Thread: New Image Rule?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Image Rule?

Apparently, to help cut down on all the delays, Image is instituting a new policy that creators must have three completed issues before they'll solicit a new book. I think this is smart, but I wonder if it's just for new books or if ones that take time off between arcs are susceptible to this same rule. I don't know much about it because Rob Liefeld mentioned it in passing during his new Youngblood reveal on Nerdy Pop.

https://youtu.be/uk4QuQMvYGI
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Pretty sure it applies to all titles.

Probably made it because of Rob... who back in 2010, announced a new Brigade series and came out with only one issue... then in 2015 a new Bloodstrike series, and only came out with two issues and...
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Rob has his own imprint as far as I know so he probably can do whatever he wants.

Still winning!

Again, these dudes are implementing the type of shit fans have been suggesting for years. For years, fans have suggested directly to the Image people that they take a hand in promoting the comics published by them, like having a magazine. But it's always been "that goes against the creator-owned concept". Now, earlier this year, when they made a magazine, they apparently feel it doesn't go against creator-owned concepts.

Fans have also been suggesting that Image creators have some issues completed before putting a new book out. We get the usual "it goes against creator-owned concept". Now, lo and behold, they are doing another thing fans have suggested for more years. This is the kinda stuff we were talking about in that "should image enforce a deadline policy" thread:

http://community.comicbookresources....ually-come-out

Having 3 issues in the can before starting out a new book is something we were interested in seeing, where guys like capuga, Bor, and other posters were whining, "How is the creator supposed to make money during that time? Do you think it's good he loses money?"

When the magazine came out, a whole bunch of fanboys who had previously said something like that is a stupid idea did a 180 and said that was a brilliant idea. How much do you wanna bet that all the fanboys who previously said "having 3 issues before publishing is a stupid idea" are now gonna call it a brilliant idea?

Fanboys come in three categories:
    1. Those who are willing to speak their mind.
    2. Those who are more or less passive.
    3. Those who are spineless sycophants who parrot anything the creators say. If creators say, "making sure you have 3 issues done before publishing is a stupid idea" then those sycophants will say, "Yeah, it's stupid idea! How can you guys doubt what the creators are saying? They are industry professionals. You're not." Then when the creators say, "I think we'll make sure to have 3 issues out before publishing after all," those fanboys will say, "That's an absolutely brilliant idea. It's so smart of you guys to think of this idea."

This is the reason why the comic book industry can't move forward. The creators let their heads get gassed up from their lapdogs, excuse me, fanboys and then they feel no reason to listen to criticism, even when they see it costs them sales.

I have to wonder why Image is imposing this shit now after customers have been suggesting this for more than a decade. My guess is with Walking Dead and Invincible dying out, they have lost their flagship titles that have done tremendous things to keep them relevant. With those two books gone soon, they realize they are stuck with a whole bunch of uncertain titles that might not come out on time. So they have to do something to kick it up a notch as a way to find solutions to get books that will take the place of Invincible and WD.

I've never, in my years on any comic forum, seen any argue that Image should create some kind of magazine or seen fanboys shoot down that idea. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I've never seen it. I don't really see the downside so I'm not sure what the negative argue would be.

And the having to have 3 issues in the can idea is still problematic from a money standpoint. Is Image provided advances to help keep things afloat in the meantime? I don't know. But it will create a barrier to many creators that won't be able to afford the months of work without some sales in return. I agree that it may possibly help them in the long run. Less delays equal happier fans equal (potentially) more sales in the long run. But that is still going to be a hard sell to some creators that won't have any cash flow coming in the help pay bills for months.

I not arguing if that is good or bad, just a likely reality. Maybe it will weed out that less dedicated creators and help the overall industry in the long run. Or maybe it will stifle entry into the market and reduce the creativity and potential of the industry. I don't know.

However, there is a big, big difference between your publisher having a known, set policy that you can plan around and fans demanding that you work for free to please their desires in a release schedule. If you know going in that you can't publish without issues completed, that is a reality you can plan for and know going into a deal with Image. An entitled fan claiming that a creator needs to work for no money for months just because they aren't getting issues as quickly as they want is a different issue.

