View Poll Results: who tells better stories ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • marvel

30 71.43%
  • dc

12 28.57%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It was a plot point in that movie that Bruce wasn't his usual self until the very end. The movie didn't even remotely pretend what Bruce was doing was a good thing.
    Yea for some reason people don't get that the bat man is broken. He gets inspired again at superman sacrifice. It's not hard to follow.

Extraordinary Member

I think so far Marvel has told more broadly appealing stories in terms of age groups.

Looking at Civil War and BVS, both of them had a ton of toys in stores. But despite that BVS is not really a movie for kids. Word of mouth after the first weekend probably meant that a lot of parents who were going to take their ten year olds to see Batman and Superman suddenly decided there were better options. On the the other hands for all its fight scenes and deeper themes Civil War still works with a young audience.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Marvel's had a lot longer to get it right, to be fair.

I know they aren't considered part of the fabled "Marvel Cinematic Universe" but does anyone else remember the Punisher movies, or the Nic Cage Ghost Rider flicks, or (gasp) Man-Thing? Those were box office bombs, but the convetional wisdom these days is "Marvel Gets It Right Everytime".

And they mostly do. Now. I've liked, to varying degrees, almost every Marvel U film in the past ten years or so. But again, DC's only been in the game a short while now. Man of Steel, B Vs. S, and Suicide Squad are their only "in universe" flicks so far. Admittedly, they don't seem to have had the same impact (and I haven't seen any of them, because I wasn't impressed at all with the creative direction or the announced creators), but having said that....give them time.

I've heard good things about Batfleck, and there's Wonder Woman and Aquaman to come soon. (I'm not mentioning JL because it's another Snyder effort and whatever you think of him, it's not likely to be the game-changer DC fans are looking for). Give them time. I liked the WW trailer. And a couple of misfires doesn't mean "game over", certainly. It is unfortunate they kind of stumbled right out of the box, but all things can change. The X Men franchise seems to be (mostly) back on its feet after the low point of X3, and Daredevil is back (albeit on a small screen) after the big screen bomb.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Thrust View Post
    The fact that that movie is in that list and American Splendor isn't is a bit crap, to be honest.
    We can debate the specifics, but we have to be honest; none of these MCU movies are classics and none of them will have much of a positive legacy. TDK will be remembered as actualized kino, a classic of the era, much as the original Superman films were for the late 70's.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    We can debate the specifics, but we have to be honest; none of these MCU movies are classics and none of them will have much of a positive legacy. TDK will be remembered as actualized kino, a classic of the era, much as the original Superman films were for the late 70's.
    That's a sobering thought, but it's also true. You're right; of all the Marvel/Disney flicks I have seen, the vast majority of which I have enjoyed, only a handful are ones that stick with me, and would compel me to watch again. Winter Soldier, the first Iron Man, maaybe the first Avengers. (and yeah, I'm partial to the Norton Hulk, but that's almost certainly just a personal preference).

So yeah, not many.

Mighty Member

None of them have told great stories but I find DC movies to be more moving than Marvel's movies. Marvel will probably be looked at for setting a precedent in the film industry and making a working shared universe but I dont see any of their movies being looked backed on fondly, while DC may have a very rocky start, but has a bit more potential to make a memorable movie that I just dont see for Marvel atm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The best comic movies are some of the animated DC ones. They far surpass the cinematic ones. IIRC, Roger Ebert once made that point. Also, I enjoy the LEGO DC movies rather than the somber bloatfests of Bats vs Supes or BatBale.

Marvel animation stinks. While not a movie, the TV Avengers is stupid beyond belief.

When it comes to animation, and just the images themselves, the quality of DC's animated films is almost always subpar. It's an embarrassment that something a visually ugly as The Killing Joke got a theatrical release, it didn't even look good for one of there direct-to-video release. I'm not even sure how the hell something they seemingly wanted to put a little force behind ended up looking do damn cheap. As stories they aren't much to write home about much of the time either, although sometimes they're good.

But yeah, Marvel's animated stuff is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    When it comes to animation, and just the images themselves, the quality of DC's animated films is almost always subpar. It's an embarrassment that something a visually ugly as The Killing Joke got a theatrical release, it didn't even look good for one of there direct-to-video release. I'm not even sure how the hell something they seemingly wanted to put a little force behind ended up looking do damn cheap. As stories they aren't much to write home about much of the time either, although sometimes they're good.

But yeah, Marvel's animated stuff is even worse.
    I enjoyed Planet Hulk thats about it, the Dr strange one was ok the rest i would never watch twice. Dcs are much better under the redhood and of course mask of the phatasm are my favorites.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Not even considering the storytelling, getting their act together with the editing of their movies would come a long way improve WB pieces to begin with.
    Quoted for truth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That's nice, but American Splendor wasn't a Marvel movie, it was an adaptation of Harvey Pekar's comic work. And, it was vastly superior to The Dark Knight.
    I am not saying that TDK doesn't deserve to be on the list, but I am saying that American Splendor should have.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It was a plot point in that movie that Bruce wasn't his usual self until the very end. The movie didn't even remotely pretend what Bruce was doing was a good thing.
    That doesn't even make sense, he spends a whole period before the movie bat branding criminals. It's not a dark knight returns thing where he's just rusty, it's just bad writing.

Example of bad writing, him getting caught in the super secret tech room of Luthor's house and the assistant can clearly see he's doing shady **** and then just leaves him alone. I don't need to really try to rip this movie because CinemaSins already did a way better job highlighting how badly this movie was written and directed.

Spectacular Member

so far the dc movies haven't bee great regardless of the trailers ... lets just hope that WB don't screw up the next two DC movies ....
    Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I wouldnt bet on it.

Spectacular Member

yes i agree the Netflix series are Marvels platform when it comes to dark tone shows !
    Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Netflix shows have pretty much set a new bar in term of overall quality and story-telling for CBM shows, so I wouldn't be so definitive on the TV side of things.
    I can't tell for animation though, I'm too far behind in that department to say anything substantial.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Man of Steel was a cohesive story, with a defined beginning, middle and end, and some people still didn't like it. Granted Superman Returns also had a three act structure and people didn't like that film either.

Suicide Squad was fine. If anything was out of place, it was the soundtrack for the movie. Like, that was the last thing to be added after the movie was put together.
    I really enjoyed Suicide Squad. And at least it featured strong females. Apart from Black Widow, the women in the Marvel movies have been getting worse and worse, from Pepper's dwindling presence in the Iron Man films, to the appalling waste of Jane Foster in the Thor movies, while Sif was reduced from strong leading lady to wallpaper. And even Black Widow was an embarrassment in AoU.

Marvel have done some great movies - Avengers Assemble, Iron Man 1, the Cap. A movies. But AoU, Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and 3 were disappointing. And I shudder to think what kind of film Thor 3 is going to be now the director has decided he wants an 80s style buddy movie - with even more comedy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    That's a sobering thought, but it's also true. You're right; of all the Marvel/Disney flicks I have seen, the vast majority of which I have enjoyed, only a handful are ones that stick with me, and would compel me to watch again. Winter Soldier, the first Iron Man, maaybe the first Avengers. (and yeah, I'm partial to the Norton Hulk, but that's almost certainly just a personal preference).

So yeah, not many.
    I agree with you.I liked Loki in Thor 1 and 2, but the films were otherwise meh. Hemsworth's Thor was much better used in Avengers Assemble.