Default Supergirl: N52 to Rebirth

Hi folks,

I have a brief question and would be grateful for any assistance.

I've been enjoying Supergirl, the television show. It's my first real introduction to the character. It's what convinced me to purchase Supergirl: Rebirth, which I really enjoyed. However I'm wondering, does this story tie into the New 52 books at all? I recognise that it is a jumping on point, but would I gain anything from going back? I know I'll have the time between now and the Supergirl Rebirth TP.

If the two don't flow, I'll probably pass.

Finally, would your recommend the N52 material? A brief google has me interested!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Rebirth appears to be at least a soft reboot of the New 52 stories. The New 52 stories may still be technically canon. Technically, the whole "Cyborg Superman is Supergirl's father" thing came from the New 52, after all. But I'm not expecting to see most of the New 52 stories referenced all that much.

Personally, I'd say you're not really missing out on anything if you skip the New 52 stories altogether. If you're a fan of the Supergirl of the TV show and Rebirth, then New 52 Kara probably wouldn't interest you very much. New 52 Kara was nothing like the Kara you're enjoying on the show or in Rebirth. She was an angry, violent brat who seemed to be on a mission to become the most unlikeable character in the New 52 DCU. She got better at the very end of her run, but by that point everyone had pretty much given up on her book and it was cancelled.

So, if you're interested in the New 52 run, I'd say you probably just want to look for the last arc or two. That's just about the only time when Kara was even starting to resemble the character you enjoy. But again, I don't think you're missing much if you just skip it entirely.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

If you like the tv-show, you can also read the tv-series' tie-in comics "Adventures of Supergirl": https://www.comixology.com/The-Adven...XJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I pretty much liked the entire last volume , particularly the first year. Visually the feel is about the same, so I wouldn't say it's a different tone, just story direction. It really wouldn't hurt to check out the first two trades. the crossover issues were good but a crossover story overall isn't a great investment if you don't like the other titles. From there, for the sake of recommendation, you could honestly skip to the last issues unless you were still curious. The middle and going forward had a kinda rough time setting up a status quo, which is why rebirth starts with a nearly clean slate.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The previous volume had its moments, but faced constant derailment by changing creative teams and crossovers from the larger Superman line, as well as a very different take from the TV show on her character, as a confused, angry outcast prone to short-sighted and often destructive decisions. Her current book seems structured among other things to embrace the tone the TV show set up, and I'd say would almost certainly be more to your tastes.
    Buh-bye

Thank you everyone