Fantastic Member

Default With The Return of The Shade, Can the JSA Be Far Behind?

Hi all!

I want to start this post out by just stating how much I'm enjoying DC's Rebirth titles. I was a lapsed DC fan who left with the advent of the New 52 and am excited to be buying from my favorite company again (The Flash, Titans, Batman, Superman, Action Comics and JLA are currently my must-reads).

Many long-time posters on this site will recognize me as a HUGE fan of the Justice Society of America and DC's Golden Age assorted heroes. So it was with great interest that I read the company's solicitations for the upcoming issues of Flash that feature a very prominent character from their storied past, The Shade! My hope is that along with telling a great story, Williamson will stay pretty close to the James Robinson version of this character and perhaps use him as a stepping stone to reintroducing the JSA. This makes sense to me, as it was the Silver Age iteration of this title that not only was the Golden Age Flash brought back, but also the legendary JSA (some people forget the team actually were brought back in The Flash title before the classic JLA 21-22). Anyone else think that we're just a couple of short months away from a JSA revival?

I hope as well that he's like he was originally... Will be interesting to see how he's introduced... If he comes from a parallel world, then I think we can get excited about an imminent return of the JSA .. And the classic one at that.
    And as much as I'd like to see this, I'm guessing he won't be from another earth and we will likely be waiting a while longer for the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    With The Return of The Shade, Can the JSA Be Far Behind?
    Not necessarily . . . one does not have to lead to the other (especially when it comes to the New52/DCYou/Rebirth cluster-DC).

Anyone else think that we're just a couple of short months away from a JSA revival?
    I sort of doubt it . . . I don't want to get my hopes up, especially since there's no guarantee that DC won't f#@& this up.
    One can hope, but one should also be prepared for possible (likely?) disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    I hope as well that he's like he was originally... Will be interesting to see how he's introduced... If he comes from a parallel world, then I think we can get excited about an imminent return of the JSA .. And the classic one at that.
    And as much as I'd like to see this, I'm guessing he won't be from another earth and we will likely be waiting a while longer for the JSA.
    Except this will not be an introduction, he was around when new 52 started. In fact the new 52 version of Deathstroke cut his head off in the first issue of The Shade mini series
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Except this will not be an introduction, he was around when new 52 started. In fact the new 52 version of Deathstroke cut his head off in the first issue of The Shade mini series
    Didn't read it so not up on his recent past... So yeah it's highly unlikely this is going to lead into the JSA coming back.
    Be a good way of doing it though if they did want to... A different Shade from a parallel earth etc etc

BANNED

I had the notion that they might play the Shade like he was when the Golden Age was in continuity....playing the villain to match wits with Barry.

Astonishing Member

My first thought was DEFINITELY that you don't bring Shade back with an interest in Barry and Wally Two without getting Mainstream Jay Garrick in the mix.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

i had the same thought when Solomon Grundy and Psycho-Pirate returned in Batman.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They did have Johnny Thunder in the Rebirth special so you know they have something planned.

Astonishing Member

won't there be the issue that the JSA's return might well be heavily influenced by Johns' run (lots of legacies), the CWverse (so Jay as some form of uncle/great uncle to Barry, Vixen's grandma etc), salvageable elements of E2, and possibly synergy placing WW as the first superhero; to say nothing of the great rivalry (DC: oh, you want to play the legacy game Marvel?)

Almost two years late, and we're still waiting . . . unless it suddenly happens in Doomsday Cluck #6 due out on Wednesday.