View Poll Results: who tells better stories ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • marvel

30 71.43%
  • dc

12 28.57%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    One can expect some fundamental elements to be carried over an adaptation, nonetheless.
    Reed's Genius, Jean's telepathy or Bruce Wayne being a first-class detective as the Batman.

It's not that.
    The issue with her investigation is that there's no pay-off to it in this movie (I don't consider her telling to Luthor's face "I know what you did" a satisfaying one). It's not even relevant to Luthor being arrested at the end (or at least, acknowledged by a statement of sort from one of the characters iirc).
    That's as pointless a subplot as it can get.
    Remove it, and you allow the movie room to breathe.
    I'm pretty sure someone does mention that the bullet Lois found was what allowed them to pin the murders on Luthor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Well avengers May be deemed craps it did progress marvel. Man of steel is a great superman movie, yes with a couple flaws, but I think it gets chewed out far to easily because dupes shaped a neck
    No, Man of Steel is just a terrible movie. To say it has a couple flaws is a vast understatement.

Fantastic Member

What flaws does man of steel have? Neck snapping is not a flaw, destruction of metropolis? I for one and many of my friends enjoyed the fight scene and found it realistic of a man in first fight who can move mountains. Pa Kent being hesitant of Clark revealing himself, well to be honest who would want that their son in a realistic way, you would want your son to do things when he was your truely ready and let him live a normal as long as he can. I don't see the problems that other people see

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    What flaws does man of steel have? Neck snapping is not a flaw, destruction of metropolis? I for one and many of my friends enjoyed the fight scene and found it realistic of a man in first fight who can move mountains. Pa Kent being hesitant of Clark revealing himself, well to be honest who would want that their son in a realistic way, you would want your son to do things when he was your truely ready and let him live a normal as long as he can. I don't see the problems that other people see
    Flaws:

- Color palette
    - Faux arty handled camera bullshit
    - Hilariously stupid symbolism
    - Distracting product Placement
    - Giant pseudo-Giger dick spaceship
    - Kryptonian armor is bad knockoff Prometheus Engineer suits.
    - Nothing makes sense
    - Action scenes largely suck
    - CG in final fight makes it look like a cartoon
    - Completely humorless
    - Attempts a humor never work
    - Failure to have scenes it ripped off from other movies work
    - Attempt to make use care when it's time for the neck snap by showing people in direct danger even through the city would be full of dead people because of the fight they just had...so cheap emotional bullshit that doesn't work
    - The tone of the film doesn't work
    - Henry Cavill kind of doing a Christopher Reeve impression doesn't really work
    - Pa Kent is terrible in this movie
    - Superman's costume

I'm sure there's more, but I feel like sleeping.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    One can expect some fundamental elements to be carried over an adaptation, nonetheless.
    Reed's Genius, Jean's telepathy or Bruce Wayne being a first-class detective as the Batman.
    He's never been much of a detective in the movies before. Seems odd to single this particular film out to complain about it when he deviates from the comicbook version in so many other brandnew ways.

And I simply don't agree with the bullet being pointles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    - Color palette
    A valid artistic choice that you personally don't care for.
    - Faux arty handled camera bullshit
    You can follow what goes on in the fights, which is more than can be said of a lot of action movies. Also, a valid artistic choice.
    - Hilariously stupid symbolism
    It's Superman. Comes with the territory.
    - Distracting product Placement
    Didn't notice it, but then I pretty much only notice product placement in Bond movies. Fair, I suppose.
    - Giant pseudo-Giger dick spaceship
    Which is a flaw why? Things one does't like are not flaws. Otherwise the presence of the Mafia would be a massive flaw in The Godfather for me.
    - Kryptonian armor is bad knockoff Prometheus Engineer suits.
    They're not even similar.
    - Nothing makes sense
    Nonsens.
    - Action scenes largely suck
    Action scenes are largely the movies' saving grace. That and casting.
    - Completely humorless
    A) not true, and B) Not a flaw if it were.
    - Attempts a humor never work
    You said it was humourles, now there's humour after all?
    - Attempt to make use care when it's time for the neck snap by showing people in direct danger even through the city would be full of dead people because of the fight they just had...so cheap emotional bullshit that doesn't work
    Fair point.
    - The tone of the film doesn't work
    Works for me. It's a valid artistic choice.
    - Henry Cavill kind of doing a Christopher Reeve impression doesn't really work
    He... didn't do one.
    - Pa Kent is terrible in this movie.
    YES! YES! YES! He's terrible. He sucks. I'm totally giving you this one.
    - Superman's costume
    I vastly prefer it to the classical one. Red underpants, you are not missed.

