Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Leftovers - HBO Series

Hiya, starting this thread for anyone who wants to discuss HBOs' recently begun drama, The Leftovers.

Based on a book by Tom Perrota, who also Executive Produces the series with Damon Lindelof, the man who also did the same, and much more, for the drama Lost.

It's premise is basically wherein 2% of the planets' population have mysteriously, suddenly, disappeared, in an event some aren't sure what to think about, while a number, whether in this cult type group, known as Guilty Remnant, or not, believe it was the Rapture. And, essentially, it follows those who are left behind, hence the title.

The first episode aired last night, on HBO, and, though it seemed to drag for a fair bit early on - let's say, about quarter of an hour, but less than the first twenty minutes - and get a bit over the top at times, in some small, or large, ways, I after a while found it to be a fairly good episode, and worth watching.

Was worried it'd be too like Under the Dome, from back when I watched that, and how easy to hate a lot of the characters were, a lot of hard to understand motivations, and stuff like that. But, really, though at times a little similar, it has some nice music, a few emotional moments, some interesting story strands.

Wasn't sure about it to start with, but glad I gave it a go, despite some early temptations to quit it.

Stars Justin Theroux, as Kevin Garvey, a man trying to hold on to some normalcy.

Amy Brenneman, as Laurie Garvey, who embraces a whole new life, far and near.

Carrie Coon, as Nora Durst, a woman who was once a wife and Mother, is suddenly neither.

And, much more, including Chris 'Flash Thompson' Zylka, Christopher 'Ninth Doctor' Eccleston, Liv 'Arwen' Tyler and many more.

Give it a spin, if you haven't already, and if you have, be sure to come talk about it.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The basic premise is interesting and seems familiar. I can't place exactly where I've seen it done before though. There are a lot of interesting plot strings. I'm really curious about the cult leader the mayor met with which seems different than the group dressed in white who seem to have taken a vow of silence. The thing about the dogs disappearing was even interesting. The scene where the stray dogs attack that deer was pretty crazy. It was nice to see Christopher Eccleston show up out of no where. Anyone have any theories on what actually happened?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

it doesn't matter what happened it's all about the people.....

the pilot was all right but I caught my self zoning out. I'll give the second episode a try as I hear its better.

I'm kind of fascinated by The Guilty Remnant. It's a decent enough show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The basic premise is interesting and seems familiar. I can't place exactly where I've seen it done before though. There are a lot of interesting plot strings. I'm really curious about the cult leader the mayor met with which seems different than the group dressed in white who seem to have taken a vow of silence. The thing about the dogs disappearing was even interesting. The scene where the stray dogs attack that deer was pretty crazy. It was nice to see Christopher Eccleston show up out of no where. Anyone have any theories on what actually happened?
    Read the bible - the rapture. It's a more serious take on the topic than Seth Rogan "This is the end".

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post

the pilot was all right but I caught my self zoning out. I'll give the second episode a try as I hear its better.
    I'm glad to hear that. As I said above, I at times considered quitting, but kept on with it, despite how dragging the premiere really was, and was glad I did, for the most part. Surprisingly very little sex for a HBO show as well, in comparison to the first three True Blood episodes I've watched so far. Will likely check it out, come the next episode.

How do you hear Episode Two'd better?

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    There's definitely enough going on that I probably wouldn't feel cheated if we never find out what exactly happened to those abducted people.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Read the bible - the rapture.
    Yeah they speculated as much in the episode.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    It's kind of like a reverse 4400 to me. In that the people disappear, but this time they don't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I'm glad to hear that. As I said above, I at times considered quitting, but kept on with it, despite how dragging the premiere really was, and was glad I did, for the most part. Surprisingly very little sex for a HBO show as well, in comparison to the first three True Blood episodes I've watched so far. Will likely check it out, come the next episode.

How do you hear Episode Two'd better?
    aint it cool review.

I think we're being led to believe that it wasn't necessarily the biblical rapture, I mean, Gary Busey lol?

Quote Originally Posted by longshot3 View Post
    I think we're being led to believe that it wasn't necessarily the biblical rapture, I mean, Gary Busey lol?
    Yeah. The Pope I understand, but Gary fuckin' Busey?

Yeah, it couly be any amount of things. Angels, aliens, Government conspiracy, something else. Who knows for sure?

A lot, at least, seem to believe it's the Rapture, and I actually thought it was was going in, but either way, we could, as some say, find out, or, as others might, that the focus and importance is more on the people left over, really.

From what I've read about the books spoilers:
    the author never reveals what actually happens to the abducted people and the show runners don't plan to either.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    It's kind of like a reverse 4400 to me. In that the people disappear, but this time they don't come back.
    I haven't watched it but that might be what I'm thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Yeah. The Pope I understand, but Gary fuckin' Busey?
    That was hysterical!

Yeah, it couly be any amount of things. Angels, aliens, Government conspiracy, something else. Who knows for sure?
    I'm surprised we didn't see any characters suggest alien abduction but we still might.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

I enjoyed it for the most part, although parts were rather dull. The girl that plays Kevin's daughter was exceptional, want to see more of her in the future.
    Didn't like the large amount of dog killing though, that sort of stuff usually puts me off.

BANNED

This isn't the only show with a similiar theme of vanishing population, upcoming movie "Left Behind" explores the same theme.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    This isn't the only show with a similiar theme of vanishing population, upcoming movie "Left Behind" explores the same theme.
    I don't understand how it's an upcoming movie, when the trailer says 2013 there, but, yeah, that does sound like a similar premise. I wonder is the execution similar too, in of how it affects the characters left behind, as the title goes, or is it more about the mystery of the disappearance?