View Poll Results: who tells better stories ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • marvel

30 71.43%
  • dc

12 28.57%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I wouldnt bet on it.
    I'm still optimistic about Wonder Woman.

But yeah.... Justice League I'm a little worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Is there some sort of mission from the zombies...
    For once that the discussion is about the actual products rather than money, don't come in here to ruin things with that kind of inflammatory statement.
    Not everyone consider that money and quality are one and the same.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Editing wise, the Marvel movies are light years ahead. There only misfire editing/story tell wise was AoU, which tried to cram in way too much. And even that relative mess looks sane compared to SS and BvS

Its like WB coming in and chopping a movie to pieces isn't a good thing or something...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

The best comic movies are some of the animated DC ones. They far surpass the cinematic ones. IIRC, Roger Ebert once made that point. Also, I enjoy the LEGO DC movies rather than the somber bloatfests of Bats vs Supes or BatBale.

Marvel animation stinks. While not a movie, the TV Avengers is stupid beyond belief.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Not even considering the storytelling, getting their act together with the editing of their movies would come a long way improve WB pieces to begin with.
    Editing and releasing a coherent story (BvS, for example) would do WB very well.
    The theatrical version of BvS was an incoherent mess. The Ultimate Edition was much better, in that it made things in the story actually make sense, opposed to the head-scratching in the theatrical version. It doesn't make it much of a better movie, mind you, but it is at least watchable.
    But, that is the problem. The Theatrical version should be the version that makes sense and brings in more people to see it.
    Marvel has a tight operation..they have a vision and have been following it with great success, critically, financially, and in making audiences excited.
    So, there really isn't a question, at the moment. Marvel is just making better movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The best comic movies are some of the animated DC ones. They far surpass the cinematic ones. IIRC, Roger Ebert once made that point. Also, I enjoy the LEGO DC movies rather than the somber bloatfests of Bats vs Supes or BatBale.

Marvel animation stinks. While not a movie, the TV Avengers is stupid beyond belief.
    Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes was the best Marvel animated show, though. They followed the DCAU blueprint and created an great show, that felt like the Marvel comics of old.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well considering DC produced the only superhero film that made it into the BBC's top 100 greatest films of the 2000's...
    The fact that that movie is in that list and American Splendor isn't is a bit crap, to be honest.

I voted DC. It may be an incredibly unpopular opinion in this day and age, but I've still to watch a Marvel Studios movie that impressed me from a narrative perspective.

Imho, flicks like the Iron Man trilogy are entertaining almost exclusively because of Robert Downey Jr. The Captain America movies have incredibly weak second halves (I still cannot forgive Falcon outright turning the helicarriers into a minor threat or Cap being relegated to fighting people we're informed are worse than Nazis in WW2) or consciously put plot and coherence away in the background for the sake of cheap cameos and testosterone fairs masquerading as heroes fighting because of serious issues. The story and themes of Guardians of the Galaxy could potentially be pretty interesting, but they're completely wasted because of a hopelessly colourless antagonist and the need to glorify as heroes of our times a quintet (minus one) of protagonists ranging from unlikable to annoying to useless to "just trying too hard to be cool". The first Avengers had potential but it was pretty by-the-numbers and was saved mostly by the novelty of seeing a superhero group forming on screen while the sequel is indefensible, between the carbon copy developments and the villain's plan and priorities changing from one scene to the next. Ant-Man could have been a gem but suffered from Disney's choice to whitewash the protagonist's past.
    Last edited by Powertool; 08-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Thrust View Post
    Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes was the best Marvel animated show, though.
    No that title belongs to Spectacular Spider-Man

Marvel Movies Work because they stick to formula. A formula that took 19 Movies and 12 years(some successes and a bunch of Failures) starting with the first X-men Movie all the way through The Avengers for Feige to complete.

DC's problem was BVS's terrible critical reception. That was their first true attempt at doing a shared universe movie (Man of Steel is a better film but was more self-contained) and it wasn't very good. They then rushed to course correct, which according to The Hollywood Reporter, is a large part of the reason why Suicide Squad was heavily hacked to pieces in the editing room.

They had an unexpected critical flop right out the gate and it's caused them to completely second guess what they were planning.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-27-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I wouldnt bet on it.

Aren't we just a bundle of sunshine.

Edit: I will say though in terms of theatrical releases overall I think DC still has the best superhero film. Because as far as i'm concerned none of the other DC or Marvel films have been able to beat Batman: Mask of The Phantasm in terms of overall quality.

Yes a animated film from the early 90's is better then all the 21st century CBM's combined, go figure.

But hey, that's just my 2-cents.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 08-27-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post
    sorry for the typo ! what i mean is ...

Marvel produce better movies then DC because they no how to story tell ?

when we get to the core of the marvel and dc movies the main to big differences is marvel know how to tell stories while dc seem to struggle to have structure within there story that they tell within there movies .
    No. Disney just hires better writers and directors than Warner Bros does. For the movies anyway. For TV and animation no one beats DC.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 08-27-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Netflix shows have pretty much set a new bar in term of overall quality and story-telling for CBM shows, so I wouldn't be so definitive on the TV side of things.
    I can't tell for animation though, I'm too far behind in that department to say anything substantial.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    DC's problem was BVS's terrible critical reception. That was their first true attempt at doing a shared universe movie (Man of Steel is a better film but was more self-contained) and it wasn't very good. They then rushed to course correct, which according to The Hollywood Reporter, is a large part of the reason why Suicide Squad was heavily hacked to pieces in the editing room.

They had an unexpected critical flop right out the gate and it's caused them to completely second guess what they were planning.
    Which seems valid as they've repeatedly showed they can't really do justice to the source material in tone or direction. I think the warehouse fight to free Martha 2.0 is the only time in the whole movie Batman is behaving like Batman.

Snyder still has a job, so they obviously aren't second guessing their critical flops hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Which seems valid as they've repeatedly showed they can't really do justice to the source material in tone or direction. I think the warehouse fight to free Martha 2.0 is the only time in the whole movie Batman is behaving like Batman.

Snyder still has a job, so they obviously aren't second guessing their critical flops hard enough.
    It was a plot point in that movie that Bruce wasn't his usual self until the very end. The movie didn't even remotely pretend what Bruce was doing was a good thing.