Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Minority Report! Diversity in the DCU!!

ETHNIC & RACIAL DIVERSITY

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Amazons Attack!
    Blue Beetle
    City Boy (Mini)
    Cyborg (Mini)
    Fire & Ice (Mini)
    Green Lantern: War Journal
    Hawkgirl (Mini)
    Speed Force (Mini)
    Spirit World (Mini)
    Steelworks (Mini)

TEAM BOOKS
    JSA: Dr Mid-Nite (Beth), Jakeem Thunder, Wildcat (Yolanda)
    Titans: Cyborg
    Teen Titans: Bumblebee, Guardian (Mal)
    Birds of Prey: Batgirl (Cassandra)
    The Outsiders: Batwing (Luke)
    Doom Patrol: Crazy Jane
    WILDCATS: Deathblow, Voodoo
    The Vigil: Arclight, Dodge, Saya

GENDER EQUALITY

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Amazons Attack!
    Catwoman
    Fire & Ice (Mini)
    Harley Quinn
    Poison Ivy
    Power Girl
    Speed Force (Mini)
    Wonder Woman

TEAM BOOKS
    JSA: Dr Mid-Nite (Beth), Huntress (Helena), Stargirl, Wildcat (Yolanda)
    Titans: Donna Troy, Raven, Starfire
    Teen Titans: Bumblebee, Donna Troy
    Birds of Prey : Batgirl (Cassandra), Big Barda, Black Canary, Harley Quinn, Zealot
    The Outsiders: Batwoman
    Doom Patrol: Beast Girl, Crazy Jane, Elasti-Woman
    WILDCATS: Caitlyn Fairchild, Ladytron, Voodoo, Zealot
    The Vigil: Dodge

LGBT REPRESENTATION

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Alan Scott: The Green Lantern
    Amazons Attack!
    Harley Quinn
    Poison Ivy
    Spirit World (Mini)

TEAM BOOKS
    Birds of Prey: Harley Quinn
    The Outsiders: Batwoman
    The Vigil: Saya

This thread is dedicated to a CIVIL DEBATE(!) about diversity and minority topics in the DC Universe and any bit of DC related media. Comics, cartoons, tv shows, video games, and live action!! What DC is doing right and what more can be done to improve this area. Come in with an open mind and respect sensible opinions!

I realize there is a New 52 version of this thread but since DC has gone through a rebirth I figured it's time for broader thread to be created. We'll discuss the DCEU, the DCAU, the CW verse, the Injustice universe but the emphasis will be on the source material aka comics. Do you think DC is doing a great job? Or is your opinion of the opposite? Discuss!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 09-18-2023 at 02:52 AM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Asian DC Character's Appreciation!!

http://community.comicbookresources....ans-of-the-DCU

Black DC Character's Appreciation!!!

http://community.comicbookresources....ans-of-the-DCU

Hispanic/Latino DC Character's Appreciation!!!

http://community.comicbookresources....nos-of-the-DCU

Indigenous American DC Character's Appreciation!!!

http://community.comicbookresources....ers-In-The-DCU

LGBT DC Character's Appreciation!!

http://community.comicbookresources....T-Appreciation

Women of DC Appreciation!!

http://community.comicbookresources....ciation-Thread

Please visit and add you voice to the discussions above!! Vote for your favorite characters as well and discuss DC's treatment of said characters. Post pictures and share memories of how you were first introduced to certain characters in the threads above!! But above all, show some appreciation!!

Last edited by El_Gato; 03-24-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Amazing Member

Cool thread. BTW, I know it hasn't started yet, but should Damian Wayne be on the list? He's at least 1/4 Arabic. He'll be in Super Sons and Teen Titans. Also, Helena Bertenelli is a dark skinned Sicilian, not sure exactly how that fits for race. Also, the new Rucka run STRONGLY hints that Diana is bisexual.

I do want to say that I've always preferred DC's take on diversity over Mervel's in that they rarely seem to chase headlines, and just let the characters be what they are.
    Last edited by bishopcruz; 08-25-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Cool thread. BTW, I know it hasn't started yet, but should Damian Wayne be on the list? He's at least 1/4 Arabic. He'll be in Super Sons and Teen Titans. Also, Helena Bertenelli is a dark skinned Sicilian, not sure exactly how that fits for race.
    It's getting pretty sad when we're counting kids whose paternal grandfather was probably middle-eastern as a minority or someone of Sicilian/Calabrese origin as well.