Spectacular Member

i agree ! I'm kinda worried about justice league to it looks ok in the trailer but I'm kinda worried in how they are going to tell the story in the movie .... keep getting flashbacks of BVS ! hopefully justice league won't be a rushed movie QUOTE=XPac;2261810]I'm still optimistic about Wonder Woman.

But yeah.... Justice League I'm a little worried about.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's never been much of a detective in the movies before. Seems odd to single this particular film out to complain about it when he deviates from the comicbook version in so many other brandnew ways.

And I simply don't agree with the bullet being pointles.
    Those were just samples of what I meant earlier, there are other examples just as jarring, if not more.

Also, if you know what Lois' investigation helped accomplish in this movie, I'm willing to listen.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Nope. It is a choice. But a muted color palette sure was a stupid choice for the bright colorful Superman.

You can follow what goes on in the fights, which is more than can be said of a lot of action movies. Also, a valid artistic choice.
    Other movies having shitty fights doesn't make the shitty fights in Man of Steel good. The faux arty "serious" indie style of shooting is so stupid it's funny, it's like that South Park bit where Cartman thinks dressing nice is being nice. It's also just badly done. When kid Superman is first getting his powers in the classroom, and they're trying to do an Evil Dead kind of thing, the camera not actually being still fucks up the frame and makes it not look as good as it could have. This style that's weirdly being taken on for a Superman film is actually getting in the way of the movie.

Not like this. This is stupid film student thinking they're being deep and clever. It's not deep or clever, it's just unintentionally funny.

Didn't notice it, but then I pretty much only notice product placement in Bond movies. Fair, I suppose.
    They do design a whole fight around product placement.

Which is a flaw why? Things one does't like are not flaws. Otherwise the presence of the Mafia would be a massive flaw in The Godfather for me.
    Stupid dick spaceship in Superman is stupid. I didn't kind spaceship that look like bad Giger ripoffs and dicks were an important part of Superman, I didn't know they were like the mafia in a movie all about the mafia.

True, that's downplaying how similar they are.

Nonsens.
    No, it's true. Nothing about the movie makes any sense. The movie doesn't even give try to give you a reason why the villains don't just go to the Moon, or Mars, or any places else. Why do they even need to terraform Earth? After a moment of discomfort they're perfectly ok Earth, and they've got Superman super powers. Its basically just there because they want to do a third Superman movie with a land deal. They want to do that, ok, but at least try to make it make sense...actually making it make sense would be better, but this movie doesn't even try.

I guess that's why it's a trainwreck, a badly staged unexciting trainwreck.

Is true, unless you're counting the funny things that are unintentionally...I'm not counting those. It is a movie about Superman. Maybe it wouldn't be in a Superman movie if it was good enough to make that work, this movie isn't good enough to make it work

If the humor doesn't work than the movie itself is still humorless. Trying to be funny doesn't make something funny.

Fair point.
    Works for you, doesn't actually work. This movies whole badly done self serious tone is awful, Zack Snyder trying to be "smart" is hilarious, Zack Snyder trying to adopt some psudo indie movie style is hilarious, that he's doing it for Superman is even more hilarious. That he want to put you in the frame of mind that it's real, and then have that big end of movie fight that would logically be killing tons of people doesn't work. He isn't good at bouncing back and forth between tones. A joke about a construction site not having any work related accidents doesn't work when you've design your whole movie to make people think about the countless deaths happening offscreen and then drop it into a fight between the hero and villain that's surely killing tons of people.

He... didn't do one.
    He kind of does, and it clashes with the movies stupid depressing, trying to be realistic, no fun allowed tone.

I'm not talking about the underpants. Although the red underpants help break up the costume.

