Default Postal For A Newbie

I am fairly new to comics as I've only been reading the stuff from the big 2 for about a year (New 52, Marvel NOW!) Green Arrow, Nightwing, Bat Family, Deadpool etc.

I was wondering because of this after hearing some good things about Postal is it a good jumping on point for a relative newbie to get into the independent comic Scene?

Also a little background on Postal would be a little helpful to grab the gist, short of what I already know.

Postal would be a perfectly fine comic to start out with, if the premise interests you. Basically it's a town full of serial killers, living with one rule: no murders can happen here. That way all of these people can live and remain undetected. Of course an eventual murder does take place, drawing (unwanted) attention to a town full of people desperate to avoid attention.

Would probably say it kinda feels like that novel The Curious Incident With The Dog At Night, by which I mean the narration is kind of refreshingly blunt and just slightly darkly humourous. The first collection is pretty cheap too at $7.50, like most entrypoints for Image comics.

Would probably recommend this most if it's the crime elements of Batman and Green Arrow which you enjoy. If it's more about the slightly horror-esque angle, I would probably look elsewhere (Rachel Rising if you can stand black & white, otherwise Revival or Nailbiter).

Id also recommend Hawkins other works; Think Tank, The Tithe, Symmetry, Aphrodite IX etc..

Also, Hawkins is putting out a crossover series called Eden Falls soon, with ties together Postal, Think Tank and the Tithe. Might be worth checking out.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 08-28-2016 at 12:50 PM.

BANNED

Just do what i did lol go nuts lol i just read the forum and watched some youtube comics recomandation videos and made a list of what people like and then i bought Wicked + Divine, Rat Queens, Black Science, Chew, Deadly Class, Lazarus, Low, Nailbiter, Saga and Southern Bastards... i haven't read any of them yet but i can tell you they are all awesome just from what read on the forum and heard. And i got them all as HCs and OHCs btw (since you are new, may be you don't know what OHC means, it means Oversized Hard Cover) Image HC and OHC means this series is as good as to get the HC or OHC treatmant. You may be abit behind of the current story arcs but the books will the best Image has to offer.

Next i will get East of West and Sex Criminals. I heard nothing but great things about these two.
    Last edited by Batarang; 08-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing1984 View Post
    I am fairly new to comics as I've only been reading the stuff from the big 2 for about a year (New 52, Marvel NOW!) Green Arrow, Nightwing, Bat Family, Deadpool etc.

I was wondering because of this after hearing some good things about Postal is it a good jumping on point for a relative newbie to get into the independent comic Scene?

Also a little background on Postal would be a little helpful to grab the gist, short of what I already know.
    Read it! It's about a group of criminals who create their own form of "Witness Protection", in that they create an entire town to disappear to and live in. They are off the grid entirely, doing what they want, with the only rule being no killing and no drawing attention. The main character is the Mayor's son, who has some form of mental disability (not sure if they ever named it, but it seems to be a form of autism). He is highly intelligent but undeveloped socially. His frank and literal view of the world leads to some great moments and insights. He is the perfect black and white voyeur into a world of grey.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Id also recommend Hawkins other works; Think Tank, The Tithe, Symmetry, Aphrodite IX etc..

Also, Hawkins is putting out a crossover series called Eden Falls soon, with ties together Postal, Think Tank and the Tithe. Might be worth checking out.
    Hawkins is the best. I really hope the Tithe comes back at some point. I also hope Symmetry can continue for as long as he wants. Think Tank did not grab me initially, but I will def give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Hawkins is the best. I really hope the Tithe comes back at some point. I also hope Symmetry can continue for as long as he wants. Think Tank did not grab me initially, but I will def give it another try.
    Pretty sure that right now The Tithe's main character is starring in the new series Eden's Fall, which is a cross-over with Postal, Think Tank (and the Tithe obviously).