Always Rakzo

Default Newsarama: Flash Writers Talks This Week's Annual and Wally West's New Origin

Always Rakzo

All right, it's cool to see that Venditti and Jensen are actually giving a justifiable reason for Wally's attitude.

However, the best part for me is the amount of sub-plots they have introduced. Seriously, there are several plot-points that these writers introduced in the Annual and I had to re-read the issue a few times to check all of them, I really like this kind of long-term planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I really like this kind of long-term planning.
    same here. it seems to be lacking elsewhere in the New 52 though

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    same here. it seems to be lacking elsewhere in the New 52 though
    I have to say that Lemire's Green Arrow, Venditti's Green Lantern, Azzarello's Wonder Woman and Johns' Justice League have some really good aspects of long-term planning (Jordan's New Guardians too to some extent).

If you want to check other good examples in the New 52 I would suggest you to read Johns' Aquaman and Lemire's Animal Man.

BANNED

Its not Wally. Its a wholly new character who happens to have the same. No thanks.

I have to say that Lemire's Green Arrow, Venditti's Green Lantern, Azzarello's Wonder Woman and Johns' Justice League have some really good aspects of long-term planning (Jordan's New Guardians too to some extent).

If you want to check other good examples in the New 52 I would suggest you to read Johns' Aquaman and Lemire's Animal Man.
    I'd throw in Soule's Swamp thing in as well.

I guess I should have been more specific; I was talking about the Teen titans, suicide squad, before Lemire Green Arrow, before Layman Detective, and many many other titles

Mighty Member

All right, it's cool to see that Venditti and Jensen are actually giving a justifiable reason for Wally's attitude.

However, the best part for me is the amount of sub-plots they have introduced. Seriously, there are several plot-points that these writers introduced in the Annual and I had to re-read the issue a few times to check all of them, I really like this kind of long-term planning.
    They are definitely showing some writing skills that the previous team lacked.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    They are definitely showing some writing skills that the previous team lacked.
    Eh, I think Manapul/Buccellato had some really good ideas and they demonstrated some interesting aspects of plannification (it's not an accident that every story immediately went to another). Plus, I thought that the worldbuilding was pretty good and connecting Gorilla City and Grodd's evolution to the Speed Force was a brilliant move.

However, most of the time the stories lacked the kind of execution that they deserved (especially in the first year). Not to mention that they abandoned a lot of ideas (Mob Rule, Turbine, etc.) and it seems like editorial derailed their stories a couple of times.

Still, I really enjoyed what I got from them, it was a pretty fun run overall.

Mighty Member

Eh, I think Manapul/Buccellato had some really good ideas and they demonstrated some interesting aspects of plannification (it's not an accident that every story immediately went to another). Plus, I thought that the worldbuilding was pretty good and connecting Gorilla City and Grodd's evolution to the Speed Force was a brilliant move.

However, most of the time the stories lacked the kind of execution that they deserved (especially in the first year). Not to mention that they abandoned a lot of ideas (Mob Rule, Turbine, etc.) and it seems like editorial derailed their stories a couple of times.

Still, I really enjoyed what I got from them, it was a pretty fun run overall.
    I enjoyed their run as well. The issues that I had were with the pacing of the stories and some clumsy dialogue. There were also several issues which seemed light on material. I always felt like they put too much emphasis on their creative visual layouts as opposed to a dense creative story. Buccellato's other books seem to be better crafted...

They didn't lose me... but halfway throught the Reverse-Flash arc I started hoping for a new creative team. It just really felt like they had nothing more to give.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I enjoyed their run as well. The issues that I had were with the pacing of the stories and some clumsy dialogue. There were also several issues which seemed light on material. I always felt like they put too much emphasis on their creative visual layouts as opposed to a dense creative story. Buccellato's other books seem to be better crafted...

They didn't lose me... but halfway throught the Reverse-Flash arc I started hoping for a new creative team. It just really felt like they had nothing more to give.
    Oh God, I don't really like most of Buccellato's solo work. Sometimes he can surprise me like in The Flash Annual #2 and his Grodd one-shot from Villains Month but most of the time I find his writing incredibly bland and lacking in polish. I think Manapul is the biggest creative force behind their collaboration.

And funnily enough, I thought that The Reverse-Flash arc was their best story in the title.

I don't even think they needed to offer these justifiable reasons in an interview. Everything they said here is said in the comic in just one page, its just up to the reader to actually read it and let it sink in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't even think they needed to offer these justifiable reasons in an interview. Everything they said here is said in the comic in just one page, its just up to the reader to actually read it and let it sink in.
    Well, yeah, but you do know there's a tendency for some readers to want to be spoon fed....

All-New Member

Me am not tired of fans loving old Wally

Don't get over it

It's not just a comic