Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suicide Squad #1 Spoilers

So this is the new volume of Suicide Squad
    We had Suicide Squad rebirth showing us where the team stands here's the official book.

spoilers:

It begins with Amanda Waller giving narration arriving at Belle Reve
    where she meets Rick Flag and Katana and asks them to give her a five strong team this time.
    The criminals are retrieved and its Killer Croc, June Moon, Deadshot, Harley Quinn and Captain Boomerang
    Waller gives them their mission steal something on foreign soil and they all react accordingly
    They go over the mission objectives in space and explain why a land or sea approach is not possible
    The squad begins to drop in atmosphere Killer Croc gets sick and begins vomiting in his suit causing him to choke
    Rick Flag moves to save him causing their ship to veer off course and crash
    The issue ends with them hitting the icy water.

Now the backup begins
    Its about Deadshot
    Amanda Waller is doing a psych eval on him and going over how he ended up in jail.
    Kobra has compels Deadshot to kill Bruce Wayne they have his daughter as collateral. He agrees to the mission but tips off Batman about what's going on
    They work together to free Zoe but Deadshot kills the main Kobra bad guy in front of his daughter and also earns the ire of Batman who takes him to jail.

end of spoilers

I have to say this book was alot better than I expected
    Jim Lee isn't doing that much of the art hence why we have a backup
    The team is really aping the movie dynamic and it works since all the characters have their nice moments here and there.
    Deadshot's backup was slightly better than the main issue because of the art imo
    but otherwise solid first issue

BANNED

If you're going to make Deadshot's origin similar to the movie, at least have the decency to bring the pimp hat to the comics as well!

how about one step further and actually make him black? was it really so hard to do? it's not like dc has a whole lot of existing black characters to spotlight at the moment.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was pretty average for the most part. The characterization and story are all right but they don't really impress, the dialogue remains problematic and it was lacking in content.

I really diislike the format. Or should I say the way it was handled? It felt like the main story was cut in half, which it probably was once they realized Lee couldn't finish 20 pages in time (duh).
    It could have worked. LoSH often did similar formats in the past, but here it really bugged me.
    I don't think we got to see enough of the cast and some of the voices felt off. The ones that talked. Katana was mute during the entire thing :/

Amazing Member

Okay but while I loved this book, I hate Amanda Waller more then ever now, and will never stop.

Enchantress is a villain, yeah okay I guess, but June is just an innocent girl! It's fucked up to keep her locked in a tiny fucking box 24 hours a day and put a damn bomb in her neck based on literally someone else's actions. Let's just say, if they don't change things there to more similar to the movie where June ISN'T locked in a tiny metal cube, then I honestly might drop the book.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
    Okay but while I loved this book, I hate Amanda Waller more then ever now, and will never stop.

Enchantress is a villain, yeah okay I guess, but June is just an innocent girl! It's fucked up to keep her locked in a tiny fucking box 24 hours a day and put a damn bomb in her neck based on literally someone else's actions. Let's just say, if they don't change things there to more similar to the movie where June ISN'T locked in a tiny metal cube, then I honestly might drop the book.
    Wow...lol.

i have to admit that i was a bit disappointed by this issue. It's hard to judge it because it's just an half-issue in the end and not much really happens in it. But for what i've read i found the dialogues a bit too 'unreal', just to try to mimic the personalities that the characters have in the movie, more than to try to create real dialogues of real persons :P

and also the Deadshot mini was a bit disappointing as i think it was not so original :P Also, i have to admit that after seen the movie (and all the images\memes\poster around about it) i find it weird to see Deadshot as a white man

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Wow...lol.
    it's a fair point. poor june is an innocent here

BANNED

I thought it was a good #1 issue, better than the Rebirth one-shot and that this book will be fun.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    If you're going to make Deadshot's origin similar to the movie, at least have the decency to bring the pimp hat to the comics as well!
    How did the comic make it similar to the movie? Movie Deadshot never really got an origin that I saw. Deadshot's always been from a messed up family, Zoe was introduced into canon before Infinite Crisis, etc. And Batman arrested Deadshot back in the freakin' 80s

Its kinda hard to complain about movie synergy with deadshot just having him be arrested by Batman is on par with comics before the movie.

I hope Katana has more to say next issue she was very quiet this issue and in the background

i hope they change up this lineup soon. i know they're trying to play off the movie but one of the interesting things about Ostrander's run was that they were actually D list villains who could die in any issue. now that Captain Boomerang and Deadshot are popular there's no way they'll get killed. i guess that's a concept that won't play any more now that DC is pushing the hell out of the Squad. they need them to be bigger name recognizable villains.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i hope they change up this lineup soon. i know they're trying to play off the movie but one of the interesting things about Ostrander's run was that they were actually D list villains who could die in any issue. now that Captain Boomerang and Deadshot are popular there's no way they'll get killed. i guess that's a concept that won't play any more now that DC is pushing the hell out of the Squad. they need them to be bigger name recognizable villains.
    Deadshot and Boomerbutt made their bones in Suicide Squad. DC really oughta try to push some other 3rd string villains alongside them, since they can't kill them now.

This was rather mediocre. There were too many characters to introduce and establish team dynamics for in this 13 page format. And Jim Lee's art here isn't the draw it used to be.