View Poll Results: whats up with Superman ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad story telling ?

32 74.42%
  • bad casting

1 2.33%
  • not following the comics ?

10 23.26%
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Jewish imagery.

Siegel & Shuster saw Superman as a Moses allegory.
    maybe so, but the Christ saviour allegory has long since overtaken that concept. as far back as Brando's lines in the first Reeves movie. "For that reason above all... I have sent them you... my only son..."

It's practically quoting the New Testament.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-09-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

That wasn't under dispute. This was about the claim that "un-subtle christian imagery" had been present in Superman since day 1. Which it obviously wasn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    maybe so, but the Christ saviour allegory has long since overtaken that concept. as far back as Brando's lines in the first Reeves movie. "For that reason above all... I have sent them you... my only son..."

It's practically quoting the New Testament.
    Yes, but that's not even remotely "pretty much from day 1".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Yes, but that's not even remotely "pretty much from day 1".
    But consider too that Donner didn't get that idea from nothing. The parallels between Superman and Christ are readily evident, even if that isn't what his creators intended.

In other words, no matter what Siegel and Shuster had in mind readers also bring their own subtext to the story. So the statement is probably accurate, that from the very early days of the character many readers associated him with a Christ-like figure.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    But consider too that Donner didn't get that idea from nothing. The parallels between Superman and Christ are readily evident, even if that isn't what his creators intended.

In other words, no matter what Siegel and Shuster had in mind readers also bring their own subtext to the story. So the statement is probably accurate, that from the very early days of the character many readers associated him with a Christ-like figure.

A guy who was sent away by his parents to be raised by strangers to save his life and then grows up to be a hero who brings hope to the hopeless. Sounds more like moses then jesus to me. Which was the orignal intention i assume

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Zack Snyder has the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old, so he thought this adolescent angst would be interesting and cool.
    Do you think Zack is a fan of 90's grimdark gritty comics? not a good sign is it?

And do you think him and Goyer took the wrong lessons from Nolan's Batman trilogy and do you think DC Cinematic Universe being grim and gritty is like the 90's dark age of comics era brought to life? remember that period of comics called the 90's which is an era comic fans depise?

Remember how some comics took the wrong lessons from Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kevin Eastman Turtles and Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira?

Do you think Marvel Studios is going for the feel of silver bronze and iron age comics of the 60s 70s and 80s with their style on film while DC is stuck in the 90's dark age of comics period thinking the 90's was the best time for comics?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Do you think Zack is a fan of 90's grimdark gritty comics? not a good sign is it?

And do you think him and Goyer took the wrong lessons from Nolan's Batman trilogy and do you think DC Cinematic Universe being grim and gritty is like the 90's dark age of comics era brought to life? remember that period of comics called the 90's which is an era comic fans depise?

Remember how some comics took the wrong lessons from Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kevin Eastman Turtles and Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira?

Do you think Marvel Studios is going for the feel of silver bronze and iron age comics of the 60s 70s and 80s with their style on film while DC is stuck in the 90's dark age of comics period thinking the 90's was the best time for comics?
    I think what happened is Snyder saw the success of Watchmen and 300 coupled with WB's success of the Nolan Batman trilogy plus the failure of Superman Returns and they all somehow got the idea that all comic book movies need to be grim/dark. I'm not even sure the comic book era has anything to do with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think what happened is Snyder saw the success of Watchmen and 300 coupled with WB's success of the Nolan Batman trilogy plus the failure of Superman Returns and they all somehow got the idea that all comic book movies need to be grim/dark. I'm not even sure the comic book era has anything to do with it.
    Watchmen was not succesful. It didn't even break even.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Very interesting! So the whole comic fan community despises the age that brought us works like (and I'll limit myself to the Big 2):

Preacher
    Peter David's Aquaman
    X-Statix
    Sandman Mistery Theatre
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther
    Green Lantern Mosaic
    Mark Waid's The Flash
    Peter David's X-Factor
    J.M. DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man
    Martian Manhunter
    Warren Ellis' Excalibur
    Astro City
    Deadpool
    Peter David's Supergirl
    Lucifer
    Superman's triangle era
    Inhumans
    Hitman
    Chuck Dixon's Punisher
    Chuck Dixon's Robin
    Thunderbolts
    JLA
    Legion of Super-heroes vol.4
    Books of Magic
    Young Justice
    Marvels
    James Robinson's Starman
    Shade the Changing Man

only because of Liefeld and his clones? Are you saying that if they're not lightearted fluff they deserve to go down the drain? No wonder it'll be nothing short of a miracle if the comic book industry still produces comic books 50 years from now. With such a widespread lack of taste...
    Last edited by Powertool; 09-11-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Zack Snyder has the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old, so he thought this adolescent angst would be interesting and cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Very interesting! So the whole comic fan community despises the age that brought us works like (and I'll limit myself to the Big 2):

Preacher
    Peter David's Aquaman
    X-Statix
    Sandman Mistery Theatre
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther
    Green Lantern Mosaic
    Mark Waid's The Flash
    Peter David's X-Factor
    J.M. DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man
    Martian Manhunter
    Warren Ellis' Excalibur
    Astro City
    Deadpool
    Peter David's Supergirl
    Lucifer
    Superman's triangle era
    Inhumans
    Hitman
    Chuck Dixon's Punisher
    Chuck Dixon's Robin
    Thunderbolts
    JLA
    Legion of Super-heroes vol.4
    Books of Magic
    Young Justice
    Marvels
    James Robinson's Starman
    Shade the Changing Man

only because of Liefeld and his clones? Are you saying that if they're not lightearted fluff they deserve to go down the drain? No wonder it'll be nothing short of a miracle if the comic book industry still produces comic books 50 years from now. With such a widespread lack of taste...
    Good examples.

What about The Maxx, Sin City, The Mask, Ghost in The Shell, Road to Perdition etc.? other gems

BANNED

I don't know about the whole comic fan community, but that is an amazingly accurate representation of the sorts of reasons I left comics.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I don't know about the whole comic fan community, but that is an amazingly accurate representation of the sorts of reasons I left comics.
    Then why are you even here?

BANNED

Then why are you even here?
    You'll notice it's been a long, long time since I've posted in a comics forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    You'll notice it's been a long, long time since I've posted in a comics forum.
    You're right. *phew* That was a dangerous bullet we all dodged.

BANNED

You're right. *phew* That was a dangerous bullet we all dodged.
    Yes. Dodges don't happen often when you point the gun at your own head.