Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Stan Lee
    Mark Gruenwald
    Roy Thomas
    Chris Claremont
    Kurt Busiek

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

In light of many people here mentioning Stan Lee, I felt like asking this question: which of his stories do you prefer more, Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four?

For me, it's Amazing Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    In light of many people here mentioning Stan Lee, I felt like asking this question: which of his stories do you prefer more, Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four?

About 10 years ago I got my hands on the first 6 or 7 Spider-Man Essentials and it was the first time I had ever read those old stories. I remember afyer finishing vol. 2 or 3 that I could now understand how Spidey was some reader's favourite character. Those Stan Lee Spider-Man stories were great. While I appreciate the world building he did in FF, it was the character building in ASM that wowed me.

Boisterously Confused

1. Jack Kirby
    2. Steve Ditko
    3. Roy Thomas
    4. Roger Stern

For number 5, I'm savagely torn between Kurt Busiek and Steve Englehart.

Stan Lee gets an honorable mention because (love him tho i do) he was more an editorial collaborator than a writer.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Chris Claremont
    Steve Englehart
    Roy Thomas
    Jim Starlin
    Roger Stern
    Jim Shooter
    John Byrne

Spectacular Member

Matt Fraction
    Kieron Gillen
    Garth Ennis
    Warren Ellis
    Ryan North

Are my favorites

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

Spider-Man.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Stan Lee gets an honorable mention because (love him tho i do) he was more an editorial collaborator than a writer.
    That is true. What's with all these posters who talk about Stan Lee's Spider-Man stories? Steve Ditko plotted them, usually. It's even acknowledged in the credits of the later issues. Not plotted "by Ditko AND Lee", only Ditko. If there had been a chance to sneak his name in, Stan would have grabbed it. And, after Ditko, it was Romita Senior in the similar role. It's known. Romance stories by a romance artist.

On the other hand, Lee was probably responsible for much of the characterization in those stories, through dialogue alone. (And monologue, of course.)

But it's very problematic and symptomatic of this day and age that people generally cannot understand a different production model than the one fed to them by the media. You know, about that Cult of the Writer (in comics).

If we are going with a top five, it would be hard to include many current day writers.

1. Stan Lee. He was the originator of all things Marvel.
    2. Chris Claremont. He MADE the X-Men a must read for a long long time. It was because of his stories the XMen became what they did.
    3. John Byrne. Avengers. Fantastic Four. Alpha Flight. Sensational SheHulk. This guy was “modern Marvel in the 80s.
    4. Mark Gruenwald (I know I misspelled it). His Captain America and Squadron Supreme was bar none excellent. Great writing style.
    5. Kurt Busiek. He took a broken franchise with The Avengers and brought it back to greatness.

Honorable mentions: Roger Stern. Alan Davis. Fabian Nicieza(his New Warriors were excellent).

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

For me the Top 5 Writers are as follows:
    1. Roy Thomas: Roy was responsible for so very many ideas that are still being mined today. I enjoyed Roy's writing style the most back in the day.
    2. Stand Lee: Stan laid the foundation along with Kirby and Ditko.
    3. Gerry Conway: Such a great writer who followed and filled some pretty big shoes.
    4. Doug Monech: MoKF is STILL an excellent read even today.
    5. Bill Mantlo: Outstanding writer who was underrated.

Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Jim Starlin, Walt Simonson, Kurt Busiek, John Byrne and Roger Stern off the top of my head. Claremont and Conway were also great.

BANNED

Chris Claremont is the only Marvel writer I know who wrote for marvel comics for 17 years! That to me is historic!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Chris Claremont is the only Marvel writer I know who wrote for marvel comics for 17 years! That to me is historic!
    Peter David. He did 12 years on Hulk, 5 years on Captain Marvel, and nearly 12 years on X-Factor.