Spectacular Member

Marvel has had its highs and lows and dc as well. I will say when marvel puts out stinkers they definitely get a free pass. Its not good ethier I know marvels formula used over and over.

Nonsens.

Fair point.

He... didn't do one.

How is Pa Kent terrible?

Nope. It is a choice. But a muted color palette sure was a stupid choice for the bright colorful Superman.

Other movies having shitty fights doesn't make the shitty fights in Man of Steel good. The faux arty "serious" indie style of shooting is so stupid it's funny, it's like that South Park bit where Cartman thinks dressing nice is being nice. It's also just badly done. When kid Superman is first getting his powers in the classroom, and they're trying to do an Evil Dead kind of thing, the camera not actually being still fucks up the frame and makes it not look as good as it could have. This style that's weirdly being taken on for a Superman film is actually getting in the way of the movie.

Not like this. This is stupid film student thinking they're being deep and clever. It's not deep or clever, it's just unintentionally funny.

They do design a whole fight around product placement.

Stupid dick spaceship in Superman is stupid. I didn't kind spaceship that look like bad Giger ripoffs and dicks were an important part of Superman, I didn't know they were like the mafia in a movie all about the mafia.

True, that's downplaying how similar they are.

No, it's true. Nothing about the movie makes any sense. The movie doesn't even give try to give you a reason why the villains don't just go to the Moon, or Mars, or any places else. Why do they even need to terraform Earth? After a moment of discomfort they're perfectly ok Earth, and they've got Superman super powers. Its basically just there because they want to do a third Superman movie with a land deal. They want to do that, ok, but at least try to make it make sense...actually making it make sense would be better, but this movie doesn't even try.

I guess that's why it's a trainwreck, a badly staged unexciting trainwreck.

Is true, unless you're counting the funny things that are unintentionally...I'm not counting those. It is a movie about Superman. Maybe it wouldn't be in a Superman movie if it was good enough to make that work, this movie isn't good enough to make it work

If the humor doesn't work than the movie itself is still humorless. Trying to be funny doesn't make something funny.

Works for you, doesn't actually work. This movies whole badly done self serious tone is awful, Zack Snyder trying to be "smart" is hilarious, Zack Snyder trying to adopt some psudo indie movie style is hilarious, that he's doing it for Superman is even more hilarious. That he want to put you in the frame of mind that it's real, and then have that big end of movie fight that would logically be killing tons of people doesn't work. He isn't good at bouncing back and forth between tones. A joke about a construction site not having any work related accidents doesn't work when you've design your whole movie to make people think about the countless deaths happening offscreen and then drop it into a fight between the hero and villain that's surely killing tons of people.

He kind of does, and it clashes with the movies stupid depressing, trying to be realistic, no fun allowed tone.

I'm not talking about the underpants. Although the red underpants help break up the costume.
    At no point does Cavill do a Reeves impression. I saw nothing resembling Reeves in him and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Hell, quite a lot of the complaints are about how he's nothing like Reeves.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    At no point does Cavill do a Reeves impression. I saw nothing resembling Reeves in him and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Hell, quite a lot of the complaints are about how he's nothing like Reeves.
    The American accent he's putting on for Man of Steel is a Reeves impression. It's not even bad, it just doesn't work within the tone of the actual film it's in. This isn't saying he looks like him, or that the character itself is anything like Reeves Superman, it's just the way he talks.

The American accent he's putting on for Man of Steel is a Reeves impression. It's not even bad, it just doesn't work within the tone of the actual film it's in. This isn't saying he looks like him, or that the character itself is anything like Reeves Superman, it's just the way he talks.
    He doesn't sound remotely similar to Reeves. This is Mr. Fantastic level of stretching.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-29-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is Pa Kent terrible?
    Cause he served no purpose. His advice is always shitty advice, and his death is the dumbest of any heroes parents i can think of atm. Worse then having sandman kill Uncle ben, like 10x worse. Its not badly acted, its badly written. In BvS his vision quest scene was dumb and weird aswell. When smallvilles version of a character is vastly better you got a problem.

Jor el was the only inspirational or likeable guidng force for clark. His speech he gives clark when learns to fly is one the few things in the movie I really enjoyed. Zod was good whenever he was on.screen aswell.