Super Moderator

Default PREVIEWS: "Gold Key," "Xena" & More Dynamite Comics On Sale August 17, 2016

Dr. Spektor lures the Gold Key characters into a strange dimension, Xena becomes Rome's greatest enemy, and more!

Full article here.

Incredible Member

That Xena interior art - yikes! I guess it has a degree of appeal in a nice water colour kind of way, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for comic books.

Also, Xena's costume seems to continue to be bizarrely changed. It looks like a mash-up of her original "evil" armour from Hercules, especially the breastplate, and her iconic costume. I've given up expecting any consistency in how the chakram is drawn, even though it should ALWAYS be the second, ying-yang chakram given the time period for the story.

For this particular comic, I think I like this watercolory, sketchy look better, though, as impressionistic as it was. The characters (including Xena) came through as more rough-edged and authentic, and Gabrielle was more like her 5th/6th season personality. While I don't like the whole "Rome=Evil, FreedomFighters=good" angle (the show focused everything on character conflicts, not national movements), Augustus was handled well in this issue, and did a good job of channelling the actor who played him on the series. My biggest complaint with this particular issue was too many people just standing around--there needs to be more Marvel-style staging (as was done on the show). Plus, there was a quick interrogation, which was a perfect moment for the Xena pinch: why didn't she use it?

--Rich