Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

If I were going to speculate it might be one of those things where, they didn't pay the creator? I'm not an expert on the character but know she was created by Joe Casey.

Extraordinary Member

maybe they just didn't realised that she is half Asian, she is not a big character and not directly recognizable as non white.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    maybe they just didn't realised that she is half Asian, she is not a big character and not directly recognizable as non white.
    Kinda like how on Avengers Assemble they had Inferno be white despite the fact he's not in the comics.

BANNED

Meh I buy that if they kept hair color black but they changed her to be more obviously white.

Plus I am sorry guys these writers don't have to do any work any more.

We have DC Wiki. You can google it and type in a character name into the search engine and pull up all the relevant info. In what a minute max.

I don't buy any whitewashing or accidental race bending arguments. It takes basic research.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Yeah that change didn't make any sense to me. I was taken by complete surprise when Traci showed up looking like Brenda (green eyes and red hair). I expected her to look Chinese like in comics. I keep telling myself that maybe she's under cover and changed her appearance with magic...
    IIRC Traci had reddish hair in the Architecture and Mortality mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    What the hell DC. You wouldn't make Cyborg white! Why would you make Traci Thirteen white?
    If DC wanted Traci to be the daughter of Dr. Terrence Thirteen, AKA the Ghost-breaker, why didn't they make her white? Terry and his wife, Marie Leeds Thirteen, were both white.

Traci's introduction story never said her dad was the Dr. Thirteen who was the Ghost-Breaker; that was retconned in later. I wish they'd make Traci's dad a different man of the same family, who married an Asian woman named Mei-Hui Lan.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i don't agree. suicide squad was the first truly diverse cast that i can recall where the minority characters actually led the film and meant something to the story.

deadshot, el diablo, waller, and harley quinn all easily were the stars of that project.
    If you talking about team films then you are Wrong.
    Storm did have leadership role in first 3 x-men films but more so in x-men 3.
    Storm was the leader in x-men 3 or had a leadership role.

Of course dc had the first poc led solo film before marvel and that's steel.
    That counts as major diversity for dc films just like the blade films for marvel films for example.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Yup! I've gotten into a lot of debates with people who think the MCU is very diverse. Some try and argue that it's more diverse than the DCEU. How can one argue that when they don't have a single Latino hero/villain in 14 movies!! Its taken 15/16 movies to get Mantis for crying out loud! And all their minority characters are either supporting characters or sidekicks, apart from Black Panther. Oh well can't argue with stupidity lol
    The mcu is highly diverse.
    More so then dceu.
    The movies less so then the shows but still there has been improvements in the films and more upcoming.
    Don't mean to be a wise guy but the mcu for me is all of it,tv,movies,webseries etc..

If someone says mcu to me they have be clear and mention if they are about talking movies,shows,related comics etc..

All of it but i still say the mcu films are more diverse then dceu film if you leave the other mcu stuff out out of it like shows,comics etc..
    Even the aliens shown in the mcu films are more diverse then dceu aliens.

Both marvel and dc shows and movies,comics,games etc.. are doing a really good job overall when it comes to diversity but i still say marvel is doing overall the better job then dc when it comes to diversity and i am not changing my mind about that,no matter what is said after i finish here.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-10-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Kinda like how on Avengers Assemble they had Inferno be white despite the fact he's not in the comics.
    I think Inferno in the avengers assemble cartoon is a poc,and not white.
    He is lighter then kamala but his skin tone and overall look looks close to hers.
    He is darker then captain america and the other white superheroes on the show for example.
    There are latinos and indians(india) for example that are lighter then him but still do not look white if you look at the overall facial features.

I still have not seen all of the new season with kamala and other new inhumans but i am just going by what i seen in the pics so far.
    I will have better idea however when i start watching the recent new season of avengers assemble.

Inferno

Last edited by mace11; 08-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    IIRC Traci had reddish hair in the Architecture and Mortality mini.

If DC wanted Traci to be the daughter of Dr. Terrence Thirteen, AKA the Ghost-breaker, why didn't they make her white? Terry and his wife, Marie Leeds Thirteen, were both white.

