Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best remakes

I guess it would be more of a reboot but I just bought me a Dredd and while it's kind of video gamey plot wise, I loved it, glad I bought it and I don't purchase many blu-ray's at all. I guess I'm part of the camp that skipped it because in part the burn of the Stallone 'film' from 20+ years ago was still there.

Studio's are to blame for when a lot of these type properties fail, an approach to a live action adaptation has to be pretty spot on and clear and I thought Dredd was just that. Also seems that the overwhelming majority of the fans really dug it, sucks that a sequel seems such a longshot but were getting sequels of shit nobody really asked for.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Feel the same way about the Cronenberg version of "The Fly" vs. the '58 original.
    Ugh, I can't believe I forgot about The Fly! Remake or not, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I remember reading Vincent Price's reaction. He liked the build up and tension up until the gross gorey stuff started to happen, but that's really the last fourth of the movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I guess it would be more of a reboot but I just bought me a Dredd and while it's kind of video gamey plot wise, I loved it, glad I bought it and I don't purchase many blu-ray's at all. I guess I'm part of the camp that skipped it because in part the burn of the Stallone 'film' from 20+ years ago was still there.

Studio's are to blame for when a lot of these type properties fail, an approach to a live action adaptation has to be pretty spot on and clear and I thought Dredd was just that. Also seems that the overwhelming majority of the fans really dug it, sucks that a sequel seems such a longshot but were getting sequels of shit nobody really asked for.
    The problem with Dredd wasnt that it wasnt that fans didnt like it. The problem was no one else did. It literally made 13 million in domestic box office. Which in all honesty you cant get much lower than that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The Joker already announced his crimes via radio when he had his very first appearance in 1940. Its always been his stick. TDK plays a lot like TheLongHalloween Mini/Graphic Novel and mixes some TheKillingJoke in (always a different origin, Vicki's apartement/Bruce's penthouse), just like Burton mixed TheKillingJoke in. Otherwise you're right and there are some hommages to Burton (but not a straight-up remake)
    The Dark Knight does take stuff from The Killing Joke and Year One, it even takes stuff from other movies that have nothing to do with Batman, but it also takes a lot from Burton's Batman movie. The Dark Knight reworks so much from Burton's Batman that it's basically a remake of the movie. You bring up the radio, but the similarities of Joker showing up on tv in both Batman and The Dark Knight goes beyond him using a form of media to get a message out. Beside like, The Killing Joke like interrogation scene in The Dark Knight, the bank robbery scene which recalls a number of robbery scenes, (the clown mask being there probably had more to do with The Killing than the '60s Batman show) and the RoboCop/Darkmanish chase scene Joker is involved in, you could probably trace every Joker scene in The Dark Knight to something in Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    By Mad Love, do you mean Fou d'amour? Is there any version of Beauty and the Beast that's actually a remake of a previous one beside the as of right now unreleased upcoming Disney movie? Are you saying Disney's '90s live-action Jungle Book is one of the best remakes? Is the '60s Mutiny on the Bounty a remake of the '30s one? Even if it is, it's not a good movie anyways. Which of The Last of the Mohicans is a remake, and which one is it a remake of?

Since Outland is there I guess you're kind of playing fast and loose with what a remake is.
    Obviously I'm going to need to post quite a few times to get all the media in here

Jungle Book 1942

Mad Love/Hands of Orlac
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jean Cocteau did a very good version of Bueaty and the Beast in the 1940's

They started making Last of the Mohican movies, as far back as the silent age, the Michael Mann was though is my favorite.

And the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen,

BANNED

Mutiny on the Bounty ain't so good looking to make up for how boring it is. And is that movie a remake of the previous one, or just a new version of Muntiny on the Bounty?

I know they've made a few different versions of The Last of the Mohicans. I've seen a number of them, but the ones I've seen didn't really seem like the Mann version was a remake of any of them.

Is Mad Love a remake of Hands of Orlac, or are they just two movies based on the same book? It seems like you're just naming stuff based on the same source material more than actually naming remakes.

The Dark Knight does take stuff from The Killing Joke and Year One, it even takes stuff from other movies that have nothing to do with Batman, but it also takes a lot from Burton's Batman movie. The Dark Knight reworks so much from Burton's Batman that it's basically a remake of the movie.
    I take it you can describe the scene in The Dark Knight where Batman confronts The Joker who killed his parents?

BANNED

I take it you can describe the scene in The Dark Knight where Batman confronts The Joker who killed his parents?
    That doesn't matter, I didn't say The Dark Knight was a shot for shot remake that doesn't change or drop anything from Batman. Batman also confronted the joker that killed his parents in the previous movie, it would be weird if that happened again.

Astonishing Member

Disney's 2015 Cinderella. Unlike the 1950 version, it was actually about the character of Cinderella as well as gave the Prince some nice character. The 1950 version spent most of its time on the mice and the cat.

Granted, that doesn't mean it's the best movie based on Perrault's "Cinderella" and there have been more than a few. The Slipper and the Rose is better paced. Also, Ever After has stronger character work.

That doesn't matter, I didn't say The Dark Knight was a shot for shot remake that doesn't change or drop anything from Batman. Batman also confronted the joker that killed his parents in the previous movie, it would be weird if that happened again.
    That it the characters and plot are fundamentally different doesn't matter in a thread where we are discussing remakes?

BANNED

That it the characters and plot are fundamentally different doesn't matter in a thread where we are discussing remakes?
    Not when they aren't really that fundamentally different, and when the Batman movie in question is reworking a great many scenes from a Batman movie that came before it. A remake can change characters, a bring out themes from the past work that are already there. The Fly and The Thing both do this, they're also two of the best remakes ever made.

The Fly and The Thing both do this, they're also two of the best remakes ever made.
    From the man himself...

That's before you even factor in what Kurt Russell has said.

I've also never seen anything Cronenberg has said that points to him feeling that his film is a remake.