Anywho 1 thumb down to DC for letting us down with Ryan Choi's All New Atom but 3 big thumbs up for Omac, Xombi and New Super-Man. All 3 titles given top flight talent. Let's hope New Super-Man sticks and that the other 3 return.

Seriously can't believe Vixen and Vibe aren't currently in titles. DC could use at least one more team book to get more of their underused characters out there in monthlies.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    It's getting pretty sad when we're counting kids whose paternal grandfather was probably middle-eastern as a minority or someone of Sicilian/Calabrese origin as well.

Anywho 1 thumb down to DC for letting us down with Ryan Choi's All New Atom but 3 big thumbs up for Omac, Xombi and New Super-Man. All 3 titles given top flight talent. Let's hope New Super-Man sticks and that the other 3 return.
    Did I miss something about Ryan Choi in Rebirth? ANA was one of my favorite DC runs of all time, especially the Gail Simone bits. Also, I'd like to see some more depictions of working class / poor superheroes taken seriously.
    Last edited by Prisoner 6655321; 08-26-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Technically, Superman should be in this list, at racial/ethnical diversity.

Now, serious, nice list. Some may want to include Wonder Woman at LGBT, but I think in her case, her days in Themyscira are more like a lack of option.
    Someday, the "Yellow Bat" Duke Thomas could be added to the list, if not for the detail that, so far, nobody likes him.
    And Apollo & Midnighter will not be a regular book? The reader in me is sad, but my wallet is grateful.

Extraordinary Member

You forgot to include Gotham Academy in your list.

Hopefully those folks who are missing on this list will make an appearance really soon. I hope.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm fine with diversity in the DCU it's just a mirror of what the real world is.
    What i can't accept is changing race or history of old characters, what DC tried doing with Wally West was a mistake and they understood.
    I have te same doubt about the forthcoming Justice League movie for The Falsh and Aquaman. It would be the same if Batman was redheaded or Cyborg latino.
    Race should not be a considerable parameter at all, and most of all a character can't be radically changed only for sake of diversity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Seriously can't believe Vixen and Vibe aren't currently in titles. DC could use at least one more team book to get more of their underused characters out there in monthlies.
    Vixen was on the Rebirth splash page with a few other characters who haven't appeared yet, so she's pretty much confirmed to be in a wave 2 book. Probably JLA, or Justice League Dark because she's magic based. Either way she'll be on a team.

Not sure about Vibe, a lot of readers don't take him seriously in the comics because of his embarrassing early appearances. So he's less guaranteed to show up even though he's better now.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post

Well, aren't they? Ra's has always been middle eastern, and Talia's mother is of mixed Chinese/Arab descent. Bruce Wayne is white as hell. That MAKES Damian a minority. The bigger issue is that like Rayner, he is rarely treated as one. Damian is mixed race. I have friends that are mixed? Do they not count?

As for Helena:

Sicilians, especially dark skinned ones, have a history of being treated poorly by main land Italians. Also, when emigrating to the United States, Sicilians were considered black and if they were in the south they were affected by Jim Crow laws. So yeah, a dark skinned Sicilian should definitely count.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    You forgot to include Gotham Academy in your list.
    Yeah, GA is good for the list. Isn't Earth 2 going to be continuing as well? I haven't followed it, but IIRC Hawkgirl and Dr. Fate should both count no?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Well, aren't they? Ra's has always been middle eastern, and Talia's mother is of mixed Chinese/Arab descent. Bruce Wayne is white as hell. That MAKES Damian a minority. The bigger issue is that like Rayner, he is rarely treated as one. Damian is mixed race. I have friends that are mixed? Do they not count?
    With this mix it wouldn't be completely impossible that he looks white. And Talia's mom looked actually quite white in one of her appearances in batman Inc.

with the exception of cyborg there is ZERO black men or women headlining a rebirth book. to me, this is unacceptable.

vixen, bronze tiger, batwing, duke, black lightening, black spider, amazing man, steel, doctor mist. these are all valid properties and some of them should have a chance to shine. this is the perfect opportunity to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Vixen was on the Rebirth splash page with a few other characters who haven't appeared yet, so she's pretty much confirmed to be in a wave 2 book. Probably JLA, or Justice League Dark because she's magic based. Either way she'll be on a team.

Not sure about Vibe, a lot of readers don't take him seriously in the comics because of his embarrassing early appearances. So he's less guaranteed to show up even though he's better now.
    Comic book fans know of Vibe's embarrassing first appearance but I think more people now know him from The Flash tv show. Where he's portrayed as funny, smart, and powerful.