View Poll Results: whats up with Superman ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad story telling ?

32 74.42%
  • bad casting

1 2.33%
  • not following the comics ?

10 23.26%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Steve listeins to Tonys side twice, almost signs untill he finds out about wanda being kept on lockdown and Bucky escapes. Then stopping the other winter soldiers becomes the priority ironman wont listein so they have to go through them.
    And all that is just as made up as "Superman is feeling down because the director shows us scene after scene of the world crapping on everything he does."

Thats one scene of the movie, one of the few i really liked. The muted colors lessened its impact, Jor El's speech is the most supermanish moment in the movie imo
    I also pointed out a great many other scenes in MOS and BvS where Superman showed happiness and positivity. That one scene was the only one (so far) where another poster felt the need to attack it's validity as a scene of Superman being positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    He doesn't laugh. He says: "ha, ha".
    Sooooo.....what do laughs sound like where YOU'RE from?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Ack! Bad editing attempt!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    George Reeves' Superman grinned a lot and I never got the idea he was grinning because he was mentally ill. It more seemed he was bemused by the stupidity of everyone around him. I guess that is the Superman I prefer. One that is bold and confident. Happy and proud to be a hero who knows he is helping people and making a difference. Not some woe is me, why does nobody love me, why was this burden thrust upon me type of superhero.
    How about a hero that does the right thing consistently, regardless of public opinion? A superhero who's very existence throws everything we know into question, causing massive repercussions with his very actions, and yet that does not deter him from helping everyone he can? That hero would NOT be happy all the time, but he is a hell of a lot more interesting then the Superman you describe.
    Last edited by MikeP; 08-30-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The same as in most place I would wager. They most certainly don't sound like someone uttering 2 syllables without a hint of joy or amusement.

The same as in most place I would wager. They most certainly don't sound like someone uttering 2 syllables without a hint of joy or amusement.
    Thankfully, that's not what Superman did when he started flying.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ironman and cap act like being a hero is a burden?
    Sure, man.

See the Iron Man 1 after Pepper learns that Tony wants to continue his crusade across the planet of finding his weapons and destroying them. "There is nothing else. There's the next mission and that's it", Tony told Pepper. Then IM3, which is all about Tony coping with being Iron Man after all that he had done and seen. Unfortunately, Tony would rather continue tinkering in his lab and keep wearing the suit, rather than walk away. Which did come back to bite him in Cap 3, when Pepper left him. In IM3, Tony promised her he'd give it up, but Tony couldn't do it. He couldn't or wouldn't keep his promise. He feels a lot of responsibility as a hero, hence his stance for registration in Cap 3.

Steve Rogers is the same way. See TWS, with Steve's doubts about caring out SHIELD missions of the clandestine sort, and later in the movie when he learns that HYDRA had infiltrated SHIELD. Everything Cap believed he was fighting for turned out to be a lie. Widow had a similar crisis of faith in TWS. In Cap 3, Cap felt it was his responsibility to continue the mission of the Avengers without having to answer to some form of authority. Cap having previously burned by such things in Avengers (when he discovered the Tesseract experiments), and TWS (as explained above).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Sure, man.

See the Iron Man 1 after Pepper learns that Tony wants to continue his crusade across the planet of finding his weapons and destroying them. "There is nothing else. There's the next mission and that's it", Tony told Pepper. Then IM3, which is all about Tony coping with being Iron Man after all that he had done and seen. Unfortunately, Tony would rather continue tinkering in his lab and keep wearing the suit, rather than walk away. Which did come back to bite him in Cap 3, when Pepper left him. In IM3, Tony promised her he'd give it up, but Tony couldn't do it. He couldn't or wouldn't keep his promise. He feels a lot of responsibility as a hero, hence his stance for registration in Cap 3.

Steve Rogers is the same way. See TWS, with Steve's doubts about caring out SHIELD missions of the clandestine sort, and later in the movie when he learns that HYDRA had infiltrated SHIELD. Everything Cap believed he was fighting for turned out to be a lie. Widow had a similar crisis of faith in TWS. In Cap 3, Cap felt it was his responsibility to continue the mission of the Avengers without having to answer to some form of authority. Cap having previously burned by such things in Avengers (when he discovered the Tesseract experiments), and TWS (as explained above).
    Not to mention the movies have implied that Steve wants to be an Avenger, not because he likes being a hero, but because he has nothing else to live for. It's easy to look at his behaviour in Civil War as a man trying to justify his increasing need for combat.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    You need extra entries on the Poll:

4.The general audience is ignorant and Donner Superman has irreparably poisoned the character for general audiences.

