Default GEN 13 Appreciation Thread!!

So I recently came across a really cool team that I never knew existed in the DCU. Granted I'm somewhat new to comics so I dont exactly know who everyone is. The team sort of reminds of the X-Men in a good way, which leaves me wondering why DC hasn't pushed them more? Anyway share your opinions on the team, share some pictures, and discuss your favorite members!!

I think my favorite is Rainmaker, she has a really cool power set, like Storm. Plus she's Native American and I think that's awesome! Just look at that picture!!! So cool!!! She needs to appear more in the DCU
    Last edited by El_Gato; 08-27-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

There were plans to bring back gen 13 with superboy as a member. Maybe Rebirth will bring back Gen 13 soon in addition to Wildcats. The wildstorm metas included gen 14 which later became part of gen 13 : windsprint ditto runt breakdown hardbody and also DV8.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 08-27-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Ultimate Member

Gen 13, IMO, work best as a package set, as the interactions between them are what really makes them pop. Unfortunately, DC has attempted to yank characters out, like Caitlin Fairchild, and use them on their own, and, IMO again, that just falls flat, since Caitlin works best with her 'family.' Grunge ogling her. Roxy looking up to her. Sarah 'not-really' hitting on her. Fire-dude doing whatever fire-dude does (he's the only one that didn't really catch for me). Etc.

They kind of did the same thing with the Wildcats, trying to cherry-pick Voodoo and Grifter out of the team for their own solo books, and ignoring their ties to Spartan and Zealot, or even each other, which seems kind of backwards, like buying the rights to the Fantastic Four, and then trying to make a Reed Richards solo movie and not mentioning his wife, best friend, etc.

Even more than Gen 13, I miss DV 8. Evo, Sublime, Frostbite, those were some fun kids, with some much more serious issues...

If you can find collected editions of the original Gen 13 and DV 8 runs, go for it. They are pretty fun reads. Perhaps someday DC will do something fun with them, too, but they've got a lot of their own IP/characters lying around, so I doubt it's a priority for them.

Man I loved Gen13. Was stoked having someone like Grunge in the team, a definitely non-stereotypical male East Asian character.

The fact that they had an LGBT(Q) character(a big plus), Rainmaker, who was still trying to feel her way around her sexuality. Like a lot of young people experimenting and trying to find out who they are. When the title first came out, like I guess over 20 years ago, having a gay character was a fairly big deal.

Yeah Gen13 wasn't just some sexy J Scott Campbell artwork.

Am I allowed to mention in an Appreciation thread that I have never forgiven Grunge for killing Kid Apollo? Bring back the Authoriteens!