Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really enjoyed this, though it didn't have quite the punch of the last one where Diana showed such compassion for Barbara. Steve was awesome, and I'm a huge Sasha fan, so that was cool (though man, can she get a break from being part of some cyborg villain plots sometime? . I do wish Rucka had been a bit less obvious about the "toxic masculinity" thing - it's a bit too buzzwordy - I feel even if he'd just said "poisonous" it would have felt less "oooh, I'm so hip and with the current discourse" and more "this is a universal human problem" (which it is). But I agreed with the point (as far as I understand it), and really enjoyed Diana showing up at the end.
    I agree Steve was awesome. I had not encountered the phrase 'toxic masculinity' before [but I googled it after some of the comments here] so it didnt bother me .

What I really enjoyed was seeing, for the first time in far too few times over the last few decades, a positive male figure like Steve calling a nut job like Cadulo on his crap. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman alongside a regular male cast member who shows guys in a positive light. (Without a book with the name Wonder Woman in the title being used as an extra title for that characters own story arcs)

Also good to see Urzkataga 'fleshed out'. For an idea thats been around now for 3 decades, the plant god has always been rather vague. Ruka's take on the concept is proving very interesting.

Overall another great issue.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

This series is seriously slow paced, but I'm still enjoying it.
    Last edited by Rise; 08-27-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Here's some speculation that it's OMAC http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-5-in...r-to-the-cast/

Quite okay issue nonetheless. Stuff happens. Some bad dialogue. Liam Sharp draws some really good art. Fun to see where it's heading.

Anyone know why issue #6 is due in "three weeks" instead of two? Are they behind schedule already?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Anyone know why issue #6 is due in "three weeks" instead of two? Are they behind schedule already?
    It's a second and fourth week book, and this month has a fifth week.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's a second and fourth week book, and this month has a fifth week.
    Oh, I see! Thx
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Here's some speculation that it's OMAC http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-5-in...r-to-the-cast/

Quite okay issue nonetheless. Stuff happens. Some bad dialogue. Liam Sharp draws some really good art. Fun to see where it's heading.
    The speculator would be advised to read the issue more carefully. Sasha specifically says Doctor while talking to the voice,besides,Brother Eye has it's own font and it's own unique manner of speaking. That's not Brother Eye or an O.M.A.C by extension.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    The speculator would be advised to read the issue more carefully. Sasha specifically says Doctor while talking to the voice,besides,Brother Eye has it's own font and it's own unique manner of speaking. That's not Brother Eye or an O.M.A.C by extension.
    There's also that upcoming Liam Sharp cover to think about.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Certainly. Not only as you say with Doctor, not to mention BE's speech pattern as well as red eye symbol.

But I think there could be something to it. Bit of a callback to the OMAC story, but with Dr Cyber instead.
    Last edited by borntohula; 08-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post

The link is dead, but OMAC or Brother Eye would also make sense, given its history with Diana.

Of course it could be both those AND Cyber. Dr Cyber never appeared in volume 2 or 3, so tying her with OMAC could be her new origin story.

By the way, I noticed that at least two of the pics in the memory montage were from Gail Simone's Circle Story. The pic of Ares seemed to be from Volume 2's first story - I'm guessing the pic of Diana getting blasted goes back to that story as well. The link seems to be that both those stories included a story about Diana's own birth.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Spectacular Member

Cadulo finds a picture of WW, then he believes Steve was chosen by the gods, then he decides Steve should be the vessle, why?
    Are the gods Greek gods? Urzkartaga has connections with them?

"Urzkartaga was attended by women drawn to his potency. Those who were unfaithful were cursed. Those who were true were rewarded."
    means women attacted by Urzkartaga's sex ability? or am i misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree Steve was awesome. I had not encountered the phrase 'toxic masculinity' before [but I googled it after some of the comments here] so it didnt bother me .

What I really enjoyed was seeing, for the first time in far too few times over the last few decades, a positive male figure like Steve calling a nut job like Cadulo on his crap. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman alongside a regular male cast member who shows guys in a positive light. (Without a book with the name Wonder Woman in the title being used as an extra title for that characters own story arcs)

Also good to see Urzkataga 'fleshed out'. For an idea thats been around now for 3 decades, the plant god has always been rather vague. Ruka's take on the concept is proving very interesting.

Overall another great issue.
    I took the "toxic masculinity" line as a bit of a nod to Marston's quote about why he created WW in the first place "comics' worst offense was their blood-curdling masculinity."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I took the "toxic masculinity" line as a bit of a nod to Marston's quote about why he created WW in the first place "comics' worst offense was their blood-curdling masculinity."
    It could well be. But the phrase "toxic masculinity" is a fairly recent term which is supposed to describe the negative effects of certain ideas about how men should behave.

Personally I find the term pretty on the nose, since there can be a strong implication that masculinity itself in innately toxic. Rucka neatly sidesteps that issue here with the way Steve speaks, but I think warped or perverted masculinity would have been a better qualifier. That would make it clear that the issue is around an idea of what masculinity is, not the state of being male inherently.

The women being drawn to The plant gods potency seems to be a sexual reference but also to the concept that maleness is an active, empowering state while femininity is naturally passive and drawn to the more dynamic energy of the male. At the same time, "impure" women are reduced to a bestial level, unable to control their animalistic urges.

There are some strong parallels there with the argument that, for a long time anyway, women in comics who attained significant power always ended up losing control of it. Examples would be Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey in the original Phoenix Saga, or Raven from Teen Titans.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-09-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It could well be. But the phrase "toxic masculinity" is a fairly recent term which is supposed to describe the negative effects of certain ideas about how men should behave.

Personally I find the term pretty on the nose, since there can be a strong implication that masculinity itself in innately toxic. Rucka neatly sidesteps that issue here with the way Steve speaks, but I think warped or perverted masculinity would have been a better qualifier. That would make it clear that the issue is around an idea of what masculinity is, not the state of being male inherently.

The women being drawn to The plant gods potency seems to be a sexual reference but also to the concept that maleness is an active, empowering state while femininity is naturally passive and drawn to the more dynamic energy of the male. At the same time, "impure" women are reduced to a bestial level, unable to control their animalistic urges.

There are some strong parallels there with the argument that, for a long time anyway, women in comics who attained significant power always ended up losing control of it. Examples would be Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey in the original Phoenix Saga, or Raven from Teen Titans.
    I suppose I see what Marston was getting at in his comment and what he did with WW back then as quite similar to the concept you're describing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I suppose I see what Marston was getting at in his comment and what he did with WW back then as quite similar to the concept you're describing
    I also enjoy how, like Marston, Rucka uses Steve as a natural counter point to the more perfidious concept of masculinity that Cadulo is espousing. The warlord sees the photo of Diana and naturally assumes that Steve has it because he wants to possess her. Steve points out that is not the way his feelings towards Diana run at all.

There's an interesting contrast to be made with the recent Superman Wonder Woman series. Not with the way Superman acted in the stories, but rather with the way the series overall was constructed, with the creative teams giving Superman are more and more dominant role in the storytelling to the point where Wonder Woman felt like the regular guest star in an extra Superman title.

On the other hand, years ago Ruckawas writing both the Superman and Wonder Woman titles and while I disagreed with some of his creative choices I generally felt he gave equal gravitas to both characters where there stories crossed over.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-09-2016 at 02:40 PM.