5. He should become "Superman" off screen, and skip all of that Character development, like Donner Superman.

6. Humanity should cheer for Superman unconditionally and not criticize him at all, like Donner Superman.

Snyder Superman is plenty hopeful, it's the world that Snyder Superman inhabits that's taken a meaner more cynical turn.
    Well said.

Btw, did anyone stop reading Kingdom Come half way through because Superman lost faith in himself and his place in the world and just chalk it up to bad storytelling?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Sure, man.

Tony see's it as a Burden, which is why creates Ultron, so he can go home to Pepper. Steve see's it as his responsibility as a Soldier in a never ending conflict. If anything Steve is more like Batman, "there is only the Mission, and the Mission never ends." And when the law and government step in and tell him no, he goes full outlaw.

Superman is different, he hopes to end the Mission by inspiring every person to at least strive for that ideal.
    Last edited by unholyrevenger72; 08-30-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    Tony see's it as a Burden, which is why creates Ultron, so he can go home to Pepper. Steve see's it as his responsibility as a Soldier in a never ending conflict. If anything Steve is more like Batman, "there is only the Mission, and the Mission never ends." And when the law and government step in and tell him no, he goes full outlaw.

Superman is different, he hopes to end the Mission by inspiring every person to at least strive for that ideal.
    Yet Tony grandstands and loves declaring Ironman. Being a hero has draw backs but watching this version of tony u believe he lives off the attention being Ironman brings. He says hes retiring after AoU that clearly didnt happen. In ironman 1 it wasnt a burder, it was his responsibility because he saw the damage his weapons had created. By AoU he seems like hes getting tired of it. Ill admit that. Steve fights for whats right and thats all he has, its not a burden its his saving grace. He cant look the other way even before he had powers. He doesnt fight for the law he fights for what he believes is right.

I wouldnt say superman sees it as a burden in MoS he just looks like thats how he feels half the time. There a great superman that could universally loved inside canvill. We have only gotten glimpses so far. They need to bring back Jor el. Zods gone but Jor El was amazing in MoS. He was everything id want Pa kent to be. His speech was the best dialogue in any Dceu movie thus far imo.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-30-2016 at 04:35 PM.

And all that is just as made up as "Superman is feeling down because the director shows us scene after scene of the world crapping on everything he does."

I also pointed out a great many other scenes in MOS and BvS where Superman showed happiness and positivity. That one scene was the only one (so far) where another poster felt the need to attack it's validity as a scene of Superman being positive.

Ok but tony and steve are the essentially the same charatcers we knew nd loved. Your talking about story plot not the essence of the charatcer. Superman comes off different iono if its him or.just the tone of the movies tbh. Its hard to pinpoint. Doesnt make it wrong but its doesnt invalidate mine and plenty of other ppls feelings on the subject. Agree to disagree i.suppose. weird thing is i loved Deadshot in SS. So maybe he depends on your connection to a version of a character.

One of the most miserable and unlikable portrayals of a ''superhero'' I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Zack Snyder has the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old, so he thought this adolescent angst would be interesting and cool.
    And this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing how Superman is depicted on the second season of Supergirl. From everything I have read it looks like we will be getting the real Superman.
    We don't need Superman on Supergirl at all. It is unfortunate that people can't see past their chauvinism and let the show be about Supergirl. Who cares how he is portrayed on a show called Supergirl? Let the collective creators bring us something new and different.

Mighty Member

2)

3) If what he was doing during his first flight was supposed to be smiling, I couldn't tell. Mostly frowns with 4 layers of vertical furrows between his eyes, and grimaces that tangentially approach what could conceivably be considered to be a smile by someone who only knows about smiles from written sources.
    And you became a facial recognition expert from watching Tim Roth's show on Fox a couple of seasons back? This last point is so far out I don't even know where to begin.

Nope. Every word I wrote was correct unless you can prove that Snyder was lying about taking Superman through a journey, or if you can prove that people do go grinning through life when the entire world hates them, or if you can prove that I'm lying about all those moments where he DID show genuine happiness in the movies.
    That makes no sense at all. Why exactly does the entire world hate Superman all of a sudden? In past incarnations Superman was a beloved character to the entire world. What exactly is there to hate about him? So basically Snyder sets up a false world where people hate Superman to give Snyder the excuse to make Superman sullen and morose.