Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Some costumes are becoming too grounded for my taste such as the DCEU versions of Killer Frost, Heat Wave, Huntress, Count Vertigo, Maxima, and Harley Quin(SS movie). They just feel watered-down IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Those outfits already look dated. They're all less that 4 years old and they're dated. Stick with the spandex and armor, it'll last longer. Characters should only wear "trendy" outfits if an interest in fashion is part of their character. Not many heroes like that, fortunately.
    ha, I was thinking the same thing
    Batgirl's outfit looks already outdated next to everybody else's new Rebirth outfits. Probably should've changed it a bit or something. Like change the colors, gloves, or boots at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    ha, I was thinking the same thing
    Batgirl's outfit looks already outdated next to everybody else's new Rebirth outfits. Probably should've changed it a bit or something. Like change the colors, gloves, or boots at least.
    And it looks so out of place with the rest of the Bat-Family. Everyone else has tough looking Kevlar and spandex, and then there's Babs standing there in a vaguely steampunk Batgirl cosplay. Also, only a handful of artists know how to make it look good. It looked so ugly in Nightwing that I actually liked her character less because of it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In fact, we comic book fans just might be exceptionally conservative in our expectations of how our favorite characters should be depicted.

I'm still trying to get used to IDW's new look for Rom the Spaceknight.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm trying to remember a time when I was perturbed over a costume change, but I really can't think of one. Not that I don't like some better than others, of course, but I never lost any sleep over them, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Some costumes are becoming too grounded for my taste such as the DCEU versions of Killer Frost, Heat Wave, Huntress, Count Vertigo, Maxima, and Harley Quin(SS movie). They just feel watered-down IMO.
    When you're doing live action, especially on a small television budget, you do what works in that format. Most of Huntress and Maxima's "real" costumes don't even work in the comics.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Maybe it's because they want characters that have uniform look across mediums. A lot of stuff looks good on paper but looks terrible in live action, or is hard to animate.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Maybe it's because they want characters that have uniform look across mediums. A lot of stuff looks good on paper but looks terrible in live action, or is hard to animate. I still maintain that the best costumes are the simple ones. costumes that try and be to fashionable become dated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Why even wear costumes. Why don't they just wear street clothes.
    Superheroes wear costumes to help them stand out on a comic rack (or movie screen) filled with other superheroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Superheroes wear costumes to help them stand out on a comic rack (or movie screen) filled with other superheroes.
    When everybody wears brighly coloured spandex-like yet bulletproof materials, it's the guy dressed like John Constantine that stands out.

BANNED

Making the outfits more functional is the only way the publishers believe the general public will accept superheroes. Although
    they don't admit it, they're embarrassed by the creations that have made them billions of dollars over the years. I won't be
    surprised when costumes are gone altogether and superheroes all look like regular people. Maybe some of the teams will get
    matching work uniforms, but the individual heroes will just grab something out of the closet every day. Anything else they put
    on will have to be job-specific. It will be almost like real life then, and comics will have phased out another reason for their
    popularity in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    When everybody wears brighly coloured spandex-like yet bulletproof materials, it's the guy dressed like John Constantine that stands out.
    Well, everyone is dressed as Constantine, he doesnt stand out anymore.

In this day and age of generic looking websites and logos I'm surprised that superhero costumes are going for a busy look instead of a generic look.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Now? have been for a long time. That's just my tastes though. I still find the occasional interesting story; but, the percentage dropped off significantly after the Millennium. Part of it is reading them since the dawn of the Bronze Age. I've pretty much seen all of the plots there are to be written; most things are just a variation of the same. Some can do that and add a nice twist, or a fun touch; but, a large portion just feel like chewing the same cud. The rest is that so much stuff just looks like generic superhero stories to me, in the past several years. Movies are the same way, especially action/adventure films. I can pretty much tick off the story beats. Every once in a while, somebody will surprise me, though, which is why I keep checking back. Thing is, DC used to have a lot more alternate material than they do now; so, when their superhero books weren't grabbing me, something like American Century or Ex Machina often would.. I haven't seen as much of that, lately; at least, not anything that interests me.
    Um, the thread is about superhero costumes. Not superhero stories.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, everyone is dressed as Constantine, he doesnt stand out anymore.
    Everyone's dressed like Constantine now? Awesome! It's about time!

Trenchcoats and Lucky Strike cigarettes for everyone!

The problem isn't the costumes. The problem is boring artists and the DC House style they've been using since the mid-2000s. 'Course, whenever any artist deviates from that you get some fans complaining that the book looks too indie so what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Not if it ends up homogenizing looks and makes the heroes seem like something else.

For example, I dig this art. But I could do without the lines that make them all seem like they're wearing armor. Instead of feeling like superheroes, they kinda feel more like secret agents in tactical suits, which deemphasizes their abilities a bit.

That's why a lot of people prefer Batfleck's suit to Bale's.
    You can't tell what abilities a superhero has just by looking at their costumes. If the League was wearing non-armored outfits in this image, I still wouldn't tell what abilities they have assuming this was my introduction to these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Killer Frost, Huntress, Vertigo, Maxima and Heat Wave are not in the DCEU.