Traci's introduction story never said her dad was the Dr. Thirteen who was the Ghost-Breaker; that was retconned in later. I wish they'd make Traci's dad a different man of the same family, who married an Asian woman named Mei-Hui Lan.
    It's so impossible to believe that Marie was not the only woman Thirteen had been with?

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    More so then dceu.
    The MCU is also a lot older than the DCEU.

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

I forgot to mention the generation X tv film.
    That was a diverse marvel team film in the 1990's.
    Of course it was tv film but still a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    More so then dceu.
    The movies less so then the shows but still there has been improvements in the films and more upcoming.
    Don't mean to be a wise guy but the mcu for me is all of it,tv,movies,webseries etc..

If someone says mcu to me they have be clear and mention if they are about talking movies,shows,related comics etc..

All of it but i still say the mcu films are more diverse then dceu film if you leave the other mcu stuff out out of it like shows,comics etc..
    Even the aliens shown in the mcu films are more diverse then dceu aliens.

Both marvel and dc shows and movies,comics,games etc.. are doing a really good job overall when it comes to diversity but i still say marvel is doing overall the better job then dc when it comes to diversity and i am not changing my mind about that,no matter what is said after i finish here.
    Thank you.
    Of course it is to you, because you get to stretch the argument to fit in with properties that Kevin Fiege have absolutely no control or input over. MCU has always been a white gentleman club until Black Panther comes out, in no way is that more diverse than the DCEU.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's so impossible to believe that Marie was not the only woman Thirteen had been with?
    No, but Terry and Marie Thirteen were my favorite DC couple, and I'm peeved at the way they've virtually retconned her out of existence and replaced her with a dead Asian woman.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

ETHNIC & RACIAL DIVERSITY

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Blue Beetle
    Cyborg
    Dr Fate
    Green Lanterns
    New Super-Man
    Suicide Squad's Most Wanted: El Diablo (mini)
    The Vigilante: Southland (mini)

TEAM BOOKS
    Justice League: Cyborg, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz
    Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller, El Diablo, Katana, Killer Croc
    Titans: Bumble Bee
    Teen Titans: Kid Flash, Aqualad (?)
    BOP: Huntress
    Detective Comics: Cassandra Cain
    Green Lantern Corps: John Stewart, Kyle Rayner
    Gotham Academy: Maps Mizoguchi, Kyle Mizoguchi, Colton Rivera, Pomeline Fritch

GENDER EQUALITY

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Batgirl
    Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
    Green Lanterns
    Harley Quinn
    Raven (mini)
    Supergirl
    Supergirl: Being Super (mini)
    Superwoman
    Wonder Woman

TEAM BOOKS
    Justice League: Jessica Cruz, Wonder Woman
    Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller, Enchantress, Harley Quinn, Katana
    Titans: Bumble Bee, Donna Troy, Omen
    Teen Titans: Raven, Starfire
    BOP: Batgirl, Black Canary, Huntress
    Detective Comics: Batwoman, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown
    Outlaws: Artemis
    Gotham Academy: Olive Silverlock, Maps Mizoguchi, Pomeline Fritch

LGBT REPRESENTATION

SOLO/DUO BOOKS
    Apollo and Midnighter (mini)
    Harley Quinn
    Hellblazer

TEAM BOOKS
    Suicide Squad: Harley Quinn
    Teen Titans: Aqualad (?)
    Detective Comics: Batwoman

This thread is dedicated to a CIVIL DEBATE(!) about diversity and minority topics in the DC Universe and any bit of DC related media. Comics, cartoons, tv shows, video games, and live action!! What DC is doing right and what more can be done to improve this area. Come in with an open mind and respect sensible opinions!

I realize there is a New 52 version of this thread but since DC has gone through a rebirth I figured it's time for broader thread to be created. We'll discuss the DCEU, the DCAU, the CW verse, the Injustice universe but the emphasis will be on the source material aka comics. Do you think DC is doing a great job? Or is your opinion of the opposite? Discuss!
    Well it's been a year since I posted this and I figured it would be time for an update. We've gotten several new titles (Dark Matter among them) and some new additions to existing teams! I will be updating the original post in a little bit so I thought I'd quote it first so we can see where we started from in future updates!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Probably have to update this thread soon with all the recent cancellations and team reshuffling going on. I'll wait until we get some concrete lineups though
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!