet? Few things are more controversial than Frank Miller writing Superman, so just wanted to get an idea on what the consensus is.
    Batman is far less of an ******* to Superman in this one. Superman acts stronger and the characters like his daughter Lara and her Mom, get their own time allotted in the story to have some of their own voice. A lot of this is courtesy of Azzarello co-writing this and promising to treat Superman with more respect. So far Superman when encountering Batman has put Batman in his place, and Superman actually has some technological brains, as a recent part shows. This is definitely far less harsh to Superman than the previous two Dark Knight stories were.

IMO, this is the best Dark Knight Superman yet.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 08-23-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Batman is far less of an ******* to Superman in this one. Superman acts stronger and the characters like his daughter Lara and her Mom, get their own time allotted in the story to have some of their own voice. A lot of this is courtesy of Azzarello co-writing this and promising to treat Superman with more respect. So far Superman when encountering Batman has put Batman in his place, and Superman actually has some technological brains, as a recent part shows. This is definitely far less harsh to Superman than the previous two Dark Knight stories were.

Wow, that is the first time I've heard anything remotely positive about Superman in the DKR universe. May have to pick this up as a tpb if that characterization holds up all the way through.

Superman acts stronger and the characters like his daughter Lara and her Mom, get their own time allotted in the story to have some of their own voice. A lot of this is courtesy of Azzarello co-writing this and promising to treat Superman with more respect.

Yes... He show respect for Superman... Is a Superman of the Old School..

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wow, that is the first time I've heard anything remotely positive about Superman in the DKR universe. May have to pick this up as a tpb if that characterization holds up all the way through.
    Well, you can message me if you want me to review it by the end. Because I am going for this to the finish. I am all for seeing how The Dark Knight ends.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He's certainly portrayed a lot better here than he is in other incarnations Miller has done. I think Azzarello reining in some of Miller's worst instincts works here. I'm actually liking this one which is more than I can say for the other DKR sequels. He comes across as more Superman like. Tough but not wanting to hurt people.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Well, you can message me if you want me to review it by the end. Because I am going for this to the finish. I am all for seeing how The Dark Knight ends.
    Count me in as well, I will be asking similarly when the series reaches completion.

I just wish DC was not pushing the dates forward. A good showing for SM in a Bat centric story and we get so many delays. ugg.

He broke out of a dark matter universe out of sheer will and grit. That was pretty awesome.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

DKIII reads more like a Superman/Batman team up and an apology for Superman treatment in the previous DKR installment.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DKIII reads more like a Superman/Batman team up and an apology for Superman treatment in the previous DKR installment.

Hey Superman, sorry I was such an ******* to you. Sorry I hate you and want to kill you for obnoxiously causing Earthquakes that put the TV Show Smallville to shame. Sorry I insulted you about the woman you got blocked from getting by the DC Captain America in Crime Alley. But you know what, you can choose to be the guy that Martha would be proud of, or you can sit here on ice while your daughter and the world go down the drain. I can't believe that I, the G-D Batman, just said this!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Hey Superman, sorry I was such an ******* to you. Sorry I hate you and want to kill you for obnoxiously causing Earthquakes that put the TV Show Smallville to shame. Sorry I insulted you about the woman you got blocked from getting by the DC Captain America in Crime Alley. But you know what, you can choose to be the guy that Martha would be proud of, or you can sit here on ice while your daughter and the world go down the drain. I can't believe that I, the G-D Batman, just said this!
    Thanks for the 30-years-late apologies, Miller!

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I see what you did there!

Very funny!

So I guess they have a new motive for treating Superman well... They might want to make another Superman in another universe by expanding the Dark Knight Universe and making spinoffs.

http://www.popoptiq.com/the-dark-knight-3-panel-recap/

I am guessing that the top priorities are Carrie and Bruce, but it's possible that the Dark Knight Superman might also get his own spinoff too. Time will tell.