And Walking Dead dying out? The singles are a top 10 or 15 seller at around 65,000 in the direct market. Every collected edition sells like hot cakes. There are tons of different merchandise, video games, beer, etc. The TV show is still the #1 show in the demographics. Universal Studios just opened a Walking Dead attraction in their theme park. Invincible is ending of it's own accord, but the thought that Walking Dead is dying out is without merit.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    Again, these dudes are implementing the type of shit fans have been suggesting for years. For years, fans have suggested directly to the Image people that they take a hand in promoting the comics published by them, like having a magazine. But it's always been "that goes against the creator-owned concept". Now, earlier this year, when they made a magazine, they apparently feel it doesn't go against creator-owned concepts.

Fans have also been suggesting that Image creators have some issues completed before putting a new book out. We get the usual "it goes against creator-owned concept". Now, lo and behold, they are doing another thing fans have suggested for more years. This is the kinda stuff we were talking about in that "should image enforce a deadline policy" thread:

http://community.comicbookresources....ually-come-out

Having 3 issues in the can before starting out a new book is something we were interested in seeing, where guys like capuga, Bor, and other posters were whining, "How is the creator supposed to make money during that time? Do you think it's good he loses money?"

When the magazine came out, a whole bunch of fanboys who had previously said something like that is a stupid idea did a 180 and said that was a brilliant idea. How much do you wanna bet that all the fanboys who previously said "having 3 issues before publishing is a stupid idea" are now gonna call it a brilliant idea?

Fanboys come in three categories:
    1. Those who are willing to speak their mind.
    2. Those who are more or less passive.
    3. Those who are spineless sycophants who parrot anything the creators say. If creators say, "making sure you have 3 issues done before publishing is a stupid idea" then those sycophants will say, "Yeah, it's stupid idea! How can you guys doubt what the creators are saying? They are industry professionals. You're not." Then when the creators say, "I think we'll make sure to have 3 issues out before publishing after all," those fanboys will say, "That's an absolutely brilliant idea. It's so smart of you guys to think of this idea."

This is the reason why the comic book industry can't move forward. The creators let their heads get gassed up from their lapdogs, excuse me, fanboys and then they feel no reason to listen to criticism, even when they see it costs them sales.

I have to wonder why Image is imposing this shit now after customers have been suggesting this for more than a decade. My guess is with Walking Dead and Invincible dying out, they have lost their flagship titles that have done tremendous things to keep them relevant. With those two books gone soon, they realize they are stuck with a whole bunch of uncertain titles that might not come out on time. So they have to do something to kick it up a notch as a way to find solutions to get books that will take the place of Invincible and WD.
    No we "whined" that poster in that thread does not to seem to understand how buissness Works. Not only that but many in that thread do not seem to understand the difference between ongoing and monthly. None of us ever said that they should not try and get comics on out time, but that a break between arcs, which so far this rule does not seem to go against, can be nesesarry to ensure that the creator actuallly are able to pay their rent and feed their families. The argument in that thread was that almost all creators delays happens because creators felt bored with the comics they were doing for Image which I still maintain is stupid. Some do perhaps, but saying that all do is ignoring the way Image publishing is put together. If any actual whining is to be found in that other thread it is from people who think their need for a comic is bigger then the creators need to survive. None of that changes with this new rule. In that other thread I maintained that if you know in advance you might have to do a break either do a bi-monthly book, as in every other month, or do like saga with planned breaks between arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Apparently, to help cut down on all the delays, Image is instituting a new policy that creators must have three completed issues before they'll solicit a new book. I think this is smart, but I wonder if it's just for new books or if ones that take time off between arcs are susceptible to this same rule. I don't know much about it because Rob Liefeld mentioned it in passing during his new Youngblood reveal on Nerdy Pop.
    If this is true, Rob Liefeld may never work in this industry again!

And I still like his stuff. I loved Hawk and Dove when it first came out, though they may have been his best work. How was he so popular and then so reviled? I guess that happens with singers and actors, too.