View Poll Results: whats up with Superman ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad story telling ?

32 74.42%
  • bad casting

1 2.33%
  • not following the comics ?

10 23.26%
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Very interesting! So the whole comic fan community despises the age that brought us works like (and I'll limit myself to the Big 2):

Preacher
    Peter David's Aquaman
    X-Statix
    Sandman Mistery Theatre
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther
    Green Lantern Mosaic
    Mark Waid's The Flash
    Peter David's X-Factor
    J.M. DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man
    Martian Manhunter
    Warren Ellis' Excalibur
    Astro City
    Deadpool
    Peter David's Supergirl
    Lucifer
    Superman's triangle era
    Inhumans
    Hitman
    Chuck Dixon's Punisher
    Chuck Dixon's Robin
    Thunderbolts
    JLA
    Legion of Super-heroes vol.4
    Books of Magic
    Young Justice
    Marvels
    James Robinson's Starman
    Shade the Changing Man

only because of Liefeld and his clones? Are you saying that if they're not lightearted fluff they deserve to go down the drain? No wonder it'll be nothing short of a miracle if the comic book industry still produces comic books 50 years from now. With such a widespread lack of taste...
    Not the whole comic book fan community, but a good deal of the online comic book fan community sure seem to love to bitch about '90s comics as a whole.

All-New Member

Because you can tell any kind of story with Superman. You can tell a story where he is all happy happy and you can tell a story where he is a little more depressed, which in this case it makes a lot of sense given everything that happens in both of these movies. It's not bad storytelling, it's just a creative choice. If you're not willing to accept this type of approach you should simply stick to cartoons.
    Last edited by Krow; 09-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Krow View Post
    Because you can tell any kind of story with Superman. You can tell a story where he is all happy happy and you can tell a story where he is a little more depressed, which in this case it makes a lot of sense given everything that happens in both of these movies. It's not bad storytelling, it's just a creative choice. If you're not willing to accept these type of approach you should simply stick to cartoons.
    No, these movies are very bad storytelling. May if some wants a "serious" movie, like in the way these are trying, (and they only ever try) than maybe they shouldn't be trying to get it out of Superman.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    No, these movies are very bad storytelling. May if some wants a "serious" movie, like in the way these are trying, (and they only ever try) than maybe they shouldn't be trying to get it out of Superman.
    That's your opinion. I don't agree with it. You can approach Superman in a wide number of different ways. If artists had your mentality we wouldn't have all the characters and stories we have now, because they wouldn't be willingto do any sort of experimentation.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Because in comics the civilian population of the planet are never a character. They are just a thing heroes have to save.

In movies the civilian population is a character and their opinions are heard.
    It's a good way to put it

BANNED

That's your opinion. I don't agree with it. You can approach Superman in a wide number of different ways. If artists had your mentality we wouldn't have all the characters and stories we have now, because they wouldn't be willingto do any sort of experimentation.
    Maybe you can, but these two movies do a shit job of it.

If WB had my mentality you'd have a bunch of new characters because Man of Steel and Batman v Superman would be about completely different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yes. Dodges don't happen often when you point the gun at your own head.
    If your metaphor actually meant something, I totally didn't get it. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Not the whole comic book fan community, but a good deal of the online comic book fan community sure seem to love to bitch about '90s comics as a whole.
    My point exactly.
    Last edited by Powertool; 09-12-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Very interesting! So the whole comic fan community despises the age that brought us works like (and I'll limit myself to the Big 2):

Preacher
    Peter David's Aquaman
    X-Statix
    Sandman Mistery Theatre
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther
    Green Lantern Mosaic
    Mark Waid's The Flash
    Peter David's X-Factor
    J.M. DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man
    Martian Manhunter
    Warren Ellis' Excalibur
    Astro City
    Deadpool
    Peter David's Supergirl
    Lucifer
    Superman's triangle era
    Inhumans
    Hitman
    Chuck Dixon's Punisher
    Chuck Dixon's Robin
    Thunderbolts
    JLA
    Legion of Super-heroes vol.4
    Books of Magic
    Young Justice
    Marvels
    James Robinson's Starman
    Shade the Changing Man

only because of Liefeld and his clones? Are you saying that if they're not lightearted fluff they deserve to go down the drain? No wonder it'll be nothing short of a miracle if the comic book industry still produces comic books 50 years from now. With such a widespread lack of taste...
    Anything written by Peter David in the 80's and 90's is pretty much gold
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Because you can tell any kind of story with Superman. You can tell a story where he is all happy happy and you can tell a story where he is a little more depressed, which in this case it makes a lot of sense given everything that happens in both of these movies. It's not bad storytelling, it's just a creative choice. If you're not willing to accept this type of approach you should simply stick to cartoons.
    And yet if the last 5 years have shown anything its that a CARTOONS can be truly awesome in a way that often puts comics and movies to shame.

Thundercats.
    Avengers EMH
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Young Justice.

All these were GREAT examples of serial storytelling in medium widely looked down upon but which in truth has come leaps and bounds in the last two decades.

Young Justice especially was an excellent example of clever storytelling that did not patronize its audience but also had fun.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And yet if the last 5 years have shown anything its that a CARTOONS can be truly awesome in a way that often puts comics and movies to shame.

Thundercats.
    Avengers EMH
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Young Justice.

All these were GREAT examples of serial storytelling in medium widely looked down upon but which in truth has come leaps and bounds in the last two decades.

Young Justice especially was an excellent example of clever storytelling that did not patronize its audience but also had fun.
    The fact that those cartoons have an audience doesn't mean everyone likes them. I don't, for example. I would never waste my time with something like Young Justice. I prefer content that's a little more mature. I'm no longer 13, so it's simply a natural evolution.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way Superman is depicted in the new movies. They might not be perfect and there's definitely still room for improvement, but at the end of the day, Snyder and Cavill made Superman relevant again, something not even Bryan Singer was able to do. Plus, Man of Steel is my favourite Superman movie ever and one of the best CBM's ever as far as i'm concerned. If you wanna see something more colorful you can read over 50 years of comic books, watch cartoons or simply stick with whatever Marvel is doing. There are plenty of options for you out there.

All-New Member

BTW, this poll is absolutely stupid and pretentious. It's like the TS treats this as a fact, so the only options available are negative options.

There's absolutely nothing more "mature" about MoS than most of those cartoons. It pretends to be, but it fails spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    There's absolutely nothing more "mature" about MoS than most of those cartoons. It pretends to be, but it fails spectacularly.
    MoS is a better made movie then BvS but darker doesnt make it more mature then other superhero movies. I mean the movie has the dumbest death of a heros parent ever imo. And silly crap like a female military officer talking like paris hilton.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    MoS is a better made movie then BvS but darker doesnt make it more mature then other superhero movies. I mean the movie has the dumbest death of a heros parent ever imo. And silly crap like a female military officer talking like paris hilton.

It's not more mature because it's darker. It's more mature because it actually takes time to show how the events of the story have a deep emotional impact on the characters. It's more mature because it feels like it actually happens in the real world, with real people, real locations.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

In rewatching BATMAN V SUPERMAN, I think I hate the portrayal of Superman even more. I'm just over it 100%.